How many calories should I be eating?!?

Im 18 years old, 5'2, 111.6 lbs. Please note that I am NOT necessarily looking to lose weight, I just want to lower my body fat and replace it with lean muscle. Don't really know if it matters but I carry most my weight in my hips (bleh I honestly hate it!), measuring 32-25- 36.

Right now I eat from 1200-1500 calories, but I have no idea how many I should really be consuming. When I was a little younger I lived of unhealthy food, but I have definitely changed since then. My normal day to day life isn't overly active when not looking at my exercise regimen ( I usually have to sit for most the day ) but I LOVE exercise and am trying to find the right fitness plan for me.

Right now for exercise depending on the day I flip between any of the following. I always make sure to get in some sort of strength/calisthenics training though if I don't have time for cardio.
Running
Elliptical Training
Circuit Training
Intense Yoga Practice
Calisthenics

I just have noticed that my body isn't really changing all the much and I want to know what I need to do in order to make it happen.

Replies

• axgman
    axgman Posts: 9
    You need to determine your basal metabolic rate (BMR), which is basically the number of calories your body consumes through normal functions. There are a number of online tools (including one on myfitnesspal) that will help you calculate this number, but the basic formula is:

Basal Metabolic Rate
    Women: BMR = 655 + (4.35 x weight in pounds) + (4.7 x height in inches) - (4.7 x age in years)
    Men: BMR = 66 + (6.23 x weight in pounds) + (12.7 x height in inches) - (6.8 x age in years)

Once you have your BMR, you can calculate the Active Metabolic Rate (AMR). Your AMR represents the number of calories you need to stay at your current weight.

Calculate your AMR by using your BMR and estimating your current level of activity. If you are:

•Sedentary (little or no exercise) - your AMR = BMR x 1.2
    •Lightly active (light exercise/work 1-3 days per week) - your AMR = BMR x 1.375
    •Moderately active (moderate exercise/work 3-5 days per week) - your AMR = BMR x 1.55
    •Very active (hard exercise/work 6-7 days a week) - your AMR = BMR x 1.725
    •Extra active (very hard exercise/work 6-7 days a week) - your AMR = BMR x 1.9

If you want to lose weight, you need to increase your level of physical activity level or decrease your caloric intake by eating less. If you reduce your current caloric intake by 500 calories every day, you will lose about one pound each week.

An old sedentary dude like me has a BMR of 1677. So my AMR is 1677*1.2 = 2012.
    So, in theory, 2012 calories per day is where I break even. Based on experience, I know it is really closer to 1800 calories for me. Don't freak out if you go over on a given day - it's the average that counts - and you can always offset the overage by increasing activity.

To cut body fat, pay attention to where your calories come from. Restrict carbs to 20% of your calories, increase protein to 50% and try to keep fats to 30% or less. Good luck! :smile:
  • Thank you so much! It's frustrating because I read about people under eating then never losing weight and it makes me scared!!
  • axgman
    axgman Posts: 9
    That's why the ratios - where you are getting your calories - is so important. Just cutting calories can put you into starvation mode, where your body lays down extra fat because it thinks it is not getting enough. By feeding yourself protein and restricting carbs, the body is getting the fuel it needs without stimulating an insulin response, which converts sugar to fat. Eating a little fat doesn't stimulate the insulin response much , and helps you feel full. Also, get your carbs from fresh vegetables, avoid fast carbs like breads, grains, and starches like potatoes and rice. Good luck!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Eating too low of calories isn't going to get you a tight, firm body (i.e. lower your body fat). At 18 years old, you shouldn't be eating only 1200 calories - that is WAY too low. You will keep losing weight.

If you want to lower your body fat (you can't replace fat with muscle, but you can slowly build muscle over time) you need to eat more and lift weights. More cardio isn't the answer...you'll just continue to burn muscle.

I'm around your weight and height but I eat 1600-1800 on a typical day (and I'm a lot older than you!), and I lift weights 3-4 times a week. The only cardio I do is 2 sessions of 15 minutes of HIIT per week. I have lowered my body fat slowly over time, and now it is around 17%. I still fit in the same clothes at 110 pounds that I did when I was 100 pounds.

Hope this helps! Eat more!