food to make you fuller longer?

Options
Is there any foods that make you feel fuller longer, I'm always going over my calorie count, Im always hungry lol. I'm 5'7 and weigh 114 please help!:happy:

Replies

• NakedLunchTime
    Options
    Look up foods that are high in protein and see what you like! There are tons of options for on the go too!
  • learnerdriver
    learnerdriver Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    porridge
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    For me it is eggs and vegetables. Like a veggie omelet with cheese. I think it is probably different for everyone.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Foods that are high in protein and healthy fats. Chicken, salmon, eggs, avocado, etc.
  • jamjo93
    jamjo93 Posts: 6
    Options
    You need food with lots of fiber not protein. Oats, vegetables, fruits, legumes. Also if you're eating foods such as rice, pasta and bread eat the brown variety as they always have higher fiber content and will defiantly keep you full.
  • irish_angel
    Options
    Sounds like I need to take a trip to the grocery store, I'm a mom of 2 so on.the go healthy, filling snacks are important
  • jamjo93
    Options
    Sounds like I need to take a trip to the grocery store, I'm a mom of 2 so on.the go healthy, filling snacks are important
    Making a batch of oat bars with fruit and maybe some nuts for some healthy fats is a good idea and very easy to make :)
  • NakedLunchTime
    Options
    You need food with lots of fiber not protein. Oats, vegetables, fruits, legumes. Also if you're eating foods such as rice, pasta and bread eat the brown variety as they always have higher fiber content and will defiantly keep you full.

This is not fully true, Actually, having a nice combination of both would be good. However, it is personal. Some people will claim protein keeps them full longer while other people will say fiber.

For me, it is protein.

OP, I say try a few different combos and see what works the best! Good luck!
  • DaniellBBFitness
    Options
    Shakeology! :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Fat, fiber, and protein.
  • jamjo93
    Options

This is not fully true, Actually, having a nice combination of both would be good. However, it is personal. Some people will claim protein keeps them full longer while other people will say fiber.

For me, it is protein.

Of course a variety of carbs, protein and fiber is essential but that's not what we're speaking of. Unless more protein is required in the diet then fiber would be better to increase. Also since she has said her calorie count is going over it'll be alot easier and beneficial to eat more/added vegetables such as broccoli rather than high protein foods into the diet that will also add substantial calories. :smile:
  • NakedLunchTime
    Options

For me, it is protein.

Of course a variety of carbs, protein and fiber is essential but that's not what we're speaking of. Unless more protein is required in the diet then fiber would be better to increase. Also since she has said her calorie count is going over it'll be alot easier and beneficial to eat more/added vegetables such as broccoli rather than high protein foods into the diet that will also add substantial calories. :smile:

Whatever you say....:)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options

I'll agree with you that it's better to go with the whole grain carbs but I totally disagree with you on fiber over protein. Protein and healthy fats take longer to digest and process and therefore keep you full longer. This is actually why it's best to avoid protein and fats when you're sick to your stomach - they're too hard to process when your system is in a fragile state.

There are plenty of people, like myself, who can eat fiber all day long and never be full, it's just the way our systems work. The only way I can stave off hunger is to eat more protein and most from a natural source. Remember, we're all different, there are no absolute statements.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Fats help me. Fats and protein together: priceless.
  • jamjo93
    Options
    If a meal consists of 500 calories and I added 100g chicken to try and make me feel 'full' this would add 170 calories (estimate)
    If I was to add 100g broccoli it's about 40 calories.
    So to finish you would need to eat over 400g of broccoli to get close to the same amount of chicken calorie wise. Please don't tell me 400g of broccoli would not fill you up.

Also just to add, there is way more nutrients and just more benefits from adding more vegetables into your diet over some chicken.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    For me it is eggs and vegetables. Like a veggie omelet with cheese. I think it is probably different for everyone.

Yep that's true. Add some sausage or bacon to that omelet, and I'll be full for hours. Just the eggs and veggies? Um, hungry again in about two hours, if I get full at all.
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes
  • sblake204
    sblake204 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    any slow digesting protein should work:
    Heavy Whipping cream, yogurt, casein, Fish, or adding fish oil to your last meal
    Natural peanut butter may help as well!
  • bluecrush1203
    bluecrush1203 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    For me it's Greek yogurt, fruit and nuts like almonds. Eating those things throughout the day keeps me full until dinner and uses way fewer calories than the frozen Lean Cuisine meals I used to eat for lunch.
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Her BMi isn't in the anorexic category and your making assumptions because she's underweight she's unhealthy. Just not necessary is all.