Thoughts on Fasted Training?

Options
2»

Replies

• mikepasztor
    Options
    The cool thing with BCAAs are their metabolic routes. They do not have to be metabolized by the liver and tend to be used by the muscles. They do not have calories unlike a protein shake, so it helps when following an intermittent fasting leangains regimen.

So for homey, he probably consumes his largest meal after his workout which ends his fast and then he has 8 hours to consume his calories for the day.

Thats not really true, BCAA's do indeed have calories. Leucine infact has 7 cal/g

I stand corrected. Leucine does have calories, as do all free form aminos.

This made me think though!
    Although it does have calories, is it in a readily useable form as an energy source as free form leucine? Only after

What's your major? and I'm sorry for derailing your thread. Lol.

I just read a little bit about leucine.

Article:
    Leucine nutrition in animals and humans: mTOR signaling
    and beyond

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21773813

If you want to read it and have trouble getting to it, let me know.
  • Griffin220x
    Griffin220x Posts: 399
    Options
    The cool thing with BCAAs are their metabolic routes. They do not have to be metabolized by the liver and tend to be used by the muscles. They do not have calories unlike a protein shake, so it helps when following an intermittent fasting leangains regimen.

So for homey, he probably consumes his largest meal after his workout which ends his fast and then he has 8 hours to consume his calories for the day.

Thats not really true, BCAA's do indeed have calories. Leucine infact has 7 cal/g

I stand corrected. Leucine does have calories, as do all free form aminos.

This made me think though!
    Although it does have calories, is it in a readily useable form as an energy source as free form leucine? Only after

What's your major? and I'm sorry for derailing your thread. Lol.

I just read a little bit about leucine.

Article:
    Leucine nutrition in animals and humans: mTOR signaling
    and beyond

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21773813

If you want to read it and have trouble getting to it, let me know.

Thats fine, I figure i've already got plenty of info from everyones opinon and thanks for the article. I'm majoring in Communication Technology, more specificly the graphic design and digital art aspect. If ya know anyone in that field let me know, job hunting sucks right now lol.
  • mikepasztor
    Options
    Thats fine, I figure i've already got plenty of info from everyones opinon and thanks for the article. I'm majoring in Communication Technology, more specificly the graphic design and digital art aspect. If ya know anyone in that field let me know, job hunting sucks right now lol.

Yeah rough times. That's the scary thing about college, is the commitment and cost to come out and have trouble finding a job.

But BCAA's try to help prevent muscle breakdown. They're all found in your food sources, so is it essential to buy a supplement? No. But it may help some people that do take them.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I stated training fasted about six months ago and it works well for me. I have been increasing reps and weights on majority of my lifts and have seen decrease in body fat % (about 3%). I do leangains 18/6 protocol....
  • Griffin220x
    Griffin220x Posts: 399
    Options
    I stated training fasted about six months ago and it works well for me. I have been increasing reps and weights on majority of my lifts and have seen decrease in body fat % (about 3%). I do leangains 18/6 protocol....

Sweet, nice job! Have you taken bcaa's, if so do you feel they help?
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Definitly don't lift to fasted or you won't have adequate TUT...

Wait, what?
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,001 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting heavy in a fasted state (16 hours fasted) since October. So, that's 6 months of it and, much to my GREAT surprise, my lifting hasn't suffered from some sort of "energy drag", AT ALL.
  • dr3w_s
    dr3w_s Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I wake up at 6.30 and workout (weight training) around 7, all I have is a can of energy drink (need those caffeine early in the morning) , protein shake and breakfast after workout before going to work. I don't take BCAA and I still grow muscle when I eat surplus
  • wllwsmmr
    wllwsmmr Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I don't lift weights but I do cardio fasted because eating before cardio is uncomfortable for me. Also, I sometimes eat til very late at night the previous day so there's lesser of a fasting time there.
    Agreed that HIIT isn't something easy to do fasted, it will make you feel burnt out! But if you're willing to give it some time, you might get used to it just like I did! So it's a personal preference! Just eat something after your work out and the lethargy will dissipate!
  • wllwsmmr
    wllwsmmr Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I don't lift weights but I do cardio fasted because eating before cardio is uncomfortable for me. Also, I sometimes eat til very late at night the previous day so there's lesser of a fasting time there.
    Agreed that HIIT isn't something easy to do fasted, it will make you feel burnt out! But if you're willing to give it some time, you might get used to it just like I did! So it's a personal preference! Just eat something after your work out and the lethargy will dissipate!
  • n_unocero
    n_unocero Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    On a kind of side note to this question....how long does it have to be after you eat to be considered "fasted"?
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    On a kind of side note to this question....how long does it have to be after you eat to be considered "fasted"?

I think people are generally practicing a least a 16 hour fast, though often women are encouraged to do only 14 hours. I vary from day to day, sometimes 14, sometimes 16 (or a little more).
  • Phrakman
    Phrakman Posts: 113
    Options

Supposedly the benefits from fasting start around the 12hr mark. Also it would depend on the composition and size of your last meal. If its a 150 calorie whey shake, youd enter a "fasted" state much sooner then a 2000 calorie meal of steak, veggie, potatoes.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Check out Dr. John Berardi's article on Intermittent Fasting or the Leangain's website, it's well covered there. Basically the recommendation is to take BCAA prior to working out to help minimize any muscle catabolism. Yes, BCAA's definitely have calories but the calories are minimal and don't break the fast, whereas the whey will break the fast. It really does come down to personal preference, find what works best for you. Somedays I feel fine with fasted training while some days I wish I would've downed 500 to 600 calories before hitting the gym, just depends.