Quick question about when to eat...

Options
Sometimes my sleeping pattern is messed up so sometimes I eat, go to the gym and eat again when hungry. i think I'm doing it wrong... but when I don't go to the gym, i run. My question is, should I eat first or eat after? I run at night so I don't know if I should eat dinner first or not?

Thanks!

Replies

• clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    I always eat something small before working out (banana, granola bar etc) to make sure I have enough energy to fuel myself through it. I wait about 1/2 an hour before working out. Then afterwards I eat my meal (or a protein shake or peanut butter sandwich or something if it isn't a meal time or if I'm not that hungry). But I try to at least get some protein in after a workout.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    it's your call. can you run on a full stomach? can you run on an empty one? can you eat a meal after a run, and then fall asleep?

personally i know that if i go for a late work out, i can eat a meal about an hour afterwards. but between the endorphins from the exercise, the energy from the food, and whatever from my shower, i need a sleeping pill to knock me out, or else i'll be up all night.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    eat when you are hungry, Your body does not have a clock. Trust me I work a swing shift, I eat at CRAZY hours and they change constantly. I would not eat a big meal and go for a run though, you might get sick.
  • KatieJane10x
    KatieJane10x Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    All depends on how hungry you are!

I normally eat my meal after exercising as for me it's my treat after I'm done and I have something to look forward to.

But if you feel you need the energy from your meal, then go running an hour afterwards. Nothing worse then running on a full stomach. Or just try a snack before to boost your energy!