No change

Options
So I started mfp about 20 days ago and my cal goal is 1200, I've been exercising about 30 min a day minimum even though I've never been very active, I never really go over my 1200 but yet I haven't lost any weight :( the only change I've seen is about 4in off my waist but nowhere else, what am I doing wrong?

Replies

• jess6741
    jess6741 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    4 inches off your waist is amazing! Congrats on your success so far. If you are sticking to the MFP recommendations make sure you eat back your exercise calories. And a lot of people have had success doing TDEE -20% Look up in-place-of-roadmap.

Also remember it took much longer than 20 days to put the weight on. It will take a while for it to come off. Make sure your expectations are realistic.
  • Autumnsun26
    Autumnsun26 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I have lost about 12 lbs in the past 4 weeks but eating healthy and working out hard. i have increased my protein and limited my sugars and tha seems to have really helped.
  • Textmessage
    Textmessage Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    So I started mfp about 20 days ago and my cal goal is 1200, I've been exercising about 30 min a day minimum even though I've never been very active, I never really go over my 1200 but yet I haven't lost any weight :( the only change I've seen is about 4in off my waist but nowhere else, what am I doing wrong?

So you title this "No change" and you admit that you see a change of 4 inches. What's the issue? You need affirmation from a scale that your body is changing?
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Throw your scales out if they are making you think you had no change because they lie. 4 inches is a heck of a lot of fat gone.
  • buildingdreams
    buildingdreams Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    30 days working out and lost 1/2 lb but 10 inches all over. Im only weigh myself every 2 weeks. Im learning that the scale doesnt measure my success. It a process im dealing with
  • waj_b
    waj_b Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Firstly just to make sure.. you should weigh yourself at the same time each time... best time being in the morning empty stomach after visiting the toilet.
    secondly.. if you think your not going over maybeeee you are.. you should weigh your food.
    if youve lost 4 inches of your waist thats quite alot for just 20 days.
    the exercise dont matter.. you dont need to exercise to loose weight its just the caloric difference at the end of the day/week/month... also you goal of 1200 a day is alreadyyy a deficit. so if you do any exercise you should be eating the calories you burn back. or you will be at a greater deficit.
  • kaydukes
    kaydukes Posts: 4
    Options
    Really great advice. I just wanted to add that sometimes I forget to log EVERYTHING. It's vital to log even the olive oil or any fats that you use to cook. Also keeping your sodium intake as low as possible is vital so that you don't retain water weight. What you said about weighing yourself in the morning on an empty stomach is vital because If you weigh yourself throughout the day you will have various weight discrepancies that will discourage you. Oh and try cutting your portions in half and eating more regularly to jump start your metabolism. Good luck! Stick in there 4 inches is just the beginning if you don't give up.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    30 days working out and lost 1/2 lb but 10 inches all over. Im only weigh myself every 2 weeks. Im learning that the scale doesnt measure my success. It a process im dealing with

This. What if you lost 10 pounds but no inches?

What counts more?
  • emy71987
    emy71987 Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks for commenting, I'm kind of new to all this I've never really done any sort of diet so all your advice helps.
  • waj_b
    waj_b Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Really great advice. I just wanted to add that sometimes I forget to log EVERYTHING. It's vital to log even the olive oil or any fats that you use to cook. Also keeping your sodium intake as low as possible is vital so that you don't retain water weight. What you said about weighing yourself in the morning on an empty stomach is vital because If you weigh yourself throughout the day you will have various weight discrepancies that will discourage you. Oh and try cutting your portions in half and eating more regularly to jump start your metabolism. Good luck! Stick in there 4 inches is just the beginning if you don't give up.

yep logging everything is key.. especially oil and fats that may not seem like alot... 1g of fat = 9cal whereas 1g or protein or carb = 4cal
    and yes thats true.. due to the amount of fluids or food you've taken in varies throughout the day and from the next.

but one thing i should add is... you really cant control your BASAL metabolism.. it doesnt matter if you have 1 2 3 4 5 6 or 100 meals a day.. at the end it will just be down to the net caloric intake. spreading your meals may prevent snacking on high calories foods etc.
    also start weighing you food as much as you can so that when you eat away from home you can atleast eyeball the amount of rice/chicken etc etc u ate. or check to see if the food or something similar is within the app before you eat it?