HIIT... expert advice please!

Options
After reading The New Rules for Lifting for Women, I took their advice and switched my crazy long 75 minute elliptical into a 25 minute HIIT session followed by the steady state workout. (They said this is best for people who actually like a lot of cardio).

So, today I did the first session. I normally can go 75-90 minutes on level 10-15. My hr stays in the 150s the whole time in steady state.

For the HIIT session I did 90 seconds level 15 as hard and as fast as I could make the machine go. I had my heart rate at 175 for all 6 intervals.
Then I did 2 minutes of level 8 or 9, extremely easy, until my hr went down to 130ish. Repeated 6 times. I know I must have been doing something right, because they say that HIIT is not sustainable for longer that 25 minutes, and that was definitely the case with me. My legs were shaking and I couldn't have done a 7th interval if I wanted to. Per the book, I got off and took a 5 minute break and then did another 50 minutes in steady state, which did seem tougher to get through.

My questions are:
In the easy interval, my hr would just barely get down to 135 and it would be time to go again. Should I make the easy interval longer, or is this okay?

What should my goals for improvement be? Longer high interval? Higher resistance?

Are my heart rates in the right percentages? I'm 39.

I'm doing my first lifting session on Wednesday, can I do cardio every day, or should I only lift on lifting days?

TIA for your help!

Replies

• slroggemann
    slroggemann Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I'd like to know what people have to say as well...I do the interval setting on the elliptical which is 2minutes at ramp 4, resistance 1, then 2 minutes at ramp 10, resistance 8, and I usually do a 35 minute session.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    This is an interesting question and I am waiting for some answers from the big guns on this forum. But from my knowledge the great thing about HIIT is that you can freestyle it. There is no hard and fast rule when it comes to HIIT, the main principle is that you go as fast as you can, then slow it down. That's it. Anyone who says you HAVE to do, eg 30 seconds high, 60 seconds low, then they need a reality check (or at the very least provide some evidence for their claims).

Your HR seems fine. I don't think you should be overly concerned with what your HR should be. Rather, go purely on the time of high and low intensity. HIIT can increase your aerobic and anaerobic capacity and VO2 max (as well as EPOC compared to steady state cardio, see below). If you are resting primarily until your HR reaches, eg 135 bear in mind that as your fitness levels adapt to HIIT your recovery time will decrease, so you might start HIIT taking 3 minutes to reach 135 HR, but 4 weeks later you might only take 1 minute to reach down to 135 HR.

I would suggest doing cardio on your days off lifting to begin with. In your case, your lifting sessions are going to be the most important part of your training; lifting should take precedence over all other forms of exercise. The reason for this is that doing steady state cardio may affect your energy levels in the weight room. Having said that, if you do decide to do cardio every day and you feel absolutely able to complete your lifting session to your highest level, then by all means do cardio every day. If however, you feel as if your cardio is draining some of your energy (even partially) in the weight room, then back off the cardio a little. Remember, The New Rules for Lifting for Women puts a lot of focus on large compound exercises which use several muscle groups at a time and if you went for, eg a tough 5 mile run today and have your first session tomorrow morning, you might be very tired, other times you might not. Some days I have a weight session in the morning and a sprint or track session in the evening. Sometimes I have plenty of energy in my legs, other times I am completely and utterly shattered. Stress can also play a large factor in this - I'm sure looking after kids is a lot tougher than worrying about a couple of classes you haven't prepared for.

EPOC is excess post-exercise oxygen consumption - this creates an oxygen debt and a build up of lactic acid in your muscles, both of which must be eradicated once you've finished exercise. As your body restores this imbalance it increases your metabolism, so you burn more calories even at rest [from Nick Mitchell]. There was quite a good article on Charles Poliquin's website about this - http://www.charlespoliquin.com/ArticlesMultimedia/Articles/Article/854/Lose_Weight_For_Summer_Top_Five_Training_Tips_For_.aspx. It can also be extremely satisfying psychologically and therefore give your more motivation to workout as you feel better upon completion).
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    ...from my knowledge the great thing about HIIT is that you can freestyle it.

I am no pro, but that is what I do. I mix together intervals of high intensity cardio (like a 100 yard dash), then down to a 4.0 mile fast pace walk, then quick lunges for 20 yards follwed by a backward run, then down to a 4.0 mile fast pace walk, and then maybe quick rep tire flips and a bleacher run. "Sets" of the HIT last anywhere from 30 seconds to over a minute and the same for the lower training. I don't vary too much but sometimes I take an extra 10-20 seconds for recovery so I can max better. Not exactly what HIIT recommends, but it is working well for me.

So the mix is strength training with low weight and high rep sets, true HIIT cardio, and decent recovery time. Just doing that over my standard 5-6 mile runs cut my time down from an hour to 35 minutes and I am eating more and still losing more.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    There are several ways to increase the difficulty.

Make the hard intervals longer (without going easier)
    Make the rest intervals shorter
    Add more repetitions

Any of those will give you the same result which is to spend more time at max effort.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I usually try to hit it 100% or close to for a longer distance/time. Take the same break every time. Like others said, its more of a freestyle thing. Do what works for you.
  • mountaingirl2207
    Options
    Thanks so much everybody! Excellent advice/ ideas!
  • HRLaurie614
    HRLaurie614 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Very helpful.