Favorite moves for legs/booty that isn't a squat or lunge?

Options
I cannot do squats or lunges at the moment due to bad knees (and until I get clearance). I know these are great exercises for the thighs and butt. Currently I am doing Romanian Dead Lifts (regular and one legged).

Do you have any suggestions for me?

Replies

• _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    Run stairs.
  • fayeonherway
    Options
    Run stairs.

Running is a no no. But thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Glute Ham Raises
  • mgoetsch1982
    mgoetsch1982 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I like glute bridges and hip thrusts. You can do one-legged and/or off of a bench to up the intensity. I have had hip joint issues and have had to take lay offs from squats and deadlifts in the past and glute bridges and hip thrusts help. :smile:

Editing to add link http://www.myomytv.com/the-glute-journey-glute-bridge-to-hip-thrust/
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    Run stairs.

Look at her bootie and you will find a way to run them. Very nice. She runs those stairs in her profile pic several times a week.
  • nurse_beck
    nurse_beck Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    There is a great routine that I like for the butt/ham strings on Slim in 6 from Beachbody. I don't know the specific exercises, but those are killer. You do have to kneel and don't know if that is something you could tolerate.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I like glute bridges and hip thrusts. You can do one-legged and/or off of a bench to up the intensity. I have had hip joint issues and have had to take lay offs from squats and deadlifts in the past and glute bridges and hip thrusts help. :smile:

this would be my advice as well.
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Is the booty clap a move?
  • mallen404
    mallen404 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    do a chest press but on a ball- so your sholders are on the ball, that way your legs have to work to keep your body up. it gets hard!
  • amykluver
    amykluver Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Do laying down exercises.

1 - lay on back and do bridges (lifting hips up to ceiling) = works butt. Straighten one leg to make harder & add abs. Stand on remaining foot's tippy-toes to add calves. Alternate.

2 - Lay on side/hip and lift top leg = works outer thigh/abductors (old fashion but does trick).

3 - Lay on side/hip and lift bottom leg up = works inside of thigh/adductor.

4 - STRETCHES & Yoga moves (google some).
  • fayeonherway
    Options
    Run stairs.

Look at her bootie and you will find a way to run them. Very nice. She runs those stairs in her profile pic several times a week.

Unless I want to lose all mobility or use something to assist with walking, I cannot run. My knees are jacked. I am hoping they will won't require surgery.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts, and hills. If you can't run, walk as fast as you can uphill. I do walking lunges uphill.
  • fayeonherway
    Options
    There is a great routine that I like for the butt/ham strings on Slim in 6 from Beachbody. I don't know the specific exercises, but those are killer. You do have to kneel and don't know if that is something you could tolerate.

I can kneel with no issue. I'll look into it!
  • fab50G
    fab50G Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Love deadlifts! If you can't run stairs, can you walk hills? The "rolling hills' setting on the treadmill at my gym makes my booty sore for days!!!
  • mikepasztor
    Options
    Kneeling Leg Extensions
    Deadlifts
    Glutehams
  • fayeonherway
    Options
    Is the booty clap a move?

Trying to get my booty to the point where it can clap. :laugh:
  • eliseofthejungle
    eliseofthejungle Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    A local Pilates lady posted this video as part of a challenge and it works your butt. I wouldn't do only this, but it's a nice little burn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-MfDFDADQc
  • nikkijean8
    nikkijean8 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Leg lifts are great for your butt and I think you could still do them with bad knees. Lay on your belly, get up on your elbows so that they are squarely under you - then up on your knees, but make sure you keep your back straight at all times. Extend one leg straight out behind you, and lift up and down, slowly, without putting the leg down for however many reps you can do (I guess - see my disclaimer below). Repeat with the other leg, then do them with a bent leg - like you're pushing your heel into the sky. When I do these, it's a whole series of exercises in a workout video, so I'm not really qualified to tell you how many to do. Hopefully, my description makes some sense or somebody else can improve on my description. Hope this helps.

What I'm describing I got from the Slim in 6 videos that somebody else mentioned
  • fayeonherway
    Options
    Deadlifts, and hills. If you can't run, walk as fast as you can uphill. I do walking lunges uphill.

The movement the position that the lunges place my knees is the problem at the moment. :(

I do hilly hikes weekly, but I never thought that would help the booty! :flowerforyou: