Worst Frozen Diet Meal/Premade Diet Meal?

Options
I've recently started to get back on track. In an effort to do this I've been bringing either Lean Cuisine's/Healthy Choice/Michalina's frozen meals to work each day. ..... (Please don’t lecture me they aren’t healthy because it's better than my previous lunches and it's a small step in the right direction)... Today I came across one that was well just gross... It was a Healthy Choice Lunch Express... I was leery to begin with because it was a 'shelf stable' meal... It smelled really great! The taste and texture were soooo off! It was like supposed to be like sweet and sour chicken… it was more like ketchup and sugar soup…. So to help make sure this never happens again tell me what you have found were the worst tasting or worst textured frozen meals!?!?!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    IMHO, all of them...I truly do not understand how people eat that stuff...but then again, I've always been a foodie. I've had to choke some frozen meals down from time to time, but I honestly don't know how people do it on a regular basis.
  • zbmb30
    zbmb30 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I've never been a big fan of the Healthy Choice meals. I think Lean Cuisine is tastier. The Smart Ones are not too bad either. I use to eat Healthy Choice in college and just thought it tasted off. I love steam veggies, but their veggies were just nasty tasting.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    those steamers from healthy choice. they sound soo good...taste SO BAD!
  • mychellelynne
    mychellelynne Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid all of them but sometimes it is just not possible. I do not like Healthy Choice, never have. I do like Smart Ones but only certain ones. I tend to lean towards ones with no meat. I think the chicken is always nasty so I usually eat Sante Rice and beans, pasta dishes or the potatoes w/broccoli ones.
  • chubbychristianchick
    chubbychristianchick Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I think the chicken is always nasty so I usually eat Sante Rice and beans, pasta dishes or the potatoes w/broccoli ones.

I agree I tend to lean towards the pasta ones... but I sooo love the Potatoes with Broccoli and cheese!
  • SandyHKSunshine
    Options
    Why not put some turkey or chicken (or your choice of sandwich meat), tomato, spinach, etc..in a ziploc bag b4 bed...grab a couple pieces of wheat or multigrain bread in another ziploc b4 you leave for work (so the bread doesnt get soggy in the fridge over night), then slap them together at lunch time and have a meal you'll enjoy? Over the course of a week you'll save a bunch of $$$, you'll save calories, you'll get more nutrition, and you'll enjoy your lunch! Throw a few baby carrots in the bag as well & crunch on those like chips with your sandwich.
    Im assuming you have refrigeration at work since you're bringing frozen box lunches with you.....
    Just a suggestion. I hope you find a good lunch that works for you!!!
  • Bookaholic88
    Bookaholic88 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Anything with fish will be terrible. I remember having a frozen dinner that was supposed to be salmon and rice, it was more like saw dust and glue. SOOO unappealing.

On the other hand i had one of those steamers that was pretty good (for a frozen dinner anyways), sesame chicken I believe.
  • chubbychristianchick
    chubbychristianchick Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Why not put some turkey or chicken (or your choice of sandwich meat), tomato, spinach, etc..in a ziploc bag b4 bed...grab a couple pieces of wheat or multigrain bread in another ziploc b4 you leave for work (so the bread doesnt get soggy in the fridge over night), then slap them together at lunch time and have a meal you'll enjoy? Over the course of a week you'll save a bunch of $$$, you'll save calories, you'll get more nutrition, and you'll enjoy your lunch! Throw a few baby carrots in the bag as well & crunch on those like chips with your sandwich.
    Im assuming you have refrigeration at work since you're bringing frozen box lunches with you.....
    Just a suggestion. I hope you find a good lunch that works for you!!!
    I used to do this honestly it's cheaper and much easier to just buy frozen meals... :yawn:
  • Woomytron
    Woomytron Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    IMHO, all of them...I truly do not understand how people eat that stuff...but then again, I've always been a foodie. I've had to choke some frozen meals down from time to time, but I honestly don't know how people do it on a regular basis.

I completely agree with you. There are very few that I can even stand. I rather just cook the night before and reheat it the next day. Good luck in your hunt though.
  • azure7
    azure7 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I don't have an answer to your original question, but you might consider giving the Kashi frozen meals a try. I'm a food package reader and I noticed you can actually read all the ingredients in the list without struggling.
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    I've recently started to get back on track. In an effort to do this I've been bringing either Lean Cuisine's/Healthy Choice/Michalina's frozen meals to work each day. ..... (Please don’t lecture me they aren’t healthy because it's better than my previous lunches and it's a small step in the right direction)... Today I came across one that was well just gross... It was a Healthy Choice Lunch Express... I was leery to begin with because it was a 'shelf stable' meal... It smelled really great! The taste and texture were soooo off! It was like supposed to be like sweet and sour chicken… it was more like ketchup and sugar soup…. So to help make sure this never happens again tell me what you have found were the worst tasting or worst textured frozen meals!?!?!

That same exact one. Never bought and never will buy a healthy choice meal again.
  • Angelsrose12
    Angelsrose12 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I know you asked about "bad" ones, but I kind of like the Kashi steam bags. And on the plus side, I can pronounce the all of ingredients :) In general, I know that frozen meals aren't the best for you, but if like you said, they are a step in the right direction for you and help you stay on track, I think looking at the ingredients before you purchase will help you in the long run.
  • shalma
    shalma Posts: 80
    Options
    Kashi meals are good. They taste and look like the protein that it has in it.

The santa fe beans and rice (i think smart ones) tastes really good and is huge in fiber.
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    And for the record, Amy's meals are da bomb. I live off those things. (Plus, they're vegetarian... so no worry about funky meat textures.) I like stouffer's for meals with chicken -- they come out right.
  • afrazier128
    afrazier128 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I don't eat them very often. Healthy Choice is OUT. Nasty, nasty, nasty. I prefer Lean Cuisine Market Collection if I'm going to eat pre-packaged. Mostly I make a salad or bring some leftovers from home.
  • rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I hate any Healthy Choice stuff, frozen, soups, shelf meals, blech!! I too like to have frozen meals every once in a while for work because it's just so easy to grab in the morning. Smart Ones varieties (I love the Santa Fe rice and beans, Lasagna Florentine, Chicken enchilada suiza, 3 cheese ziti) and I absolutely love the Lean Cuisine paninis and pizzas (their meals are a bit skimpy and icky though, except the Lean Cuisine steam meals, they're pretty good). Lean pockets are also gross. Michelina's lean is nasty. I do like the Campbells Chunky Healthy Request soups. I know all of these things are high in sodium but I don't worry about it too much as long as I stay within my daily limit, plus I have no BP or heart issues and drink TONS of water all day long. I try to stay away from anything frozen for breakfast and or dinner though.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    you could make your own frozen meals. once a week cook up some things that you can put into single serve containers to last you the week and stick them in the freezer. then you have the convenience of frozen meals, with much better taste and nutrition.

yes frozen, premade is easier but... aren't you worth more than that? don't you deserve to eat something yummy, even when you are watching your weight?
  • traceyleighgirl
    traceyleighgirl Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I eat a ton of frozen meals, especially Michelina's. I actually like pretty much all of them! I know alot of people are so snobby about frozen meals, but I've eaten them fairly consistently throughout my journey and I've lost almost 35 pounds..And I feel great. :)
    I'll have to avoid the ones mentioned though!
  • stunningalmond
    stunningalmond Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I like the Smart Ones too. There's the Santa Fe Rice and Beans that is amazing and there's a pot roast one that isn't bad. I try to look for ones that have more natural ingredients and low preservatives. :)
  • traceyleighgirl
    traceyleighgirl Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I didn't know Kashi made frozen meals...Cool! I love their bars :)