can protein powder keep me from losing weight?

Options
Hi all so i have stayed the same weight for about a month I exercise six times a week and three of those days are lifting days, and I eat about half of my calories back from exercising! My fiance mentioned to me this morning that maybe it is from my protein shake. He did some research on the BODY FORTRESS kind that I use. ( I use it bc It is cheaper and it is whey protein) but it does have artificial flavors in it. I am not giving up on eating healthier and moving because I do feel my body changing. I have PCOS so I knew losing weight would be a slow process. Well ten pounds in three months seems REALLY REALLY SLOW! anyways I drink the protein once a day in a shake with almond milk oats and Adam's natural PB. and occasionally a teaspoon of cinnamon. Is it what I'm putting in with the protein that's bad! Please excuse my rant but if anyone has any advise it would be GREATLY appreciated! Thank you MFP buddies

Replies

• PilotX
    PilotX Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    do you eat a lot of carbs?
  • ismiseciara
    ismiseciara Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Ten pounds in three months isn't actually that slow (it works out around 3/4lb a week). It's very hard to offer advice when you're not logging consistently and we don't have any details of your current height, weight and age.
  • MrsK20141004
    MrsK20141004 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    10 pounds in 3 months is healthy. Its a little less than a pound a week. I don't think the protein powder would prevent you from losing anything though.

Do you have a heart rate monitor? How are you calculating how much you burn during a workout? I don't see much that could be better except you might be eating back more than you're burning but while still eating at a deficit, if that makes sense.

The only other thing that might help would be variety in your workout routine, you don't want your body to get used to the exercise and have it be less effective.

You're doing great, 10 pounds is awesome. Stick with it!
  • AllyTheguineapig
    Options
    It doesn't stall me but I eat low-carb.
  • ismiseciara
    ismiseciara Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    im having the same issue but i think where im going wrong is my macros! looking at my diary my diet is 50% carbs!!!:embarassed: im trying to stick to 40/30/30 to see if it helps ... i just love fruit too much haha ...
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    In looking at your diary my best guess is that your calories are just too low. I saw a few under 1000 calories - that is when you logged. I've used that brand of protein powder and never found that it hindered weight loss.
  • fitthatweddingdress
    fitthatweddingdress Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the advise! It has got to be the carbs most of my days are 50% carbs, I'll start lowering my carbs and also I'm terrible about logging on the weekends! I am 5'2" and weigh 220 pounds
  • daniellealys
    daniellealys Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the advise! It has got to be the carbs most of my days are 50% carbs, I'll start lowering my carbs and also I'm terrible about logging on the weekends! I am 5'2" and weigh 220 pounds
    3/4lb per week for someone who weighs 220 is kinda slow actually. I weigh 200lbs, so I can relate. I have lost 45lbs in 5.5 months. I would be frustrated if I had the same results as you are having. Especially if you are working hard. you said you dont log on the weekends? Why? do you go over? are those cheat days? if so, thats your problem. If you are good 80-90% of the time then its something else. it might be the protein powder. honestly, I wouldnt consume anything that is NOT whole in nature if you are trying to loose a lot of weight. look at what you are eating that comes from a package and stop eating it 80-90% off the time. The rest of the time, you can splurge a bit. Just a thought....