Is there such thing as too much cardio?

Options
Just wondering :)??

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Yes. You can overdo anything. Your body needs rest.
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Of course. If you're not taking rest days you're more prone to injury and burn out, or becoming obsessed with exercise.
  • dj7879
    dj7879 Posts: 22
    Options
    How much is to much?
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    yes, too much cardio (over 30 minutes) will start to burn muscle for energy. Look at marathon runners that have been running for years.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    There is for me. I usually run only every other day (though I may do other things on my off days).
    But, professional runners will do long runs twice a day. I assume they would know if that was hurting their performance and would not do it anymore. So, I would guess it helps.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    yes, too much cardio (over 30 minutes) will start to burn muscle for energy. Look at marathon runners that have been running for years.

If this was really true, don't you think eventually marathoners would not have enough muscle to run long distances anymore? Instead, the best marathoners train longer, and for more years, than the average marathoners. They may be skinny because running as much as they do burns tons of calories, and it is really hard to keep up. But burning muscle? A significant or meaningful amount of muscle? Doesn't make sense. If that were the case, then training more would be counterproductive, and the more you trained the worse you would get.
  • shawaniea
    shawaniea Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    hell yeah
  • skinnytayy
    skinnytayy Posts: 459
    Options
    Most definitely. You're body can only do so much & then it needs time to rest. Your muscles need time to repair. If you overdo yourself, you'll either burn out or end up injuring yourself.
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I would crack a Lance Armstrong joke, but that's too easy. I doubt a "normal person" could go too far. But listen to your body and if you're tired, sore, etc, rest!
  • Sieden76
    Sieden76 Posts: 127 Member
    Options

If this was really true, don't you think eventually marathoners would not have enough muscle to run long distances anymore? Instead, the best marathoners train longer, and for more years, than the average marathoners. They may be skinny because running as much as they do burns tons of calories, and it is really hard to keep up. But burning muscle? A significant or meaningful amount of muscle? Doesn't make sense. If that were the case, then training more would be counterproductive, and the more you trained the worse you would get.

I really like this answer. I guess for the average person trying to look their best and lose some weight then sure, they wouldn't want to overdo it but if you wanted to perform the best then it would be a different ball game all together.
  • JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Yes. You need at least 1 rest day