Spring Break! -- Advice for Eating While on Vacation?

Options
Started Spring Break today. That means vacation -- hooray! But it also means disruption of a daily routine that was tweaked over time to fit my goals. It takes valuable vacation time to find good places to eat out -- most of the nearby eating establishments aren't exactly good places to eat. The family is supportive but it really disrupts the routine when we can't just eat at the closest place because there's nothing on the menu that works for me. For example, after much hunting finally stumbled upon Panera Bread; later drove a distance to seek out a salad/soup buffet restaurant. Don't usually dine at these places but tried to choose chain restaurants with some MFP entries in the database, and from there sought to pick the healthiest items from the menu. That included a turkey sandwich and soup for lunch (skipped the chips), a "low-cal smoothie," and salad/soup for dinner. Despite that, after faithfully logging in everything I ate, I was mildly surprised to see that I ended up with 2100 kCal for the day, which isn't horrible but about 250 kCal over my goal. The extra intake was balanced by the added exercise from all the walking.

It's very hard to know what's in restaurant food, and it's a complete guess when dining at 95% of establishments because they don't post nutritional information and aren't in the MFP database. Reviewing yesterday's log, I'm shocked at the sodium in the restaurant food (7000 mg in one day!), which is double my usual intake -- and I don't really watch my sodium intake like I should. My weigh-in perhaps reflected all that salt -- 1.5 - 2 lb over the day before, which hopefully will be lost in a day or two if I clean up my act.The remainder of week will be a good test for seeing how well I can exercise good judgment when it comes to entree selection and portion control when dining out. To start with, I've already decided to make the breakfast very simple -- yogurt and a slice of toast should do it. We'll see how the rest of the week goes.

Please feel free any words of wisdom for sticking to goals while on vacation (or for that matter, while on business trips, etc.) I've got 5 days to go and I don't want to be up 5 lb at the end of the week!

Replies

• twoss9112
    twoss9112 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Stick to basic things that you can easily add up / estimate, like salad and wraps, fresh fruit for snacks, etc. Things that come with dressing or toppings (guacamole, etc) - get those on the side and add your own amounts. Always see if menus include substitution choices, for example, most breakfast menus off a substitution of egg beaters or egg whites in place of eggs... stuff like that.

Avoid sauces. Avoid creamy dressing (opt for vinigarettes or use a lemon wedge to squeeze on salad or wraps in place of dressing). Avoid anything fried, sauteed or broiled. "steamed" and "grilled" are words you want to look for. Get a side of veggies (or fruit) in place of fries and chips.

It's hard when those damn fries are right there on the menu wanting to be ordered by you, but you know what, those fries will just get over it, because damn it, the broccoli is lonely and deserves attention also! No one ever chooses him and he just wants some love too!

There is nothing saying you can't bring some of your own food along also while your out and about. A cooler bag with some frozen ice packs with a couple yorgurts or some hummus and veggie sticks... a few Larabars or Kind Bars for snacks - apple wedges with peanut butter (they make little travel peanut butters).

You can always stop off at a Starbucks and grab a sandwich or a Bistro Box - they always have all the calories and nutritio info right on them and they have some pretty low cal healthy ones too! I like their chicken / carrots / hummus one a lot.

Traveling around with a cooler bag sucks a little but I got used to it. I'd rather do that than feel like I don't have my own choices for what *I* want to eat.

Regarding Panera, since you mentioned it - I was there a few weeks ago, not of my own choice. I shared a bagel with someone (you can always just eat half if no one wants to share one). I had half the bagel, with the cream cheese on the side (so I could put my own ONE tbsp - though make sure to remember to ask for light cream cheese. I forgot to :( ). With that I ordered and apple and a side of peanut butter and that was my breakfast. Yes I wanted a big old breakfast sammich but I made do, I had a little bit of a bagel cream cheese treat and I didn't break the calorie bank.
  • jbruced
    jbruced Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Ty to select grilled meats if at all possible as most are grilled to order whichmeans they are seasoned at the time of grilling. The advantage to you is that you can request that the cook not season your item. From there you can only make the best salad and vegetable cliff's available. Keep some fresh fruit at the hotel or room for dessert.
  • yellowabc
    yellowabc Posts: 14
    Options
    twoss9112,

That's a really great post, chock full of practical, helpful suggestions. I'm going to try some of the stuff you suggest, including the BYO idea. Thank you!

Cheers!
    -yellowabc
  • yellowabc
    Options
    Thanks, jbruced for the additional suggestions.

Not to veer off the main topic too much, but any thoughts about how to log in restaurant food? I assume I pick something close and guess the portion size. The real question comes in as to how to "adjust" for added salt and calories -- do I up the portion size (that fixes the calorie part but throws off the other nutritional info), add a "hidden ingredient" (like salt, or olive oil, guessing the portion), or just do a quick calorie add? Or something else?
  • yellowabc
    Options
    Hi MrM27,

First, congratulations on the upcoming Mexico trip! You must be looking forward to that.

Second, I think you have a valid point so I appreciate your post. For me, I'm trying to learn new ways of enjoying eating out while still be somewhat mindful of my goals.

Third, if I were to go up a couple of pounds in a week-- either unavoidably, due to limitations of time or availability -- or purposefully, in order to enjoy myself -- well, then, I guess that'd be OK. But if I go up 4-5 lb due to lack of knowledge about alternatives and without really enjoying the extra calories, then I think I would regret that.

I guess I'm treating this week as a trial run for a longer vacation over the summer, hoping to gain good knowledge and build even better, sustainable habits that will work under a variety of conditions.

Finally -- yes, I agree -- I want to live and enjoy life -- both now and, good health permitting, well into the future!

Cheers!
    -- yellowabc
  • waistaway80
    waistaway80 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Are you staying anywhere that has a kitchen? Maybe you can buy some bread and lunch meat, or salad thing, soup, etc and make 1 to 2 of your meals, and then eat out sensibly for supper. Maybe where you're staying might have access to a grill; you could buy chicken or fish, and veggies. Those taste great and are helpful. We just came back from a 9-day vacation and There was no way to make any meals and I hate to say it but I gained 6 pounds.. Of course I had a great time but when I got back I had to start all over again! Good luck, have fun, but don't eat what you'll regret later!!
  • yellowabc
    Options
    Waistaway80,

Yes, great idea to make your own meals if possible. If no kitchen is available, I suppose one can buy fruit, nuts, water, and shelf items that can keep without refrigeration and use those for breakfast and healthy snacks/drinks.

Thanks for sharing your ideas!

Cheers!
    --yellowabc
  • ClassicStyles
    Options
    I have developed this funny habit of bringing healthy snacks, protein shakes and protein bars with me wherever I go. Salad is always an option... even the fast food places have it. Thank goodness.
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Seafood restaurants save me. And don't be afraid to ask for things the way you want at any decent restaurant....or even things that aren't on the menu. If they're listing a chicken wrap, can they just give you some grilled chicken with undressed salad on the side? (This works especially if you tell them you have a medical condition--and hey, overweight is a medical condition!)
  • yellowabc
    Options
    Hi Theresamcalla,

Yes, seems a lot of the tips recommend some version of bringing your own snacks! Definitely do-able, and I suppose the snacks can be some or all of a meal, too.

Fortunately, I really like salads and know most of the salad offerings at the big fast food chains by heart! Great idea...

Thanks for the suggestions!

Cheers!
    -- yellowabc
  • yellowabc
    Options
    Hi Mahanaibu,

Ahh, the seafood restaurant suggestion -- if only this excellent source of nutrition ranked higher on the spectrum of my protein faves; I'm usually not a fish guy but must admit a wear prepared sole, halibut, or sea bass really can be quite delicious!

And the other idea to ask for some customization of listed food items is a really good one I hadn't previously thought of -- thanks for that great suggestion! I'll definitely keep it in mind.

Cheers!
    -- yellowabc
  • yellowabc
    Options
    All --

Thanks for the replies.

I did some research and found some helpful tips for healthy restaurant eating from Tom Venuto (Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle). To quote:

• DON’T order restaurant or fast food burgers, they are usually loaded with fat and very high in calories. Instead, choose a grilled chicken or turkey breast sandwich.
    • DON’T order cheese, cream, egg, or onion soups. Instead choose clear, broth-based soups with noodles or vegetables.
    • DON’T order foods described as buttered, buttery, in butter sauce, prime, stuffed, sautéed, fried, pan fried, batter-dipped, creamed, in cream sauce, in cheese sauce, in its own gravy, hollandaise, béarnaise, beurre blanc, parmigiana, parmesan, alfredo, au gratin, au lait, a la mode, au fromage, basted, marinated, or escalloped.
    • DON’T order rich, creamy sauces.
    • DON’T put croutons, bacon bits, ham, creamy dressing & other high fat toppings on salads.
    • DON’T order croissants, pastries, biscuits, butter rolls, or regular muffins.
    • DON’T order traditional desserts. If you must, split one dessert with a friend.
    • DON’T feel that you must eat everything on your plate.
    • DO order food described as broiled, grilled, poached, roasted, baked or steamed
    • DO order whole grain breads, toast, breadsticks, rolls, or pitas (no butter).
    • DO order your vegetables steamed.
    • DO order fresh fruit (no whipped cream or toppings).
    • DO order grilled (not fried) chicken breasts and make sure skin is removed.
    • DO order red pasta sauces instead of creamy white sauces (like alfredo).
    • DO order entrees containing chicken, fish, seafood, rice, potatoes, and vegetables.
    • DO order your baked potatoes plain (no butter, no sour cream, no bacon bits).
    • DO order green & tossed salads without the high-fat toppings (bacon bits, cheese, croutons).
    • DO order low calorie salad dressings.
    • DO order low calorie syrup for pancakes (preferably whole wheat or buckwheat).
    • DO order bagels or low-fat/sugar-free muffins at breakfast instead of donuts or pastries.
    • DO order your eggs cooked with whites only or no more than 1 yolk.
    • DO order beverages such as low fat or skim milk, diet sodas, fruit juice, tea, coffee.
    • DO eat small portions.
    • DO use freely spices, pepper, herbs, mustard, lemon juice and vinegar.
    • DO order desserts including frozen yogurt, frozen fruit ices, sugar-free jello.

Cheers!
    -- yellowabc