HRM, iPod arm band, Wii accessories, etc.

Options
If all goes well on Wednesday, I will actually have some money for the first time since December. Before I give it all to my boyfriend, I plan on splurging on stuff to make my workouts more pleasant.

I will be getting running shoes professionally fit, clothes, an HRM, an arm band for my iPod (unless I find something better), and some more accessories for my Wii. Oh, and contacts. I am sick of my glasses fogging up.

I'm looking for suggestions as to what I should look at and what I should avoid.

I don't have a/c in my living room so it's really hot and muggy. That, combined with the exercising has sweat literally pouring off me. This is very uncomfortable.

Clothing: I know there are types of clothing which help make it less uncomfortable but I don't know which ones are best. I currently work out in a sports bra and a pair of boxer shorts that I've had for 12 years and which don't fit. The crotch hangs too low and the waist band is itchy. Anything is going to be an improvement. Is there anything that will minimize heat rash? I am very susceptible to heat rash, even when it's not hot. My temperature rises slightly and I get heat rash.

Sports Bras: At the moment, I have 1 sports bra which is very hard to get off when it's wet. Other than that annoyance, it's actually really good at supporting my massive boobs. Are there any really good sports bras that don't have to go over the head but are also good for supporting F cup boobs?

HRM: I need an HRM that is accurate even with heavy sweating. I'm assuming a chest strap will be more accurate than just a watch so I plan on getting one with a chest strap.

Wii accessories/games: I currently have Wii Fit Plus and Sports Resort. I don't find much benefit from most of the Sports Resort though so it's more just for fun. I already have a riser for the balance board. Other than that, I have nothing to make the Fit Plus more intense. Are the controller weights any good? Any other accessories you've found that make things more intense? What other games can I get that will take over when the Fit Plus isn't good enough any more?

iPod arm strap: I need a comfortable but well fitted arm strap for my iPod touch, unless there's a better way of holding the stupid thing. I have really sensitive skin though and all MP3 player arm straps I have found so far are annoyingly itchy. Any ideas?

If you have any other things you just can't live without while exercising, please let me know. I do the Wii Fit Plus, and I'll be starting the C25K when I have good running shoes.

Replies

• tcac
    tcac Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I just got a FP7. I love it. I also sweat a lot and it works fine.
  • terraskye
    terraskye Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    If all goes well on Wednesday, I will actually have some money for the first time since December. Before I give it all to my boyfriend, I plan on splurging on stuff to make my workouts more pleasant.

I will be getting running shoes professionally fit, clothes, an HRM, an arm band for my iPod (unless I find something better), and some more accessories for my Wii. Oh, and contacts. I am sick of my glasses fogging up.

I'm looking for suggestions as to what I should look at and what I should avoid.

I don't have a/c in my living room so it's really hot and muggy. That, combined with the exercising has sweat literally pouring off me. This is very uncomfortable.

Clothing: I know there are types of clothing which help make it less uncomfortable but I don't know which ones are best. I currently work out in a sports bra and a pair of boxer shorts that I've had for 12 years and which don't fit. The crotch hangs too low and the waist band is itchy. Anything is going to be an improvement. Is there anything that will minimize heat rash? I am very susceptible to heat rash, even when it's not hot. My temperature rises slightly and I get heat rash.

Sports Bras: At the moment, I have 1 sports bra which is very hard to get off when it's wet. Other than that annoyance, it's actually really good at supporting my massive boobs. Are there any really good sports bras that don't have to go over the head but are also good for supporting F cup boobs?

HRM: I need an HRM that is accurate even with heavy sweating. I'm assuming a chest strap will be more accurate than just a watch so I plan on getting one with a chest strap.

Wii accessories/games: I currently have Wii Fit Plus and Sports Resort. I don't find much benefit from most of the Sports Resort though so it's more just for fun. I already have a riser for the balance board. Other than that, I have nothing to make the Fit Plus more intense. Are the controller weights any good? Any other accessories you've found that make things more intense? What other games can I get that will take over when the Fit Plus isn't good enough any more?

iPod arm strap: I need a comfortable but well fitted arm strap for my iPod touch, unless there's a better way of holding the stupid thing. I have really sensitive skin though and all MP3 player arm straps I have found so far are annoyingly itchy. Any ideas?

If you have any other things you just can't live without while exercising, please let me know. I do the Wii Fit Plus, and I'll be starting the C25K when I have good running shoes.

For the ipod, look at maybe ordering the armpocket @ armpocket.com i'm ordering one at the end of the week as for some reason all my workout clothes are lacking in pockets. My employer has one and she really likes it.

For the HRM I like the Polar F6 that i got last month based on recommends from the MFP community. It has a chest strap that comes with it.

Fiona:)
  • Dreaj79
    Dreaj79 Posts: 212
    Options
    I love my Polar F6 HRM! It has the chest strap and really helps me to push myself when I'm working out. As for the arm band, I have a black sport one that I bought from Best Buy. It does wrap around my arm but I usually put it over the sleeve of my T-shirt so I haven't noticed any issues with skin contact. Good luck with your purchases!
  • spike1380
    spike1380 Posts: 82
    Options
    Everyone seems to talk about the FP6 and FP7 so those are definitely on my lists to check out.

The Armpocket looks perfect. Hell, it looks perfect for every day use since I have this intense dislike for carrying a purse, which has lead to my license being washed and dried so many times that it's permanently folded in half. All I ever carry is an iPod, phone, keys, and license. The Aero 10 looks like it would fit my needs. Thanks for that suggestion!
  • lilsprstr
    lilsprstr Posts: 4
    Options
    FWIW, I found a arm band for my iPod on eBay for under $2, including shipping! I have a Mio Motiva Heart Rate Monitor that I've been really happy with, but it is a watch and does not have a chest strap. As far as the Wii, I haven't had much success with the Wii Fit, so I don't have any advise on accessories there. Good luck!
  • Amber030583
    Amber030583 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I love the Sports Bras at Target (they are on sale this week too!) They are by Champion and are moisture wicking which will help with the wet bra problem. If you aren't getting pushed with the wii i suggest getting the "My personal fitness coach" for the wii. It is on 19 and it works great. It changes up the routine which is nice. If you look for a work out dvd I recommend the 30 day shred by jillian michaels.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar Ft7 Heart Rate monitor, its the updated model is the F6/F7 previously mentioned, it works well under heavy sweat and you can use it in the water, it does have th chest strap, I know my wife paid around $90 for it
  • TaraArriola
    Options
    For the Wii: There is a game called Just Dance that is a great workout. Also, the biggest loser game gives me a good workout.
  • sissytx
    sissytx Posts: 50
    Options
    Target does have sports bras but I was unable to find one in my size. I found one at Jc Penny's.com for us "blessed" ladies. i also bought an armband for my ipod touch today at walmart. I have very sensitve skin also and it did not bother me.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options

Ensure your running shoes are not too high at the back. If it continuously rubs on the back of your leg, low down, you could end up with achilles trouble and you definitely don't want that.

Good luck with your shopping! You deserve all those things, go get 'em :happy:
  • jbwegner
    jbwegner Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    The Wii Just Dance game is awesome! So much fun, and I don't feel like I am working out! As for the sports bras, I love Lane Bryant's. They're not cheap, but they work well! Have fun treating yourself!
  • spike1380
    spike1380 Posts: 82
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

The Wii Fit is giving me a workout. I'm thinking of the future. When I did the boxing today, I was panting and soaked about halfway through. Then I stopped doing lunges every time I stepped off the balance board and I was able to finish the last 5 minutes. When I can use weighted controllers and lunge through the whole 10 minutes, I'll know that it's time for me to move on from Wii Fit for cardio.

I'm going to try Shredding when I'm more in shape. I can't handle Jillian right now.

I had heard about Just Dance. Do you need to be coordinated for it? I have 2 left feet (sometimes in Rhythm Boxing, I try to step off the balance board with both feet at the same time).

My goal with videos/Wii is to use the Fit Plus and maybe 1 other til it doesn't do it for me any more then move on to Shred and then P90X. I know there's no way my upper body can handle Shred or P90X right now so I'm using the Wii to get ready for it. I also don't have good endurance which is where the C25K is going to come in.

Keep the suggestions coming! I'm gonna have a big shopping list! All I need to do now is get the money!
  • turtlepurl
    Options
    For the WII I use The Biggest loser game. It has many more levels than the wii fit and is a real challenge as well as a great motivator! The workouts are really good speaking from the viewpoint of someone who has done alot of training and research on the matter...
  • sandra80
    sandra80 Posts: 308 Member
    Options

I had heard about Just Dance. Do you need to be coordinated for it? I have 2 left feet (sometimes in Rhythm Boxing, I try to step off the balance board with both feet at the same time).
    just dance doesn't require the board so no matter how uncoordinated you are it'll be ok. you'll get a lower score for the dances but you'll still have lots of fun. basically they have a person on screen and you have to mimic their movements. under the person they have a sort of ticker showing the moves that are coming up. it's really fun. me and my kids have a great time playing it. me and my friends have fun with it too and it's even more fun with a couple drinks in you. :wink:
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,383 Member
    Options
    I have the FT7 HRM. I was looking at the F6, but the thing that turned me off to it was the fact that in order to replace the battery in the watch, you had to send the unit back to Polar. Now you might have to send it back to them so that the waterproof-ness of the watch is ensured, but it might also have been that the watch needed to be reset. That was the deal breaker for me.

With the FT7 both the battery in the transmitter and in the watch are user replaceable. Down side? They both use a different size battery. But, really, that's not such a big deal.

Another thing I've found with my FT7 is that there is no way to turn it off. Even when you take the transmitter off your chest, the time of day is still displayed. Not sure how this affects battery life, I will see.

On the whole, I have to say that I'm please with my FT7. For the money, it does what I need to have it do. There are one or two other functions that I would like to have, but that would have meant going to a more expensive unit, and I decided that wasn't worth it.

Good luck