I need help finding an exercise DVD!

Options
Hi everyone! I just suddenly decided to buy an exercise dvd. After reading about so many great dvds and the success that so many MFPers have been having, I think it's time I jump on board!
Here's what I'm looking for: I want to be able to start the DVD when I go down to SC to my parent's house for two weeks in August. It's WAY too hot down there to run outside, so I need to get my exercise some other way. I'd love a program that will absolutely show results after those two weeks so that I'm motivated to continue/finish it once I come back to New York and get busy again. I'm looking mainly for something to firm up my lower body (thighs, butt), my lower back/abs/love handles, and maybe my upper arms too? So maybe i'm looking for a full body fat loss/muscle building program?
I'd love it if the DVD were fun and motivating, something I won't get bored with. I'd also love to not have to buy any equipment or as little as possible (poor college student here! haha). Lastly, I'd love for a DVD that had different workouts on different days so my body has time to heal (ie, not working out sore muscles would be lovely).
Can anyone help?

Replies

• Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    The Biggest Loser dvds that I've tried are good. Power Sculpt, Cardio Max, and the original all offer different levels. All you need are some hand weights. I use these sometimes to cross train. My all time favorite dvds are from Turbo Jam though.
  • sandra80
    sandra80 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    i have been trying different ones from netflix. there are lots that you can view instantly through computer or tv (if you have the set up for that) i now have a couple pilates ones that i like through there and i have a salsa dancing one that i really like too (that totally kicks my *kitten*) i'm too cheap to buy a video but just hitting play through netflix? that i'll do.
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    P90X - Check it!
  • sngnyrslp
    sngnyrslp Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    P90X - Check it!

I don't know if I could stick to something for 90 days haha. I don't have a private space (I live with boyfriend/brother/friends over the summer and have a roommate at school) so it would be hard for me to really hang in there for P90X. That's why I think the two weeks I'm at my parents' house will be perfect - if I could find a shorter program (maybe 30 days?) I could get half of it done there.
  • jennebelle
    jennebelle Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I like the Biggest Loser Power Sculpt and Jillian's 30 day shred. I get cardio and weights.
  • sngnyrslp
    sngnyrslp Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Oh also another question! If I need weights, how do I know what weight I should go with? Maybe 5 pounds? I don't want to get weights that are too light or too heavy. would regular dumbells work?
    I'm asking so many questions!
  • BOGmama2010
    BOGmama2010 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I second P90X, but I know not everyone can do it.

As far as weights, I would probably go with 3 to 8 or 10 for now (3, 5, 8, 10). That's what I have for the X and it gets me through most of the tricep kickbacks, bicep curls, shoulder presses, etc. I do need to start adding 12s and 15s though.

FWIW I have heard great things about Jillian' 30 day shred.
  • TooFine4MFP
    TooFine4MFP Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Get Insanity is the BOMB! One of my girlfriends tried it and so I bought it myself without even having seen the infomercial. It is a SUPER intense workout, so if you like plyos, pushups, and that sort of the thing, I highly recommend it. I LOVE IT. I do it first thing in the morning and within the first 2 weeks I had lost like 10 inches all over my body. It comes w/ a nutrition guide w/ lots of EASY recipes, and an exercise calendar to keep you on track. Before you start the actual workout and 4 more times throughout, you have to do a Fit Test, which shows you where your fitness level is. Its very motivating to see it increase throughout the 60 day program. I will say that if you have back, neck, knee, or shoulder problems, its not a good program for you, otherwise its great and burns up to 1000 calories per session.

Another good workout DVD is Jackie Warner's workouts. I've done a couple of hers and they are great and I was pleased w/ the results. These are very inexpensive too, you can prob get them for like $15 a piece............hope this helps!
  • jlukehart
    jlukehart Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi, I love exercise DVDs, and have lot's of Chris Fretag's Prevention videos. They are great. Lately, I've added Ellen Barrett's Slim Sculpt. Take that a two 3 lb weights and one of her DVDs and you'll get a super work out. I know three pounds doesn't sound like much, but it is a upper and lower body real work out. Good luck!
  • cameralikeagun
    Options
    So glad you posted this, I've been looking for something I can do at home too.
  • theatremack
    Options
    ZUMBA!!! I really like it and find it fun and motivating!! They advertise it as lose 10 inches in 10 days and give you a schedule to follow! The ones I have, have and abs workout that work both your abs and waist! I really feel it the next day.

Plus its FUN FUN FUN. and you can find drop in classes at a pretty good rate around most areas.
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Two words....TURBO FIRE! Message me if you want the 4-1-1.