First time spinng class....Any suggestions?

Options
Im taking my first spinning class tomorrow morning and I am a little intimidated. Lol. I heard you can burn a ton of calories and its great for your legs and booty. I mostly have just been sticking with the elliptical machine until now. Any suggestions/advice?

Replies

• watchhillgirl
    watchhillgirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Go at your own pace. If you can't keep up don't get discouraged......and find a gel seat!!! You will be sore the next day, but spinning is really a great workout and a lot of fun! Have a good time!
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Either bring padded shorts or a pad for the seat. You can also ask the instructor if they have extra pads that you can borrow. Also, get there early so the instructor can help you set up the bike correctly. Don't feel like you have to keep up with everyone right away. Do what you can, at the resistance you can. One last thing, pay attention to the speed your instructor is going and match your resistance so you can go their speed at the intensity level they are instructing. If your wheels are flying and everyone else is dragging, you're not following the instructions correctly. This is particularly important when standing on the bike. You need enough resistance to make sure you are peddling the bike and it's not peddling you.

Have fun, I really enjoy my spinning classes!
  • alissadough84
    alissadough84 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    make sure that your seat is adjusted correctly... I can't even begin to tell you how important it is. AND keep your feet flat on the bike (don't let them face downward).

Yes, I am speaking from injury experience. But at long you keep on eye on your feet and keep your seat right you should be good!
  • Marley112586
    Marley112586 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Thank you ladies. How do I know if its adjusted right?
  • joyosplash
    Options
    Just ask the instructor for help, they will adjust the seat and explain how it should be!
  • 2stepscloser
    2stepscloser Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Thank you ladies. How do I know if its adjusted right?

I would ask the instructor to help adjust your bike settings. Your va jay jay will be sore the first couple of classes but its a great class and a lot of fun!
  • AnnaMolly17
    AnnaMolly17 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    No need to be intimidated, Spinning is one of the most enjoyable workouts in my opinion. Your instructor should help you out with adjusting your bike, just let them know it's your first time.

Check out this video for learning how to set up your bike. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oo2fsSb-HDU

Another thing to remember is to keep your core engaged during Spinning.

Every instructor is different in how they structure the class, but here you'll find some basic things to know about Spinning
    http://spinningmixes.wordpress.com/notes/

Hope this helped! Have fun!!