What am I missing/doing wrong?

Options
Hi~ I'm hoping someone can help me! I have the Polar FT 7 HRM. (this is my 2nd one). The 1st one I exchanged for a new one because it started giving me wonky readings (after about 2 months), dropping to 0 & washing/wetting & battery change didn't seem to make a difference. I've had this one for about 3 weeks. I'm doing a "Get Running" program. Sunday, my calories burned dropped to 204 (for 2.4 miles) where last week it said 267 cals for 2.35 miles. I washed the strap. Today for 28 min I burned 221 cals for 2.50 miles - which although better than the last time (since washing it). However, still not at or higher the amount from last week. I've noticed a few times the heart rate drops to 0 (not sure if that's normal?)

I disconnect the strap & the sensor after each workout. I rinse the strap after workout. I wet the stap before putting it on.

What is going on? So many people LOVE their Polars --- why are mine going wonky after a short amount of time? Anyone else with similar experience?

The treadmill workout isn't the only one that seems off ~ I also do turbo fire and noticed my cals burned have been lower than when I first got the HRM. Not by much, but enough to notice, and wonder why I'm pushing harder and getting less of a cal burn showing.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Replies

• Beata375
    Beata375 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Anyone?
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    You're becoming more fit?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    The only thing I can think of is that you are working in variable HR zones for the same exercises.
  • drmryder
    drmryder Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    The lower readings from one workout to the next same workout could truly be coming from you and that your heartrate didn't stay at the exact same level for the whole time. I was thinking that there could be some interference with the treadmill if it has the ability to measure heartrate already (sensors in the handrails sort of thing). I'd also triple check your settings just to be safe.

I haven't had a whole lot of issues with mine. Some days i swear I worked harder than what my cal burn shows, but just a wee bit of different intensity can change the whole reading in the end. Keeping your heartrate at say 140 or above and then the next time it dips below once or twice can read 10-20 cals different.
  • AllergicToExercise
    AllergicToExercise Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    When I do the same workout, I burn different amounts of calories each time (it's never massively different though). Some days I must just work harder than others. I've had the problem with mine going to zero and found that if I tightened the chest strap so it was more fitted, it helped the situation.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    No, it's not normal, or correct, for you to get a 0 reading on your heart rate. This means that something is not working correctly. It happens to me now and then with my FT4 and I believe it's mostly due to the strap not being tight enough (it should be snug) or when I get super sweaty and the strap gets slippery.

As far as fluctuations go, this does happen. You're not always going to get exactly the same calorie burn for the same workout. I find morning workouts and ones around TOM can be lower than my average workout. And sometimes it just happens for no apparent reason I can figure out. Either way, that's why we use HRMs, so you're not going by some guesstimate calculation (like from a cardio machine or MFP's exercise database) but using a calcualation more personalized to your actual stats and effort.

I'll also add that HRMs aren't 100% correct anyway, it's a calculations based on the information you give the machines. Some machines are more accurate where you can imput your V02 max but even with that, if you're using an estimated calculation or not having it tested regularly, it can be off. But again, it's better than most estimates.

P.S. And yes, the above responder is correct. As you lose weight and become more fit, you will burn less calories doing the same activity. It's not immediate but might not take too long if you were already somewhat fit. Challenging yourself with new and more intense activities will help keep the burn high.
  • RaineMarie
    RaineMarie Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4 and I've never experienced it going to 0 - but my old FT7 used to do it a lot because the strap wasnt tight off. I know make sure its super snug, which means adjusting it before every workout. I definitely get variable readings doing the same workout. Your body becomes more efficient over time. Also, I tend to burn less if I work out first thing in the morning; my heart rate doesnt get as high as it does when I have evening workouts. Not sure why, but thats pretty consistent for me over the past few years. Thats why we have HRMs - to pick up the changes in our workouts from day to day :) I wouldnt be too concerned about it really. And I doubt it is anything wrong with your HRM.
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    My FT7 has been going to 0 as well, along with a message that says "Check Heartrate Transmitter". After I cleaned it and tightened it, it happened once more, but after that it seemed to be ok.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't be getting 0's but as you get fitter your burn will be less. Also the strap needs to be tight so it stays in contact with your skin at all times. Some people find if they move the transmitter a bit over to the left of center it will pick up better. Underwire in a bra can also cause confusion with the transmitter.
  • Blueberry09
    Blueberry09 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I've had similar issues with my Polar F11. When doing workout videos it doesn't seem to record an accurate HR when doing ab work on the mat. I've watched it go from 140 bpm to less than 100 in 2 crunches. I wish I was that fit :laugh:

I've tried tightening the strap but maybe I will go just a bit tighter. I have also washed the strap recently and it still happens.