How can I lose 10 pounds in one month?

Options
Hi there. I am currently 148 pounds, 5'6". I would like to lose 8-10 pounds before a big event in May. I eat a low carb diet and do not enjoy running, but do like fast-pace walking. Any suggestions?

Replies

• catrunsintowindow
    catrunsintowindow Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Big calorie deficit, strength training, and HIIT would be my recommendations. Also be aware, 8 lbs in a month is at the high end of what's considered 'healthy' to lose in a month, so you may or may not be overreaching yourself here.
  • thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    You won't. Try to incorporate some strength training into your routine, eat at a reasonable deficit (TDEE-20% is recommended as the max deficit for fat loss generally), and try to enjoy yourself at your event without worrying about your weight.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ Here's a good calculator
  • stephanne82
    stephanne82 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I am the same height and weight as you and there is no healthy way to lose that much in a month. You are at a healthy weight and should lose about 0.5 lbs a week so you don't lose too much muscle.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Why are you trying to lose 8-10 pounds so quickly when you are already in a healthy weight range for your height?

You need to readjust your expectations. If you just want to tone up your body then you need to focus on weight and strength training rather than weight loss. If you just feel more comfortable at a lower weight but still within a healthy range for your height then you should not plan on losing more than 1/2 a pound a week.

Regardless, it isn't going to happen in one month in any kind of a healthy manner. Your special event will still be special whether or not you lose any weight for it unless all your focus is on the scale.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit. That's all that matters. Without it, nothing else matters.
  • MissMormie
    MissMormie Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Cut off a leg, that will do it.

But seriously, why the requirement to lose 10 pounds in one month?

A pound of fatloss approximately means 3500 calories eaten less than you've used. So for 10 pounds that's 35.000 calories deficit.

You approximately burn 2000calories a day (TDEE), without any extra workouts, so for a 30 day month that's 60.000 calories you burn. Meaning you're trying to create a deficit of more than half the calories you would normally need. That's means you need to consume less than 1000 calories net per day. That equals a lot of extra workouts at a very low caloric amount. Sure it's doable. But by setting such a high goal and hard goal you're probably setting yourself up for a failure.

Why not aim for losing that in 2 months time, or even 3 or 4 depending on how your body reacts. There's a whole life in front of you in which you can be 10 pounds lighter, one or two months doesn't make that big a difference, as long as you're working toward your goal.
  • NoPortionControl
    Options
    Hi everyone, thanks for the responses! I have been at a health weight for most of my life. It is more of a mental thing and confidence boost, the idea of losing some weight. I find myself beating myself up too much over it and become a tad obsessive. 10 lbs is definitely pushing it.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, thanks for the responses! I have been at a health weight for most of my life. It is more of a mental thing and confidence boost, the idea of losing some weight. I find myself beating myself up too much over it and become a tad obsessive. 10 lbs is definitely pushing it.
    You are still a healthy weight.
  • peachyolives
    peachyolives Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    10 pounds would be tough. Basically, it would come down to your metabolism and activity level. My weight has since gone up, but last year I was around 158 lbs (at 5'4) in January and lost about 10 pounds in a month. I did that by watching what I ate (had between 1200-1800 calories a day) and running at least 3 times a week. I have had metabolic testing done, however, and know I have a high metabolism, so I'm pretty much guaranteed to lose weight at a pretty good clip eating anything under 1,800 calories a day.

I would experiment, see what works for you. And if you can't lose the 10 pounds in a month (which seems very lofty of a goal), be happy with what you can do!