Life Altering Experience

Hi, my name is Amanda,

I have struggled with my weight for most of my adult years and recognize a pattern in myself. I can stay on track for around 6 weeks then fall off and return to my unhealthy food choices.

I am 47 years old and was recently diagnosed with a genetic disease that causes mini-strokes and will lead to the early onset of dementia. It is so surreal right now and I have to go through the grieving process and accept this as the hand I have been dealt. I know I will get there one day, which I hope is soon.

One thing that I noticed is that I have to take care of me, put me first for once in my life. I want to be proactive and preventative if that is possible. A recent study suggest moving to a more plant based diet, but I am struggling with incorporate more beans, legumes and making the better part of my meals to consist of whole grains,fruits and vegetables, especially having a husband that is a meat and potatoes kind of guy.

I am looking for support to help me get past my hurdles with lifestyle changes. I would be happy to receive some vegetarian recipes that are tastey and healthy.

I really want to make the changes to incorporate a healthy lifestyle and a positive attitude. Who knows, maybe I will be one of the 15% that will not experience the worst of this disease.

Amanda

Replies

• MRSHHJONES
    MRSHHJONES Posts: 41 Member
    Hi Amanda, you are certainly in my thoughts and prayers after reading your post. Congratulations on this step to make more healthy lifestyle choices. I'm not a strict vegetarian. I was lacto/ovo for most of my adult life and then added fish for it's healthy nutrition. I have recently started eating some chicken. Have a family that is mixed as far as food preferences. That's why I recently added the chicken/turkey. If I could help you with some healthy veg. recipes. I'm willing. Welcome to MFP... I think you will find so many caring and helpful people along the way. Again, if I can be of support or assistance, please let me know!