New here! 23 with Type 2 Diabetes

Options
I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about a year and a half ago. At first I was on oral medication, which makes it fairly easy to ignore that there is a problem...at least for me. A pill at night before bed, and we're good! Easy peasy! Then in January I went to the doctor and she deemed that the oral was not regulating my blood sugar enough and BAM before I know it, I'm now on insulin. Something I NEVER in my life thought I would have to deal with!

I was fine giving myself the injections the first week. I'm the type of person who doesn't let obstacles stand in my way, so I just filed it as another thing I needed to do in my day and just kept on going.

Then the gravity of the situation hit, and I was suddenly unable to give myself my nightly injections. I had to rely on my husband and grandmother to do it for me for about two months!

I became overwhelmed trying to find healthy, low sugar options of food to eat...what exercise should I be doing...etc! You think so many things are healthy...and might be, but for me there were a lot of common foods that should now be off the table. Pasta? Bread? Gone. I'm a huge...or I should say was a huge carb addict! Omg...the bakery isle. :D

Now I'm getting into a much healthier mode of eating and trying to incorporate exercise.

I'm here to keep a log of my journey from being 4'11 and 200lbs to hopefully (fingers crossed) 120lbs and knocking out diabetes altogether from my body!

I'm a very supportive person and will help you on your journey and I hope there are those out there who are willing to help with advice/support as I go on my journey!

Replies

• cfletch123
    Options
    A lot of the same here. I went on the needle 4 yrs ago and it has become a way of life. I joined MFP in January and by monitoring carbs and sugar intake numbers, My insulin injections have become easier to manage. (I take 4 injections per day.)
    My Dr. tells me to try to be @ 45to60 carbs/sugar intake per meal. Very hard at first!
    I am trying to consume all natural foods, and stay away from processed.
    You will do fine if you watch the carbs and your weight goals will happen! Stay away from the weight scale, it will drive you nuts.:smile:
  • bdubya55
    bdubya55 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about a year and a half ago. At first I was on oral medication, which makes it fairly easy to ignore that there is a problem...at least for me. A pill at night before bed, and we're good! Easy peasy! Then in January I went to the doctor and she deemed that the oral was not regulating my blood sugar enough and BAM before I know it, I'm now on insulin. Something I NEVER in my life thought I would have to deal with!

I was fine giving myself the injections the first week. I'm the type of person who doesn't let obstacles stand in my way, so I just filed it as another thing I needed to do in my day and just kept on going.

Then the gravity of the situation hit, and I was suddenly unable to give myself my nightly injections. I had to rely on my husband and grandmother to do it for me for about two months!

I became overwhelmed trying to find healthy, low sugar options of food to eat...what exercise should I be doing...etc! You think so many things are healthy...and might be, but for me there were a lot of common foods that should now be off the table. Pasta? Bread? Gone. I'm a huge...or I should say was a huge carb addict! Omg...the bakery isle. :D

Now I'm getting into a much healthier mode of eating and trying to incorporate exercise.

I'm here to keep a log of my journey from being 4'11 and 200lbs to hopefully (fingers crossed) 120lbs and knocking out diabetes altogether from my body!

I'm a very supportive person and will help you on your journey and I hope there are those out there who are willing to help with advice/support as I go on my journey!

Hi there mrscraig,

Congratulations on taking control of your health, you've made great progress already by signing up for the My Fitness Pal program. Your story brought back similar memories for me 27+ years ago, when I too was diagnosed an insulin dependent type 2 diabetic.

As you quickly learned, it's all about the carbs, and your meter will tell you what foods are good and the one's that aren't.

If you don't already know, there's a great Type 2 Diabetic support group on the My Fitness Pal site. I encourage you to
    to check out the various threads, and If you have any questions, feel free to ask, as there are many supportive, encouraging and helpful members eager to share their empathy.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1772-type-2-diabetes-support-group

Additionally, by working the My Fitness Pal program, watching my carbs, losing some unwanted pounds, I've been able to significantly reduce the amount of nighttime and mealtime insulins.

bloodsugar101.com is a wonderful site that's been very helpful to me and easy to understand.

I wish you great success. Good Luck!
  • mrscraig1020
    Options
    Thank you both very much for your words of support and insight! Hoping to get this under control! I've cut out just about all processed foods and I'm eating as fresh and healthy as possible!