Mid-Life Weight-loss Crisis! Could use support

Options
Hello there everybody! I'm new to this site (not new to losing weight), and am looking for some friends to join in my journey. I'm a 45 year old mom from Wisconsin. I am amazed at how difficult it is to lose weight at this age! It's crazy.

If you want to team up for encouragement and to share tips, I'd love you have you along.

Replies

• kimpossible5
    Options
    I hear ya! I am 40 and in Texas. I don't have a lot to lose but it sure doesn't want to lose me!! It's so frustrating and easy to get discouraged.
  • MariaAkeroyd
    MariaAkeroyd Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Send me a request. 48 y.o. and I am down 14 pounds.
    Cheers,
  • grandmastime
    grandmastime Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I am a 46 year old grandma in Michigan. I found it hard to lose weight after 40 also. I found something that works great for me so far. If you are willing to try it. I will tell you about it. I will befriend you. I can use all the support I can get.
  • danglarity
    danglarity Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean about the age. I am 41 and trying to lose any weight I need to before menopause creeps up on me. After that it will be hopeless for me. You can add me as a friend for support if you'd like. I log in everyday and I'm serious about this weight loss business!
  • herzbergallison
    Options
    I am 48yrs old. had a hysterectomy and take weight bearing medications. they are prescribed for me because I am schizophrenic
    I have just started out to lose 65 lbs. my weight is a problem because of my back and heart. I feel discouraged because of the medication and because of my age. I have just started walking the mall and tap into healthy eating. my doctor told me no pastas or breads.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    54 years old from Chicago! It's very hard the older you get but it's possible!!! Keep at it! Feel free to add me as a friend!
  • Skernan1644
    Options
    46 in Missouri .... feel free to add me as a friend. :)

I started with MFP in January, and have managed to lose a little over 28 lbs, with a bit over 6 lbs left toward my goal. I love the site! And I intend to continue to log in daily once I hit my goal and start working to MAINTAIN!!!

I haven't yet requested a bunch of friends .... just a few folks who I actually know at this point. I think I'm ready to branch out to "the rest of the MFP world" though, and would be happy to support and encourage you if you would like to send me a friend request.

My profile doesn't have a lot of info but I'm a single mom getting ready to send her one & only child off to college this fall. Scary stuff - but hey, he's gotta grow up & become a responsible member of society sometime, right? :)
  • marysowter
    marysowter Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    HI 57 from England first week and it is my first weigh-in to morrow, so fingers crossed.feel free to add me as a friend if you so wish and good luck x
  • PamGeirng
    PamGeirng Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Add me! I am 45 as well and am on this journey as well.
  • CoraLeeRMer
    CoraLeeRMer Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yes, I hit 40 and my metabolism seemed to drop. I'm 44 now and have been struggling to shed this layer of fat. I do have hypothyroidism, and it was well controlled and stable until last year, so my body is definitely changing.

I really noticed the change when I was working as a fitness instructor a year ago, teaching 6 classes a week on top of my own workouts and still struggling!

I have FINALLY been having some success since making a couple of changes:

1. my thyroid meds were increased to put me at a better level

2. I eliminated gluten from my diet after LOTS of research on MY symptoms (I did not jump on the gluten free bandwagon as a fad). I have found relief from mood swings, fatigue and brain fog since giving it up. I do not eat a lot of other grains and do not consume the processed gluten-free products that have flooded the market lately. I simply sub other food for grains, mainly root veggies and lots of green things. If I want something bread-like I make my own with soaked millet and rice or specialty flours. (I really like chickpea, coconut and almond flours.) The only processed gluten free food I can't seem to kick is those little rice crackers - they work for everything :)

3. I overcame my avoidance of cardio. This was hard - I am definitely a weight girl! I don't go crazy on the cardio, but do include running, incline hikes or skipping intervals into my workouts most days.

4. I started to mix up my weight training methods. I have seen huge changes in the shape of my body since I stopped doing the same old 3 sets of 12 reps. My first routine change was to an 8 x 8 program for 4 weeks. The strength and definition I gained was very encouraging. I am now on a drop set routine that includes some type of leg work every time. Love the weights!

5. I started using FitnessPal. Seriously, I didn't realize how many calories I was consuming. I was eating healthfully, but it was still too much of a good thing. I have been using my cookie dough scoop for measuring out my hummus and nut butters as these were two items that I was really overeating. Two tablespoons of hummus quickly becomes four when I eat from the container haha!

I know you probably know all these things, but I just wanted to let you know you are not alone :)
    Corrie
  • fiferize
    fiferize Posts: 141
    Options
    Hi I never had a good metabolism. But after hitting 45 and having a hysterectomy and then a hernia surgery because of the hysterectomy, what little bit I had completely went into the toilet. I have been trying to lose weight most of my life, but it it's a never ending battle. I am here for you as well. I have already added you, but wanted to reply to your post! Hang in there let's do this together people!
  • mindygood
    mindygood Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    43 and on the journey also... love to support you. Take hard work and determination that is forsure. Feel free to add me.
  • mindygood
    mindygood Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Yes, I hit 40 and my metabolism seemed to drop. I'm 44 now and have been struggling to shed this layer of fat. I do have hypothyroidism, and it was well controlled and stable until last year, so my body is definitely changing.

I really noticed the change when I was working as a fitness instructor a year ago, teaching 6 classes a week on top of my own workouts and still struggling!

2. I eliminated gluten from my diet after LOTS of research on MY symptoms (I did not jump on the gluten free bandwagon as a fad). I have found relief from mood swings, fatigue and brain fog since giving it up. I do not eat a lot of other grains and do not consume the processed gluten-free products that have flooded the market lately. I simply sub other food for grains, mainly root veggies and lots of green things. If I want something bread-like I make my own with soaked millet and rice or specialty flours. (I really like chickpea, coconut and almond flours.) The only processed gluten free food I can't seem to kick is those little rice crackers - they work for everything :)

3. I overcame my avoidance of cardio. This was hard - I am definitely a weight girl! I don't go crazy on the cardio, but do include running, incline hikes or skipping intervals into my workouts most days.

4. I started to mix up my weight training methods. I have seen huge changes in the shape of my body since I stopped doing the same old 3 sets of 12 reps. My first routine change was to an 8 x 8 program for 4 weeks. The strength and definition I gained was very encouraging. I am now on a drop set routine that includes some type of leg work every time. Love the weights!

5. I started using FitnessPal. Seriously, I didn't realize how many calories I was consuming. I was eating healthfully, but it was still too much of a good thing. I have been using my cookie dough scoop for measuring out my hummus and nut butters as these were two items that I was really overeating. Two tablespoons of hummus quickly becomes four when I eat from the container haha!

I know you probably know all these things, but I just wanted to let you know you are not alone :)
    Corrie

Corrie... tell me more about your weights... I need ideas and it seems you might have it down. Need to tone mid section!!!
  • grandmastime
    grandmastime Posts: 57 Member
    Options

Corrie

Corrie... tell me more about your weights... I need ideas and it seems you might have it down. Need to tone mid section!!!

coracougar would you mind telling me more about the 8x8 program you are on. I currently am doing the old 3 reps of sets. I want to know more about the 8x8 to see if its right for me.