HELP!! :(

so i just got the depo shot. and i heard this might cause some weight gain. this is literally stressing me out. i worked so hard to lose 70 pounds and so afraid this might mess up my weight loss on the long run :'( any advice?

Replies

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    It will NOT make you gain 70 pounds. It MIGHT make you gain 5 while you get used to it. Most people drop the weight after a month or so.

If you have more gain than that or if you don't drop down again, talk to your doctor.
  • pteryndactyl
    pteryndactyl Posts: 303 Member
    Well...it's in your system for the next ~3 months, so calm down and just try to deal with it as it comes. Numerous studies doubt whether BC actually *causes* weight gain, and I believe I've heard some people think the weight gain is more due to an increase in hunger than anything else. Count your calories, make smart choices, and you'll be fine. You're not going to ruin your progress in 3 months. If you don't like it in a month or two, start looking at other options :)
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Don't use that as an excuse. The shot may increase your appetite but ultimately you control what you put into your mouth.....eat more filling foods high in protein...fats and fiber.
  • skinnytayy
    skinnytayy Posts: 459
    I HIGHLY recommend getting onto a different birth control. I took depo 4 years ago and it screwed me up to no end. I went from 160 to 218 just being on depo for a year. I ate pretty well and was very active ... never had any major problems with my weight. Not only that but I have horrific sharp, stabbing pains "down there" once getting on it and I still have them to this day, just not as bad or frequent but they used to stop me dead in my tracks. Depo also caused major mood swings, irritability, migraines, etc. for me. Not to mention, the entire time I used it, I bled nonstop. So frustrating. I've heard it can also affect your fertility and I'm terrified it may have caused infertility in me. It can also cause loss of bone mineral density which increases the risk for osteoporosis. One other major thing was hair loss. I went from having very thick hair full of volume to brittle, super thin hair and still have it today even with a super healthy diet. If I run my hands through my hair, I pull out clumps all the time.

This isn't to scare you & I doubt everyone has this experience so you may be ok but its not worth the risk, IMO. Everyone I know who has used it has had the same problems, if not worse.
  • msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 638 Member
    Well...it's in your system for the next ~3 months, so calm down and just try to deal with it as it comes. Numerous studies doubt whether BC actually *causes* weight gain, and I believe I've heard some people think the weight gain is more due to an increase in hunger than anything else. Count your calories, make smart choices, and you'll be fine. You're not going to ruin your progress in 3 months. If you don't like it in a month or two, start looking at other options :)

Agree with this.

I don't think the shot itself causes the weight gain.. it probably makes your horomones all out of whack causing you to have more emotions or increases in hunger. If you're not carefully logging what you eat and make bad choices (out of emotion).. then the weight will pack on. If you continue what you've been doing to lose that 70lbs (eating healthy and exercising I'm guessing, as well as logging), then you won't have an issue. If you gain a few lbs, it could be water weight adjustment like anything else but don't let it freak you out! Great job on your weight loss so far!:drinker:

Also..not trying to offend anyone but I can count at least 5 friends who blamed their weight gain on the depo shot... when they swore up and down they "ate healthy" and exercised. However I saw what their definition of healthy was and it was definitely contributing to the weight gain.
  • RockstarPunch
    RockstarPunch Posts: 203 Member
    had a few close friends on it and they all gained a good 15-30lbs. plus one of them had to get on estrogen supplements because it messed up there hormones( that friend and another one both had trouble getting off of it because it messed up their cycle----they stopped having periods after the shot).

I guess just wait it out and work hard on the shot,increase food monitoring and exercise and if you decide to get off of it, make sure you get help from a doctor. you know your body, just be aware of any changes:flowerforyou: every body is different...just be intuned
  • My doctor said that it shouldn't be a problem if i continue doing what im doing. but i heard so many negative stories about the depo shot and thats whats freaking me out. and i had no other BC options *long story* but this is not gonna stop me. i will just work out harder, count my calories and increase my water intake by triple. i cant do nothing about it now since its in my system for the next 3 months. we will see how this goes :)
  • I HIGHLY recommend getting onto a different birth control. I took depo 4 years ago and it screwed me up to no end. I went from 160 to 218 just being on depo for a year. I ate pretty well and was very active ... never had any major problems with my weight. Not only that but I have horrific sharp, stabbing pains "down there" once getting on it and I still have them to this day, just not as bad or frequent but they used to stop me dead in my tracks. Depo also caused major mood swings, irritability, migraines, etc. for me. Not to mention, the entire time I used it, I bled nonstop. So frustrating. I've heard it can also affect your fertility and I'm terrified it may have caused infertility in me. It can also cause loss of bone mineral density which increases the risk for osteoporosis. One other major thing was hair loss. I went from having very thick hair full of volume to brittle, super thin hair and still have it today even with a super healthy diet. If I run my hands through my hair, I pull out clumps all the time.

This isn't to scare you & I doubt everyone has this experience so you may be ok but its not worth the risk, IMO. Everyone I know who has used it has had the same problems, if not worse.

I've been on the Depo shot for over a year. I started it after I gave birth so I haven't had a period in almost 2 years now. My hair is so thick that I have to book an extra appointment if I want my hair dresser to blow dry it, it takes so long. I am obese, but I am the same weight now that I was when I started the Depo. I love it.
  • kriskris92
    kriskris92 Posts: 190 Member
    Everyone reacts differently to birth control. Just because some people gain weight doesn't mean that everyone does. Keep tracking, eating healthy and exercising and see what happens.
  • jessmart83
    jessmart83 Posts: 283 Member
    I don't think Depo causes weight gain, might make you crave more food, but that is controlable. I have been on Depo for 4 years, it didn't make me gain weight (I did that myself eating out 2-3 times a day for 6 months straight). Just log your food and exercise, you should be good to go.
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    I find the pill makes me have more hunger and more cravings, so I assume the depo shot does the same. Just continue to count and drink a lot of water and drink lots of fibre filled foods to help with hunger :)

Lol you won't just gain 70lb, don't worry!
  • pbaker8307
    pbaker8307 Posts: 60 Member
    Just got a Depo shot today...I've been on it for 18 years...no crazy issues and it definitely did not cause my weight gain...putting food in my mouth and not moving did that.