Ermahgerd!! Heaviest I've EVER been!

Options

Replies

• tamrod2
    tamrod2 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Well you have come to the right place..great people and lots of support:flowerforyou: Please feel free to add me as a friend.
  • lrr33
    lrr33 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    good luck on your new found journey. you are going to love it here. add me!
  • valeriewxy
    valeriewxy Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Love your self-intro XD It put a smile on my face, and that's hard to do when I'm at work on a Tuesday morning ;) Will send a friend request XD
  • KneeRescuer
    KneeRescuer Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your warm welcomes.

I can see that a lot of my time is going to be spent on here... I do a lot of cooking and baking so this will be a good distraction. My poor kids will just have to starve.

I have been having a few medical problems lately and have had to have many doctor and hospital appointments. My doctor at the hospital is in awe at how obese I am. He must have told me at least 5 times that I was obese. How clever is he? No wonder he went on to be a doctor! A 50 year old, size 24 woman walked into his office and he KNEW! He just KNEW!

Anyway, off to find a nice recipe for tonight that will make short work of my allotted 500 calories....

Just had a thought ... how often should I weigh myself? I know it probably should be weekly and I will probably say yes, I will weigh myself weekly, then weigh myself every day so I don't know why I am asking actually.

Another question. How did you get into the swing of things? I am thinking of shopping daily for the things I need rather than bulk shopping as it just seems too much to get my head around at the moment. What way do you do it?
  • sarahnull07
    sarahnull07 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    welcome, feel free to add me anyone and everyone
  • reyna112010
    reyna112010 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Welcome!!!! This app is amazing! I had it For a while never really used it but now I'm giving it my all.feel free to add me!
  • togmo
    togmo Posts: 257
    Options
    It is never easy starting out but bit by bit you will discover the recipes you make that are healthy/ier than those that you generally make that are unhealthy/ier. Just try and make more of the healthy ones. I have found the simple things like cutting back on soft drinks, chocolates, chips and fast foods helps a lot and cutting back on alcohol has helped me too.

With time you will figure it all out, the main thing is you have signed up here and you have started, most importantly this shows that you are committed to doing something about your weight. Also don't go crazy trying to lose too much too quick if you think you will struggle, shows like the biggest loser may inspire some people but the methods employed in these sorts of shows aren't for everyone. Better to lose weight slower but be losing weight than throwing in the towel...
  • togmo
    togmo Posts: 257
    Options
    Also don't be discouraged by the scales. I have found that my body weight varies by more than I plan to lose week to week so that even after a hard week of dieting I weigh more than I did the previous week. Just remember the long term goal you have set and don't be discouraged by short term failures, whether that be the scales failing on you and telling you that you are heavier when you know you should be lighter or that naughty day that you ate more than you had planned...
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I stumbled upon MFP at the end of December when I had reached the same point as you...in fact, pretty similar weight, too. Since joining Dec. 31, I've lost 28 pounds. Many more to go, but it's come off more easilyso far than I'd dreamed. I'm now below 200, able to throw away my old pants (saving one to always measure how far I've come) and feeling much stronger and more energetic.

The support and tips from friends has been a huge help, and for the first time I actually like keeping a food diary!

All good wishes on your new voyage....feel free to add me as a friend.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    My doctor at the hospital is in awe at how obese I am. He must have told me at least 5 times that I was obese. How clever is he? No wonder he went on to be a doctor! A 50 year old, size 24 woman walked into his office and he KNEW! He just KNEW!

Nothing gets by him does it? My doctor barely mentioned my weight and I was a way bigger size. But, he did say I need to exercise and take Vitamin D. I think I would find a different doctor if I found one so rude. If you have health concerns that need to be addressed then it's appropriate for example if you are pre-diabetic then that has to be addressed and it's appropriate. But, just talking about your weight with no plan or addressing other issues is just rude and probably malpractice if some health concerns aren't addressed. It's almost as if he thinks that if you were smaller you would have no health issues and that to me just don't seem right.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    As I always mention to new guys, get a good calculation of your daily max instead of taking MFP's default setting.
    http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/
  • HikeThatMountain
    Options
    Hi Whoah, feel free to send me a friend request.

I certainly understand the shock of seeing the actual calorie count of what you're eating, Did that 10 days ago when I joined up :)

Though I only joined here ten days ago, I have been working on the weight for years and years now, have lost 40 through the about last year and a half, before I found this site, which so far, seems to make it easier to understand where I had been going wrong and the support from everyone is great!

I would advise only weighing once a week because water weight gain (which can be pretty up-there sometimes) can really discourage you on a day-to-day basis and your weight would be more accurately gauged by weighing before breakfast on the same day every week.

Also, if you can shop day by day, would probably also be a help, especially because a lot of thinks that can keep stored in the cubboard are highly refined and chock full of refined sugar, salt and fat (the bad kinds).

Good luck, I think we both landed in a great place to work off our weight....
  • KneeRescuer
    Options
    My doctor at the hospital is in awe at how obese I am. He must have told me at least 5 times that I was obese. How clever is he? No wonder he went on to be a doctor! A 50 year old, size 24 woman walked into his office and he KNEW! He just KNEW!

Nothing gets by him does it? My doctor barely mentioned my weight and I was a way bigger size. But, he did say I need to exercise and take Vitamin D. I think I would find a different doctor if I found one so rude. If you have health concerns that need to be addressed then it's appropriate for example if you are pre-diabetic then that has to be addressed and it's appropriate. But, just talking about your weight with no plan or addressing other issues is just rude and probably malpractice if some health concerns aren't addressed. It's almost as if he thinks that if you were smaller you would have no health issues and that to me just don't seem right.

Yes, he was a bit of an ignorant, cheeky B. I have no real choice with this doctor because he is the Professor of Gyneacology at my hospital. God himself of lady parts. I don't think he likes large ladies. Doesn't matter to me really but to someone thinner skinned (no pun intended), it might be hurtful.
  • nekoface
    nekoface Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Welcome! It was freaky the first time I saw the calorie count for my daily coffee!
  • sylv1979
    sylv1979 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hey Scottish Australian Person haha. I'm Scottish myself :)

Found this site 5 wks ago and logging food is a real eye opener and definitely the way forward for me. I am now officially addicted to this site, the recipes, the funny posts, the lot!

Good luck. Feel free to add me.

Oh and I weigh in a Monday morning, works for me. Been taking measurement too and progress pics so hope nobody nicks my phone, they will get a wee surprise haha x
  • mgrabuski
    mgrabuski Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Welcome to myfitnesspal! I've reached that point too where I need to do something and have health issues. Need to get my weight off. I didn't do well last week so I need to get focused again. I've tried WW too, but isn't it nice that you can spend the money you would've spent there on good foods and get MFP for free? Glad you signed up and good luck!
  • sgtlee13
    sgtlee13 Posts: 66
    Options
    Welcome! I'm relatively new on here too and love it so far! Lots of motivated people who really get behind you and give you a little boost!
    Feel free to add me and good luck!!!
  • KneeRescuer
    Options
    Hey Scottish Australian Person haha. I'm Scottish myself :)

Found this site 5 wks ago and logging food is a real eye opener and definitely the way forward for me. I am now officially addicted to this site, the recipes, the funny posts, the lot!

Good luck. Feel free to add me.

Oh and I weigh in a Monday morning, works for me. Been taking measurement too and progress pics so hope nobody nicks my phone, they will get a wee surprise haha x

Ha ha! whereyefae?
  • meglynne1987
    meglynne1987 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    MFP is the best thing that ever happened to me.
    All it takes is determination and logging everything. Best of all it is free and you will get all of the support you need!