Adipex - Experiences?

Options
Hi All,

I wanted to see if anyone else is taking Adipex and what there thoughts were? I was recently given a perscription. I only take 15mg's a day (I cut my pill in half). I recently had a baby - was working out and eating a clean diet without any results. I went to a dietician and she gave me a small amount to help boost my weight loss.

I work out 3 - 4 times a week, and eating the proper food/calories and am getting results now.

I have 2 weeks of pills left, and then will stop them. I will however continue my excercise regime, along with healthy eating. Should I be concerned the weight will come back?

I would love to hear some motivating stories!

Replies

• cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    The weight shouldn't come back as long as you keep eating properly and exercising. Adipex/phentermine are used to sort of "jump-start" your weight loss, as it works as an appetite suppressant. Once you stop taking it, your body should be used to eating fewer calories, so it sort of eases you into eating 1500 or 1800 or whatever it is you're set at.

The people who gain weight back are the ones who went back to eating like crap (or never stopped eating poorly while on the pill). Some people think the pill will do all the work for them and don't make a change to their diet or exercise. It's a lot like surgery in that aspect. Some people have WLS and don't lose (or gain, even) because they don't keep eating properly.

Adipex can cause an increased heart rate and blood pressure, so keep an eye on that. Your doctor should check in with you after a few weeks if you're on it for longer than two weeks. Most doctors have you take it for a few weeks, stop for a few weeks, and then take it again. Your body can adjust to it pretty quickly, so it doesn't always work after the first 6-8 weeks. Staggering the doses seems to prevent that. Since you're only taking half a dose, you shouldn't have some of the common side effects, like dry mouth, insomnia, or that bouncy-twitchy feeling (like drinking four cups of coffee).

I was on phentermine (Adipex is the brand name version) for the first four weeks of my weight loss. My doctor prescribed it to help get things under control while waiting for my blood work. I was still gaining weight on a 2000 calorie diet. Once he discovered I have insulin resistance, I stopped the phentermine and started taking metformin for the insulin resistance. (IR can cause weight gain even on a reduced-calorie diet and often causes slower weight loss, even with medicine, exercise, and eating properly.)

I lost 17 pounds while on the phentermine, and I've lost another 41 since I stopped taking it. You can PM me with any questions.
  • Ireland31
    Options
    Thank you so much! I have really been worried about it!!!!!!!!!!
  • andrbeck
    andrbeck Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    The weight shouldn't come back as long as you keep eating properly and exercising. Adipex/phentermine are used to sort of "jump-start" your weight loss, as it works as an appetite suppressant. Once you stop taking it, your body should be used to eating fewer calories, so it sort of eases you into eating 1500 or 1800 or whatever it is you're set at.

The people who gain weight back are the ones who went back to eating like crap (or never stopped eating poorly while on the pill). Some people think the pill will do all the work for them and don't make a change to their diet or exercise. It's a lot like surgery in that aspect. Some people have WLS and don't lose (or gain, even) because they don't keep eating properly.

Adipex can cause an increased heart rate and blood pressure, so keep an eye on that. Your doctor should check in with you after a few weeks if you're on it for longer than two weeks. Most doctors have you take it for a few weeks, stop for a few weeks, and then take it again. Your body can adjust to it pretty quickly, so it doesn't always work after the first 6-8 weeks. Staggering the doses seems to prevent that. Since you're only taking half a dose, you shouldn't have some of the common side effects, like dry mouth, insomnia, or that bouncy-twitchy feeling (like drinking four cups of coffee).

I was on phentermine (Adipex is the brand name version) for the first four weeks of my weight loss. My doctor prescribed it to help get things under control while waiting for my blood work. I was still gaining weight on a 2000 calorie diet. Once he discovered I have insulin resistance, I stopped the phentermine and started taking metformin for the insulin resistance. (IR can cause weight gain even on a reduced-calorie diet and often causes slower weight loss, even with medicine, exercise, and eating properly.)

I lost 17 pounds while on the phentermine, and I've lost another 41 since I stopped taking it. You can PM me with any questions.

Did you ever overlap the adipex and metformin?
  • prtystar
    prtystar Posts: 2
    Options
    I've been taking adipex since September. I started out weighing 346 and I'm down to 311. My first month I lost 11 pounds. I was working out at least 5 times a week; treadmill, classes, elliptical, etc. my job has been a little more demanding so I haven't been able to do as much. Last month I lost only 3 pounds. Kinda bummed but I know it's because of not exercising as much. I even took a break during November. You would think I would have gained weight around thanksgiving. I didn't and lost 5 pounds. It controls my appetite tremendously & I recommend it. I also take a whole pill. Never took half.
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Did you ever overlap the adipex and metformin?

For about two weeks or so as I weaned off of the phentermine. I didn't notice any differences as far as side-effects were concerned.