I don't feel my Weight.

Options
AIZZO4
AIZZO4 Posts: 404 Member
I have been a big guy, my whole life. However, I never felt I was as big as the scale told me. I have several thoughts on why that is:
1. I never really had “big guy” drama. Of course I was called names but I always had friends, decent at sports, and was some what popular.

2. Sometimes see other big people and think to myself, “well I am not as big as them,” so maybe that made me feel like I was smaller.

Does anybody else feel the same way about themselves?
Have you felt like there is no way you weigh as much as the scale says?

Replies

• lfergurson1
    lfergurson1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Amen! As a woman of course I grew up with a bit of name calling as a child and such BUT I never saw myself as the number on the scale. So its tricky for sure in fact my ex husband made fun of overweight people and told me I was different... Ummm not really I was over weight. Thankfully I have enough self esteem to carry me because I know some size 5 women who dont have any. I think thats where this topic falls you like yourself and thats a great trait. Now get the mind and the body to match and BAM!
  • BluLotus2
    BluLotus2 Posts: 87
    Options
    I don't feel my weight either. Sometimes I believe the scale is playing tricks on me, lol! People always underestimate how much I weigh and when I tell them they don't believe it! When I lose weight I get the 'OMG you have lost so much weight"; when actually its only a 15-20 lb loss! I blame my height I'm only 4 11 3/4, I just round it off to 5 ft.
  • AIZZO4
    Options
    I don't feel my weight either. Sometimes I believe the scale is playing tricks on me, lol! People always underestimate how much I weigh and when I tell them they don't believe it! When I lose weight I get the 'OMG you have lost so much weight"; when actually its only a 15-20 lb loss! I blame my height I'm only 4 11 3/4, I just round it off to 5 ft.

"Only a 15-20 lb loss" lmao. Shorty
  • dogo187
    dogo187 Posts: 376
    Options
    i never, ever felt like i was over 300lbs but that doctors scale told me otherwise...

looking back at the few pictures i do have at that weight and my pictures now i cant believe that i didn't feel all that extra weight....

the amount of that ive lost is the weight of my five year old and eight year old put together....yes, i can pick them both up but man, its hard! and they are heavy!!!!

feeling like your weight is different for everyone...strange thing is that more often now i still feel heavy, who knows...i know my mine still has to catch up with my body!
  • BluLotus2
    BluLotus2 Posts: 87
    Options

"Only a 15-20 lb loss" lmao. Shorty

But in my mind, I'm atleast 5'7" lmao!!!
  • tweetiejovi
    tweetiejovi Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    never had I seen myself as the number on the scales, always carried it well but when I got on last year at nearly 250lbs I knew I need to do something but now at 169 still don't see it got told the other day not to waste away and I feel I still need to lose like 40-50lbs. just recently seen myslf in the mirror and been like wow I look slim, then go out with a smaller friend and feel like a house
  • jacalennejax
    jacalennejax Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I have been a big guy, my whole life. However, I never felt I was as big as the scale told me. I have several thoughts on why that is:
    1. I never really had “big guy” drama. Of course I was called names but I always had friends, decent at sports, and was some what popular.

2. Sometimes see other big people and think to myself, “well I am not as big as them,” so maybe that made me feel like I was smaller.

I definitly feel you. I think it took me so long to start losing because I never really felt as big as I was. I didnt have trouble walking, or going up the stairs, I had groups of close friends, general friends, I was popular, I played sports, I was in clubs etc etc.

I had people who though I was attractive and made me feel loved.

I was a size 24 at 325 lbs. But I have a lot of muscle from sports in high school. So I didnt look that much ( At least to me) .
    A lot of other people are like a size 26 or 28 at that weight.

I didnt feel that much. I would look at the sizes of clothes, and Say that's not that small- i can fit in that. But really it was two sizes too small. LOL.

When i tell people what i started out at they dont believe me. That i could have weighed that much.

Now i look at myself and even after 40 pounds lost, I dont see a difference at all.

I wonder sometimes if My scalle is off. Because what im losing on the scale just doesnt seem reflected in my body. IDk Shrugs.
  • AIZZO4
    Options
    never had I seen myself as the number on the scales, always carried it well but when I got on last year at nearly 250lbs I knew I need to do something but now at 169 still don't see it got told the other day not to waste away and I feel I still need to lose like 40-50lbs. just recently seen myslf in the mirror and been like wow I look slim, then go out with a smaller friend and feel like a house

Wow, thanks for the comment. Awesome job by the way. I wish I was 250.
  • AIZZO4
    Options

I definitly feel you. I think it took me so long to start losing because I never really felt as big as I was. I didnt have trouble walking, or going up the stairs, I had groups of close friends, general friends, I was popular, I played sports, I was in clubs etc etc.

I had people who though I was attractive and made me feel loved.

I was a size 24 at 325 lbs. But I have a lot of muscle from sports in high school. So I didnt look that much ( At least to me) .
    A lot of other people are like a size 26 or 28 at that weight.

I didnt feel that much. I would look at the sizes of clothes, and Say that's not that small- i can fit in that. But really it was two sizes too small. LOL.

When i tell people what i started out at they dont believe me. That i could have weighed that much.

Now i look at myself and even after 40 pounds lost, I dont see a difference at all.

I wonder sometimes if My scalle is off. Because what im losing on the scale just doesnt seem reflected in my body. IDk Shrugs.

What about clothes? Do they feel loose? I bet they do.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    I don't feel my weight, I mean, I don't identify as a fat old lady. When I dream, I am healthy, fit and hot. I know I am more than my weight.

But I know the number on the scale is accurate, and that number is way to big for me to be healthy. So now, I working on getting healthier and fitter. The number on the scale is just a number to track my progress. I really enjoy the NSV's that I achieve almost daily.
  • Mexicanbigfoot
    Mexicanbigfoot Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    It's nice to hear other people feel this way and understand.

I always thought I looked "ok" and never felt like I was as big as I was. I was in denial for a long time. I avoided having pictures taken and for the most part, full length mirrors. One day, I stepped on the doctor's scale after not going for over 2 years and was like....HOLY *kitten*!! I could not BELIEVE it was correct showing my highest weight at 374 pounds!! HOW DID THIS HAPPEN?!

I acted like this weight "happened to me" and like I had nothing to do with it... (I have been an emotional eater my whole life.) Like I said, I was in TOTAL denial...

I think I finally have some of my emotional issues under control and so far, MFP has been a lifesaver. Today is my 92nd consecutive day and I'm down 24.8 pounds!! Good luck with your journeys, and if you need or want extra support, please feel free to add me! :flowerforyou:
  • AIZZO4
    Options
    i never, ever felt like i was over 300lbs but that doctors scale told me otherwise...

looking back at the few pictures i do have at that weight and my pictures now i cant believe that i didn't feel all that extra weight....

the amount of that ive lost is the weight of my five year old and eight year old put together....yes, i can pick them both up but man, its hard! and they are heavy!!!!

feeling like your weight is different for everyone...strange thing is that more often now i still feel heavy, who knows...i know my mine still has to catch up with my body!

Words can not express how proud of you I am. You look amazaing. Thanks for the comment.
  • AIZZO4
    Options
    It's nice to hear other people feel this way and understand.

I always thought I looked "ok" and never felt like I was as big as I was. I was in denial for a long time. I avoided having pictures taken and for the most part, full length mirrors. One day, I stepped on the doctor's scale after not going for over 2 years and was like....HOLY *kitten*!! I could not BELIEVE it was correct showing my highest weight at 374 pounds!! HOW DID THIS HAPPEN?!

I acted like this weight "happened to me" and like I had nothing to do with it... (I have been an emotional eater my whole life.) Like I said, I was in TOTAL denial...

I think I finally have some of my emotional issues under control and so far, MFP has been a lifesaver. Today is my 92nd consecutive day and I'm down 24.8 pounds!! Good luck with your journeys, and if you need or want extra support, please feel free to add me! :flowerforyou:

Awesome story. Good job on your loss. 92 days in a row is impressive. Keep it up.
  • sugboog29
    sugboog29 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I never felt that I was "obese", but then one day I REALLY saw myself in the mirror...WOW. It was then and there that I decided I wanted to lose that person before I turned 50 and become healthy and fit. Now I am 50 pounds lighter and feeling great...no I am not to my goal but working towards it...slowly.

There are days now that I look at myself and feel "fat". It is then I have to remember how far I have come and kick myself in the rear. No looking back, only moving forward.!!
  • angel_bear60
    angel_bear60 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I've always had a weight problem but never realized how heavy I was til I had pacemaker surgery jan 3rd. I was the typical fat girl in school (no friends, name calling, etc), but that didn't change who I was. I was ok with myself. Of course now I know that I turned to food as comfort. Mom didn't help with always having homemade meals and desserts every day. I grew up when you had family meals and you had to eat everything on your plate or you stayed at the table. I was 180 lbs when I met my husband and we married. I was a size 18 then. A year later our daughter came along with 100+lbs. I'm 52 and my youngest is 25. I've been fighting weight forever. I've tried everything. Nothing worked. I was is denial that I was this big (I started mfp at 294). I would look at others and think at least I'm not as big as that person. Then I started thinking, I'm as big as them, that's what I look like. After my surgery I started realizing that I needed to do something about my weight. I want to be around for my family (just had my 1st grandson on 1/15/13). Suddenly it was like a light switch came on. I may not feel the weight but everything around me says you are that weight. I had to accept the fact that I was 294, i had to do something to get healthier. That's when a friend told me about mfp and I joined. But I really wasn't do all that I could to lose the weight. April 1st, I decided to do something about it, made goals and because of the wonderful people on here and the encouragement, I'm doing it one day at a time. I love all of you
  • jacalennejax
    jacalennejax Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    What about clothes? Do they feel loose? I bet they do.
    [/quote]

Yeah- There are some things that i'll put on and they feel loose. Everyone tells me I look smaller. I got two comments just this morning sitting at my desk. But- no clothes that will just fall off though. Thats what i want to get to. LOL. :) Although i think my biggest NSV was sitting at a Red Wings game and sit in the sit comfortably with room to turn and be able to breathe lol.
  • NHoughton13
    NHoughton13 Posts: 303
    Options
    I knew I was big, but I never felt "fat" until I watched the Biggest Loser. The starting weights of the contestants was my actual weight!! I would look at those poor women on display in sports bras and spandex and think, "Wow, is that what I look like?" I had avoided the mirror so long, I was in complete denial.
  • mghanie
    mghanie Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I did the exact same thing as you did when I was younger. I saw other people who were big and said I am not as big as them so I'm ok, and I never believed what the scale said I always thought I don't look that heavy. I knew I was fat but I did not know I was that fat until I started losing some weight and was able to fit into my clothes better.

I hit a plateau since October and I had 6 more pounds to lose and I weighed myself this morning and I was up 6 pounds! which I feel was probably due to logging inaccurately. Now I have 12 pounds to lose and I hope I can drop that by August at least. I am defiantly gong to log accurately and log everything i eat no matter how small it is. I really want to lose these 12 pounds!
  • phoenix7039
    Options
    Oh wow, I never realized so many other people felt that way too! I went on WW several years ago starting at 286 lbs. i lost just over 100 lbs and was looking really good. although I never went under 180, clothes looked good on me and I felt comfortable in my own skin so I was ok staying around that weight. Then I let my life take over and stopped paying attention to what I ate and how much of it. I ended up at about 310 lbs...yikes! I never felt I had put that much weight back on. But what I was seeing in pictures didn't match how I felt. So I pushed myself to step on the scale and then picked my jaw up off the floor. My fiancee was recently diagnosed with IBS and has some other food allergies going on. So I just stick to the things I make for him and watch my portion size and calorie intake. seems to be working. I won't be anywhere near my goal in time for our wedding in May, but by our first anniversary I'll be close to where I want to be. I'm done with this "big girl" body for good! I want to be healthy and to be with my wonderful fiancee for many years.
  • mechelemc
    mechelemc Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I knew I was big, but I never felt "fat" until I watched the Biggest Loser. The starting weights of the contestants was my actual weight!! I would look at those poor women on display in sports bras and spandex and think, "Wow, is that what I look like?" I had avoided the mirror so long, I was in complete denial.

That's exactly what I felt when I watched the Biggest Loser. I avoided pictures and mirrors. When I'd start a diet since I didn't think I was that big I'd stop after losing 20lbs. I still have to tell my self I need to be healthier the scale is not lying. It's do or die time.