What to do with Romaine Lettuce?

e_elizb
e_elizb Posts: 62 Member
Other than a salad what can you do with Romaine lettuce that is nutritious and delicious? I have a ton and don't know what to do with it. I can't eat that much salad.

Replies

• If you have full leaves, use as a wrap.
  • 130annie
    130annie Posts: 339 Member
    Chop it up and throw it in soup...
  • baileybiddles
    baileybiddles Posts: 457 Member
    I love taco salad more than life itself. Romaine, a little shredded chedder, diced tomato and 80/20 ground beef with taco seasoning.

Good amount of veg, good source of protein from cheese and beef, and I like to get the lower sodium taco mix. It's delicious and takes about 10 minutes to throw together. Cut your romaine and tomato while the beef simmers and BAM, you're done.

I will say this, though; don't make enough for leftovers. When it goes into the fridge the fat from the hamburger solidifies and gets pretty gross. It's a one serving sort of thing.
  • Griffin220x
    Griffin220x Posts: 399
    Put it on a sandwich or burger.
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    I don't think there is a lot you can do with lettuce. It is gross when cooked (I tried arugula in eggs once, please learn from my mistakes).

Wrap is a great idea, I do this when I'm carb heavy for the day. Stick it into everything you eat that isn't cooked-- if you're having veggie sticks, wrap each piece with lettuce first, eat it in every sandwich, burger, etc. If all else fails, it probably wasn't very expensive if you don't eat it all. :)
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Use it as toilet tissue. Use the bigger leaves of course.
  • ghhosstt
    ghhosstt Posts: 112
    you can put the leaves with a little olive oil and spices (garlic, salt and pepper) on foil on the grill for a snack.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    If you have whole heads of it, splash some olive oil and put some salt/pepper on it and grill it. I know it's technically "salad," but it is a very different kind of taste.
  • floppybackend
    floppybackend Posts: 52 Member
    French recipe peas and onions, cooked down in stock. usually use baby gems but sure this will work too.

http://www.food.com/recipe/petits-pois-la-fran-aise-french-style-peas-297872
  • jobean12
    jobean12 Posts: 99 Member
    make a tuna fish wrap or any other kind. chicken salad, egg salad, etc. Just wrap all the goodies inside!
  • ghhosstt
    ghhosstt Posts: 112
    you can put the leaves with a little olive oil and spices (garlic, salt and pepper) on the grill for a snack.
  • F1uffy123
    F1uffy123 Posts: 121 Member
    If you have full leaves, use as a wrap.

yup this is what i do, i actually prefer it to tortilla wraps.

Chicken fajita filling or mince turkey chilli, anything you like really :)
  • fitgal05
    fitgal05 Posts: 149
    Put it in a fruit smoothie
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Eat it?

Yeah I didn't read the post I am just answering with the logical answer.