What the heck is with the eggs??

Options
Ok, so usually, my husband makes me poached eggs for breakfast on the weekends. Today, I wanted to do an omelet instead. So I figured adding the eggs to my diary as "scrambled" was closer than anything else.

The non-community added "Eggs- poached, whole egg, 1 large" has 74 calories, 0 carbs, 5 fat, 6 protein, 2 sat fat, 0 sugar. The scrambled egg, also non-community added "Eggs- scrambled, whole egg, 1 large" has 101 calories, 1 carb, 7 fat, 7 protein, 2 sat fat, 1 sugar. The fried egg, "Eggs- fried, whole egg, 1 large" has 92 calories, 0 carb, 7 fat, 6 protein, 2 sat fat, 0 sugar. And in looking, they actually have "Eggs- omelet, whole egg, 1 large" and it has exactly the same as the fried egg but one more calorie... 93.

Someone please tell me how this is possible?! An egg is an egg, isn't it?! How can scrambling an egg make it have more fat and more protein and more sugar?? Or frying it? Obviously it can't assume that you'd use oil or butter to cook the egg, because everybody uses something different and in different amounts, so I'd think it would say so if that's what it were assuming; if it doesn't that's just stupid.

Seriously, help. I'm so confused right now.

Replies

• Allibaba
    Allibaba Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I use http://www.nutritiondata.com to double check nutrition info, sometimes it is all over the place on here.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Usually a "scrambled" egg, has something else in it--some milk, usually. "Omelette" implies cheese, so therein might explain the variation. A large egg has about 70 calories, 5 grams of protein and about 4 grams of fat (assuming you are consuming the entire egg, not just the white). I would pick the entry that agrees most closely with the ingredients you used. I don't usually look for a description of HOW my egg was prepared, but rather use one that I know has correct info for the egg nutrition, and then if I have used milk, or cheese, or whatever, I make separate entries for those items.

Good luck.
  • erikazj
    erikazj Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    Don't know why the differences - perhaps in the scrambled eggs it is taking in to account adding some milk or something. The way round it is to use the calories for a raw egg and then add anything else you use to cook it in, oil or whatever.

Erika
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    maybe some people factor in some milk and maybe some butter in the pan to make the eggs.

If the egg is 74, then I would log 74 cals if you scramble it
  • Punktorian
    Punktorian Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Best way to do it is just add everything separately and if you can, get the nutrition info straight from the box you are pulling the eggs from.
  • janet67
    janet67 Posts: 38
    Options
    I've found other descripencies. I think is is caused by people posting foods and nutritional value and either making a "typo" on the numbers or just not having the right information. I usually double check on other sites or in my books to verify.
    (I never use milk in my scrambled eggs. It makes them "tough.")
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I checked out 4 different brands of medium eggs at the grocery store and found it varied from 65-90 calories. I am not sure if better fed chickens produce a denser yolk......or if some are just bigger than others.

So I get the same eggs each time I shop, and have inputted the info to my specs.

If I have an omelet I input each egg, and the fat I used to cook it.

Hope this helps!
  • IrishChik
    IrishChik Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    These are all possible answers for the omelet and scrambled, perhaps the person who entered them added something else. A bit of cheese or some milk.

One thing I did learn many years ago, poached, boiled, scrambled with nothing in it, etc. are all approx 70 calories (according to the nutritional data on large egg cartons) and 1 Point according to WW.

However, a fried large egg (that same egg above) becomes 2 Points and the calories raised. There is some scientific explanation as to why. I don't remember it, but it causes the calorie content to rise. I asked my fiancé about it because he loves science and had to take a ton of classes for his degree.

Some of the calorie counts on some places are higher because people use butter or oils to cook in rather than cooking spray.

I could not find anything online about it, maybe I am not looking in the right place.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/81986-calorie-count-fried-eggs/
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Ok, so usually, my husband makes me poached eggs for breakfast on the weekends. Today, I wanted to do an omelet instead. So I figured adding the eggs to my diary as "scrambled" was closer than anything else.

The non-community added "Eggs- poached, whole egg, 1 large" has 74 calories, 0 carbs, 5 fat, 6 protein, 2 sat fat, 0 sugar. The scrambled egg, also non-community added "Eggs- scrambled, whole egg, 1 large" has 101 calories, 1 carb, 7 fat, 7 protein, 2 sat fat, 1 sugar. The fried egg, "Eggs- fried, whole egg, 1 large" has 92 calories, 0 carb, 7 fat, 6 protein, 2 sat fat, 0 sugar. And in looking, they actually have "Eggs- omelet, whole egg, 1 large" and it has exactly the same as the fried egg but one more calorie... 93.

Someone please tell me how this is possible?! An egg is an egg, isn't it?! How can scrambling an egg make it have more fat and more protein and more sugar?? Or frying it? Obviously it can't assume that you'd use oil or butter to cook the egg, because everybody uses something different and in different amounts, so I'd think it would say so if that's what it were assuming; if it doesn't that's just stupid.

The poached eggs will be cooked in just water, whereas the fried eggs will be in grease, the omelettes and scrambles- well I guess the counter is taking it for granted that they will have things like milk and butter added and cooked in grease (well the omelette anyway). I do believe it is taking it for granted what you will cook them in also those things will have been added by previous members, so it all denpends how they cooked them, as to how they entered them in the database.

I have omelettes a lot and all I do is use the one-calorie spray for the pan, crack two eggs into a jug, add half a tin of sliced mushrooms and add absolutely nothing else whatsoever. It comes to a grand total of 163 calories (that includes the three sprays of the one-calorie per spray for the pan) and fills me up for about four, sometimes five hours.

You are 100% correct, an egg is an egg - 70 to 80 calories :wink:
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options

Someone in the community made their own scrambled eggs with stuff in it and saved it for community use rather than their own personal use. Just use plain eggs instead and use the values for that instead. You can pan fry an egg using no calorie spray and make omletts using veggies and no cheese or milk....
  • sandara
    sandara Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    I always use the Generic raw egg selection. Then if you add anything while cooking you can just add that separately. :smile:
  • simona1972
    simona1972 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I usually enter ingredients separately and finding LARGE EGG seems to be a challenge each day. I noticed a change to this a while back, not sure if a clean up was done, but a lot of the egg options either disappeared or changed.
  • Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I understand that to fry or scramble an egg requires some sort of oil to cook it in whereas poached eggs just use water, and that most people add milk to scrambled eggs, but I don't see why the site would find it necessary to account for those things. Some people will cook the egg in olive oil, some butter, some margarine, some spray, some other oil... you get the point. And the amount that everyone uses will vary. Seeing as there is no standard, it could be incredibly misleading to do it this way. Someone might think, oh, it accounts for it already, and scramble their eggs in a tablespoon of butter, when obviously it is not accounting for that much! Same thing with milk. All different percentages, and people use more or less.

I found the brand of egg that we have and added it raw plus all the other stuff I added to it.

Just to reiterate, what I was talking about were NOT the ones that somebody added, they were the standard ones that the site had entered, without the * next to it.

Thanks for all the responses. I am intrigued by the fried egg being more calories... I'll have to look into that! Strange.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    If I were calculating I'd take it as an egg by itself, the calories will be on the egg carton for the exact eggs you have, then I would add in my own stuff for how I cooked it (oil, cheese, salt etc) and that would be the most accurate.
  • IrishChik
    IrishChik Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I think the best option would be to read the nutrition label on the package of eggs you are eating. I ended up doing that, and searching for the egg that was an exact match. I use this egg for every way that I cook an egg. If I use cooking spray I add that separately as well as any other ingredients I use. Then I save it as a meal. It just gives me a better piece of mind.