43 years old woman, need help find the right exercise

Options
Here is Input :
43 yo woman
10 lb overweight
not trained, not toned

My daughter started insanity and I did it with her for a week, I could not do a lot of things, but I tried. Now I have some sharp pain in my back/spine, so I actually afraid to do more crazy exercise. I want something that is age appropriate and my fitness level appropriate. The goal is some weight loss, some toning.

I do not like exercise, I tried many things including Zumba, but never can stick to anything. I need something that I can do after work, something not very long.

I know it's a lot, but I really would like any advise.

TIA!

Replies

• squeakyfish
    squeakyfish Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I never would have thought I would like it, but it turns out that I love kettlebell. I take a class which I think is important because if your form is wrong, you can really hurt yourself. I burn 375-500 calories per 45 minute class and there's enough strength work built into the class that I'm really starting to feel stronger. I do it 2-3x/week now and afterwards I feel energized and strong.

Oh yea, and at 43, just about everything is age appropriate! I'm 41 and about the only thing I won't do is roller derby ;).
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Walking or riding a bike. I lost plenty of weight just by walking an hour at the local park. i got bored with it, though. You don't have to kill yourself for the exercise to make a difference.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    Any exercise appropriate for a 24 year old, is also appropriate for a 43 year old. You are young!
    Anyways, experiment and see what you like: biking, swimming, walking running. There's got to be something you'll enjoy. I highly recommend weightlifting.
    And don't get discouraged if you don't do great when you just start a routine. Just like anyone else you need time to adjust(and learn to love it) Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • heathermcclellan
    Options
    I'm 47 and in pretty good shape, but I did not get there overnight. It takes time, patience and above all commitment. I belong to our local Y and go at least 4 days a week. Right now I'm shooting for 6. I rarely do classes. I just go and spend about 30-45 minutes doing some type of cardio. Today I walked/ran on a treadmil. Other days I will use the elliptical or ride a bike or do a stairclimber. What helps is almost all these machines have TV's so I can be entertained while working out. A year ago I hired a personal trainer and had her teach me some weightlifting routines, which I still do to this day. The most important thing is to listen to your body. If something hurts, don't do it. However, you should be working hard enough that you are breathing deeply and even though you could talk, you would prefer not to. Just like the commercial for Nike - "Just do it!"
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to a gym?
  • loislenski
    loislenski Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I would suggest the T-Tapp 15 minute workout. Pluses are that it is only fifteen minutes and it really helps with "toning" your body.
  • schaskes
    schaskes Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I am 43, and I had never liked exercise or been in any shape whatsoever until I started on MFP last July. I want to echo the suggestion for some sessions with a personal trainer in order to learn some strength training. If you have any friends who have a good, reliable trainer, it is worth it to have someone show you how to work out on your own. I did 6 sessions and have been continuing ever since. I also like Wii Just Dance...the songs make me laugh! Good luck! You can do it!
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    I am in my (almost) mid thirties. I am stronger now than I was in my teens and twenties. I think its so important to keep trying till you find something you "sort of" like, then over time you might grow to love it. Thats what happened to me. I am so thankful I have fallen in love with weight lifting!
  • lilibetnix
    lilibetnix Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I don't know if anyone can tell you what exercise routine is for you. I think it has to be something you enjoy. I LOVE dancing, but not everyone does. Ballroom? racquetball? going for walks? Just try it all. I think another thing that helps me be consistent is to focus on the feeling I have after I've exercised. It sounds weird, but it helps to associate feeling good with exercise since it so often has a negative stigma. If you can get a hold of the book Intuitive Eating, it has an excellent chapter on physical fitness.
  • Drifter2271
    Drifter2271 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you have a WII try WII Fit Plus. It's got a variety of activities and they are all short amounts of time.
  • godsgrl33
    godsgrl33 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I've never done it, but that Slim in 6 looks like it's pretty low-impact, and also helps you tone up your muscles as well.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Weight-training to combat osteoporosis and increase your ability to lead a fully functional and independent quality of life as you age. You can supplement that with whatever else you want.
  • MumOfADuo
    MumOfADuo Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I am 51 and still about 60 pounds overweight and there really isnt a whole lot I wont try.....if you have TRUE medical issues, than pay attention to your body.....but also dont be afraid to try new things if your body can handle it...YOU know your body and its aches and pains better than anyone......I am lucky that I have no pain...I let my fear of failure stop me from doing stuff tho!!!!!
  • lilibetnix
    lilibetnix Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    If you have a WII try WII Fit Plus. It's got a variety of activities and they are all short amounts of time.

I totally agree. I have the xbox kinect and I LOVE the dance games and the sports games. It's nice because I can pick the duration and I don't have to leave my house to do it. :)
  • NewCaddy
    NewCaddy Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I think you can do anything, but not right away. I'm 100 pounds overweight and I can do Zumba and 30DS etc. But I didn't start with those. Start by working up to it. Someone else mentioned 30-45 minutes on a treadmill (I personally like the elliptical as I burn more calories). If you want classes, try water aerobics. I have two at my local Y that are good all over workouts -- I burned 359 yesterday in an hour and the water is really good for joints. Some others that I think are do-able to start with are the Leslie Sansone walking DVDs -- you can find some on You Tube. You'll be surprised at how quickly you can move on to more challenging workouts.
  • violval11
    violval11 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for great advices. I do have access to the gym, I have membership, I live by the park, so I have no excuse, but I tried these all before. I start doing things and then I find hundred excuses not to do it anymore. I tried many different things, I honestly wanted to find something I will like, so far unsuccessful. I do have WII Fit and Fit Plus, I'll give it a try. I also bought Active for Wii a year or two ago. So I am not sure what I actually want :) I just know that I need to exercise if I want to age gracefully :) My only exercise is walk during lunch time in mid town Manhattan :):wink:
  • jasgroup
    jasgroup Posts: 2
    Options
    If you have a treadmill, you could try that. Make sure you have some good music to listen to if you get bored easy like I do on mine. Also, with mine, I can play with the incline level. If you have that at your gym, or at home, increase the incline (walking slightly uphill). It burns way more calories depending how fast you walk. I often to intervals and walk at a moderate incline for 5 minutes, then move it up higher for 5 minutes, then back down. The idea is to trick your body so it doesn't get conditioned or used to what your doing---otherwise it will become easy and your body won't work as hard. If you have assess to a Total Gym for strength training, those are good too. Good luck!
  • violval11
    violval11 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks again for great ideas. I have decided to purchase treadmill. If I have it at home I am not going to have an excuse not to exercise. Will research web on the best and effective routine for treadmill, but if anyone has any words of advise please share.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Weight-training to combat osteoporosis and increase your ability to lead a fully functional and independent quality of life as you age. You can supplement that with whatever else you want.

^^^ This is the best answer IMO.
  • AbsyPernet
    AbsyPernet Posts: 145
    Options
    I am 43 and this is my third round of Insanity and I love it. I don't suggest you should go back to it now, but should do something that you enjoy, perhaps swimming or walking and then starting running etc. 30 days shred was what I started with before insanity, perhaps you can try that. And weight bearing exercises are important too. Good luck in your journey and take care :smile: