WHY DOES MFP calculate what you will be in 5 weeks ?

Options
WHY DOES MFP calculate what you will be in 5 weeks if you continue to eat as you are?
It has not worked for me.
Just curious has it worked for anyone else has the weight gone down in 5 weeks if you have continued to eat as per se.

Replies

• jadethief
    jadethief Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    It's just an estimate based on the math.
  • prudism
    prudism Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    yes but has anyone come close too loosing what it tells you for example I weigh 81 kilos it tells me if i continue to eat as i am it will be 76 kilos estimated
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I've been losing more than they estimate. That's what it is an estimate it's just a guide to give you some encouragement to wait you may lose.
  • SwampWitch75
    SwampWitch75 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    So far I've been losing more than the estimate as well. It's just an estimate. I wouldn't put too much stock into it.
  • MissMormie
    MissMormie Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I've not come close to the estimate myself, but have lost weight.

I guess the real reason for showing that is so you can focus on the big picture. Eating healthy for a day might give you 0.1 lbs off. Wow. Not! But by see at the end of the day that all those little bits per day add up over 5 weeks time, well, that's motivation to keep going.
  • twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    it's worse gaining weight it said i'd weigh 90kgs in 5 weeks if i carry on eating 4000+ calories a day.... that was 3 months ago lol and i'm only 86 now :S
  • LadyPakal
    LadyPakal Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    It's generally right for me - I've been recording it for months now and cross checking.
    All depends on how I ate on the day - if I had a day where I go over then it gives a wrong (weight too high) 5 week result. On days where I'm on track it is giving me a reasonable 5 week loss value.
  • prudism
    prudism Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    great i think i will stick to this amount for 5 weeks and see if I loose
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    yes but has anyone come close too loosing what it tells you for example I weigh 81 kilos it tells me if i continue to eat as i am it will be 76 kilos estimated

Because if you exercised that way and ate exactly that every day for 5 weeks then you probably will weigh that much. But keep in mind it doesn't take into account the way -your- body works, so really the number is useless and is only there for encouragement purposes.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Meh and I thought this would be about why it's 5 weeks instead of say 4.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    It's just an estimate, as everything is an estimate. The only way you learn about yourself is through observation of the effect of your eating and exercise habits.

I don't usually get the message because I don't close out my day. But when I do and it predicts a weight gain, I use it to goad myself.
  • mumtoonegirl
    mumtoonegirl Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    it depends honestly where you are in your weightloss journey. I am only 10lbs away from my end goal of almost 80lbs down. Right now I won't hit the place they say I will be in 5 weeks. The last 10lbs are the hardest to get off.
  • MissMormie
    MissMormie Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Meh and I thought this would be about why it's 5 weeks instead of say 4.

Because it is?

I doubt there's a really well thought out reason for it rather than the person thinking up this feature figuring that 5 weeks was a good time span.
  • Rigi8
    Rigi8 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Don't take too much stock by this - it hasn't worked for me. It is just a guide and gives you hope.
  • RawCarrots
    RawCarrots Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    There could be few reasons why you are not getting the exact result as the predicted: you may not be eating the exact calories as that day every of the other days of the five weeks, or you could be overestimating calories burned from exercise or underestimating the ones from food.

The way it works is (I presume! that's the way I'd do it if I was doing the app) it checks what is your calorie deficit for the day, multiplies that by 35 (five weeks), and then converts the total calorie shortage into predicted pounds lost.
    For example, if I need 2000 to maintain but I log 1500 one day I'm 500 in deficit for the day. I'm 3500 in predicted deficit over the week, which will mean I'd lose a pound, so for 5 weeks it will predict 5 pounds loss. If I have my weight as 180lb it will tell me that based on that day I'd be 175 in five weeks :-)
    If the next day I eat only 1000 calories it will tell me that I'll be 170 in five weeks.

If your calories vary every day it won't be very accurate prediction as there will be big fluctuations from day to day. I also have no clue how metabolism is taken into account (do you always loose a pound of weight if you are 3500cal short? how much fat, how much muscle?)

I use it as a fun estimation to keep me going. I'd sometimes log that cake before I eat it and hit the button, often I don't want to eat it afterwards :-)

Not sure if this is any clearer
  • jess6741
    jess6741 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    That was a lot more accurate when I had more to lose. Now that I only have the last few pounds to go, it is really off.
  • kjfriye
    kjfriye Posts: 1
    Options
    But why does it continue to say 5 weeks??? I have lost and keep losing but it has been telling me I will be at my goal in 5 weeks for about 3 weeks now and never lowers the number of weeks!
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Its supposed to be encouraging...telling you where you'll be if you keep up your good work. Not very accurate though...and seems to confuse a lot of people. Its not a prediction...its an estimate based on the mathematics of how you did today.
  • crlyxx
    crlyxx Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I actually wish it wasn't set at 5 weeks. How about next week instead? xD
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    It says if every day were like today, so if you eat exactly the same and exercise exactly the same you will weigh ? in 5 weeks. It's pretty stupid if you ask me. It might motivate some but for me it's the opposite.