Carbs, Fats, and Proteins...who really cares?

Options
Does anyone really follow the suggested carb, fats and protein calculations. I think there have been very few days where i was under the alloted amount but i'm normally always under my calorie count.

I don't see the point. Certain carbs, fats, and proteins are good for you so as long as you're eating those should it really matter if you stay under MFP's suggested amount?

What are you thoughts? Do you guys try to stay under those amounts or completely ignore that column like i'm beginning to do?

Replies

• schmutsala
    Options
    I don't stress about it, but I do tend to change what I eat later on in the day depending on what it says. For example, if I'm really high on fat but low on carbs, I'll use the calories I eat for dinner on high-carb items, just to round it out.

It's kind of useful, and a hell of a lot useful when you compare it to other sites who give you a full nutrition report, which is interesting but never really accurate and pretty superfluous when your goal is weight loss.
  • nikki91950
    nikki91950 Posts: 647
    Options
    If I'm not mistaken, carbohydrates play a big role in sugar. So, for those who are watching their sugar intake and/or are diabetic, those numbers would be important to them. On the same note, I believe protein is important for muscle growth and repair. So, those amounts would be important to athletes and people who are trying to build up their muscle mass. And if you have a high percentage of body fat, you might want to keep track of how much fat you're taking in a day. Like in my case, I'm pretty positive that I have a much higher percentage of body fat compared to other people at my same age, build, and height. So I usually try to keep my fat intake on the lower end. Make sense? :)
  • Precious_Nissa
    Options
    I'm not going to say i dont care about the fats and sodium etc, but I focus more on being under my calorie goal than i do the rest...I have only went over in the other areas i'm tracking on certain occassions for the most part, i do not go over...now if i go over in iron, i'm happy but thats because i'm severely anemic so i need alot of iron.
  • Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I usually try to stay within the guidelines. I mean, it generally isn't exact, I'm always over on something, because I can calculate everything and spent THAT much time trying to make everything perfect. However, I do know which things I tend to struggle with and will make sure to not go over on them. For me, that's fat. Sometimes, I do so well that at the end of the day, I can have a piece of bread with real butter, and not go over.

I think the point is that even GOOD things, good fats, good carbs, good protein, are only good in moderation. If you eat too much of any of them, you will gain weight. So while I don't think it would be good for you obsess over it too much, trying to stay within in the guidelines is smart... they know what they're doing!
  • Iron_Biker
    Iron_Biker Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    If your goal is losing weight, calories will do.

But of course, if your goal is health, everything counts. High sodium and trans-fats can be bad for the heart, and carbs can also be used as fuel by the body. Sugar in excess can also be harmful after a while. Protein is the main source for muscle "building blocks", so it is essential for muscular development (as a side note, once the body burns all the available fuel, it starts burning protein--muscle--instead, so that's why some people get flabby and saggy after a big weight loss; they haver burned through muscle as well).

Personally, I track fat, carbs, protein, sugar and sodium, in that order.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    If I'm not mistaken, carbohydrates play a big role in sugar. So, for those who are watching their sugar intake and/or are diabetic, those numbers would be important to them. On the same note, I believe protein is important for muscle growth and repair. So, those amounts would be important to athletes and people who are trying to build up their muscle mass. And if you have a high percentage of body fat, you might want to keep track of how much fat you're taking in a day. Like in my case, I'm pretty positive that I have a much higher percentage of body fat compared to other people at my same age, build, and height. So I usually try to keep my fat intake on the lower end. Make sense? :)

Ah, I agree with the above poster and yes I think it's pretty important to keep track of what goes in our mouth. Most of us are here for that very reason, we weren't paying attention and gained weight because of it. I feel it's important to keep my blood sugars at a good place for my body, my fats healthy and not many of the unhealthy ones in my foods. I watch the sodium column more with interest than need. I find it amazing how much sodium is in nearly everything. From an apple to other fruits and veggies, some of it is natural, much of it is put their by processing means.

So yes I am one to watch my food diary, and keep track of proteins etc. Otherwise not sure what the point of joining a site that has a tracker would be?? lol I mean the message board is helpful but did anyone really join MFP for only the message board.

Maybe I'm not quite understanding your question in regards to 'who really cares'

Becca
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Does anyone really follow the suggested carb, fats and protein calculations. I think there have been very few days where i was under the alloted amount but i'm normally always under my calorie count.

I don't see the point. Certain carbs, fats, and proteins are good for you so as long as you're eating those should it really matter if you stay under MFP's suggested amount?

What are you thoughts? Do you guys try to stay under those amounts or completely ignore that column like i'm beginning to do?

I set my own ratios for me to adhere too.
  • lyndsloo
    lyndsloo Posts: 242
    Options
    I think they do play a huge role in health and weight loss. I read blogs where people say they are not losing weight, but that they have stayed under their calorie goal every day since joining MFP. I often wonder if, even though they are staying under their daily calories, they are WAY over or WAY under in the carbs/fats/proteins/sodium categories. I, too, adjust my own daily goals. I have my carbs set for 35%, protein for 40%, and fat for 25%. I did this as a reminder to eat more proteins and less carbs. Otherwise, I'll chow down on carbs all day long! This also keeps me satisfied longer. Carbs quickly fuel me and proteins keep me full.
  • claw0416
    claw0416 Posts: 95
    Options
    For me it does count. If I do honestly put everything into the diary then I have to be held accountable to why I have not lost or Ihave gained. I can keep an eye on my daily intake and also know what foods are causing me to feel hungry sooner rather than later. Also The carbs, and proteins mean alot..Jut balancing them throughout the day keeps my blood sugar stable..Everyones body is different, and everyone is different in their mind frame of how to lose wieght, and stay healthy. So I think it is a personal choice..And if you find that its not workingwith what your doing then you go back to what was. You can always adjust your settings and set your own personal goals..
  • DoctorLaura
    DoctorLaura Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have learned to really listen to my body--something I have only been able to do since I got healthy. When I didn't eat properly I probably just felt lousy all the time. There are three things that I can actually feel when they're out of whack. For me, I feel the best when I carefully watch my calories, fibre, and sodium.

Calories: obviously this one is important...
    Fibre: if I don't get enough fibre I feel AWFUL. It helps to "move things along"--I notice a difference on the scale and in how I feel if I get less than 20 grams a day (many sources say women should get at least 25)
    Sodium: similar to fibre I notice an immediate difference in my body when I have too much sodium. My skin literally feels like it's crawling--it's terrible! This is because sodium makes you retain water, and it's not good for your heart either.

I agree with the previous posters--when you're focusing on health it is important to consider more than just calories, but it's important to figure out a system that works best for you and your needs :smile: