Femcon Fe Birth Control (males may want to back away)

Options
MFPfriend
MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
Is anybody on this birth control? I just started 4 days ago. I was previously on Yaz (for about 8 months). I LOVED Yaz with all my heart. I had 4 day period, barely any cramps, no PMS, no cravings, and it got rid of my acne (for the most part). My gyno switched me off Yaz because it was shown to possibly cause blood clots and heart attacks (which, at age 20-and not smoking- I'm not worried about).

I'm not liking the Femcon. Right now, I have an appetite like no other. I'm seriously hungry ALL FREAKING DAY. I ate dinner, and I was hungry literally 20 minutes later. I ate a snack, and was hungry 10 minutes later. Also, I've turned into a raving b*tch! Seriously, normally I'm a pretty upbeat person, but now I spend all day in my room, and if someone does anything that slightly bothers me, I'm all up in their face. Another thing, I've got cramps so bad I can barely sit down.

From what I've read online, everyone seems to have these symptoms- even people that have been taking it for 2 years or more (because I know it can take a few months to adjust to the pill).

I'm going on foreign exchange/study abroad to Germany in August for an entire year. I do not want to have this problem while I'm there. Has anyone taken Femcon and had problems with it?
If my doctor will let me switch back to Yaz, I definitely will. I seriously was having a love affair with that birth control, haha.

Editing to add:
I just also want to add that I did not have this hunger problem on Yaz (not even in the lsightest). The hunger pains are really scaring me the most. Eating 1300 calories a day is feeling impossible.

Replies

• AnnieeR
    AnnieeR Posts: 229
    Options
    I'm on Depo Provera and I love it - one jab in the bum every 11-12 weeks and no period, no PMS, nothing!! They do say that weight gain could be a side effect, but I haven't noticed anything measureable....
  • Mookz0r
    Mookz0r Posts: 143
    Options
    I'm not on it, but it doesn't sound brilliant for you. There are loads of other Pills out there and there's be one that suits you better. Just talk to your Doctor about it.
  • MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I'm on Depo Provera and I love it - one jab in the bum every 11-12 weeks and no period, no PMS, nothing!! They do say that weight gain could be a side effect, but I haven't noticed anything measureable....

Hmm... no period at all? I actually do like my period (and I have no absolute idea why). Also, I don't think I want to visit a doctor while I'm in Germany (at least not if I don't have to).
  • griffswoman
    griffswoman Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Having not needed birth control for a while (sterilized) i am probably not the best person to comment. BUT this isnt right, and i would be seeking a second opinion, my daughter has the implant, which is a simple procedure, it fits neatly under the skin on your arm. No periods for 3 years and only side effects where she was a b**ch for about 4 weeks then it subsided. Now she doesnt even know its there and no worries about pregnancy that isnt wanted. 3 years time she goes back and has it removed and replaced if she wants to. It can also be removed at anytime too.
  • Sephs
    Sephs Posts: 9
    Options
    I'd go back to my doctor. If something's going well then there's no need to change it. I know here (UK), if I was to visit my doctor and tell him what you told us, he'd more than likely switch me back.

I'm on Brevinor, I have a love affair with my pill too!
  • AnnieeR
    AnnieeR Posts: 229
    Options

Hmm... no period at all? I actually do like my period (and I have no absolute idea why). Also, I don't think I want to visit a doctor while I'm in Germany (at least not if I don't have to).

Nope, no period. A bit of spotting just before the jab is due, but otherwise nothing - it's a bit like if you took your pills without the placebo week. I always really struggled with terrible PMS and had quite uncomfortable periods, so I'm thrilled to not have them, but I know some women like the reassurance of having one.

I don't know anything about health care in Germany - I'm in the UK and I know that if you were here and on a legitimate visa for a year you could register as a temporary patient and go in for a jab, but sounds as though pills are probably better for you!
  • sdkpac
    sdkpac Posts: 2
    Options
    You should tell your doctor that there is no more increased risk of blood clots with Yaz than any other hormonal birth control on the market. Ask her to show you the literature that proves Yaz has a higher risk. It doesn't exist!
  • kimmie0627
    kimmie0627 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I am currently on Depo. Love the no period. I started on depo and gained 40 lbs. Horror story right. Well after being on here and seeing my eating habit I know why, and it was not the shot. Like I said started on depo and then went to some pill form. Was on that for 4 years and could no longer take it. Tryed the ring (loved it) Got on the patch and got pregnant. Twice. So back to depo. I wanted merana but insurance would not pay for it.

I would go back to your doc and tell them what is going on. I would hate being on it.