Anyone else suffer from plantar fasciitis???

Options

Replies

• I got those fancy expensive insoles that they make just for my feet. They work really well. My heels get sore sometimes and I have to wear shoes on hard surfaces all the time.
  • Cuna77
    Cuna77 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Bump 4 later.
  • jkirk0525
    Options
    I have a LOT of clients with PF (I'm a massage therapist). In addition to most everything everyone else has listed here, I would recommend foot massage to keep the plantar muscles looser. I would absolutely recommend investing in one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Relax-Body-Porcupine-Massager-reflexology/dp/B0063MRFA2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1365503253&sr=8-2&keywords=reflexology+roller

Use once or twice a day and also freeze a bottle of water and roll your foot on that to take down any inflammation. It will help TONS. I alternate the roller and the frozen water bottle when mine starts to flare up and it really really helps and has kept me out of having to have surgery. Good luck!
  • sarahf3092
    sarahf3092 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I have it from last 2 years in my right foot. I stopped jogging due to this which caused weight gain. Since January 2013 i have started to run again and now i run 5 mile a day. Pain is there when i start running every morning but it goes away after 1 mile. In the end i do lot of stretching followed by rolling my foot over frozen water bottle and massage. I have also started using night splint which has helped a lot. I also avoid walking barefoot and wear silicon heal caps in shoes.
    Lost 16 pound and it seems that things are improving with weight loss.

Good to hear that you are now having some progress with this and its manageable
  • sarahf3092
    Options
    I have had plantar faciitis - knowing when you get out of bed in the morning you are going to have pain stabbing up your legs is so horrible!

Things I did
    Good supportive shoes
    Rested - to get exercise I used stationary bike
    Before I got out of bed, whilst muscles still warm and relaxed do leg stretches, including tipping toes towards knees, relax, repeat.
    Sitting on chair, put a tea towel on the floor, with bare feet, put your foot on the floor at the edge of the tea towel and try and "crunch" the tea towel towards you
    Hot pack to the foot, then apply ibobrufen gel to the painful areas
    Lost weight!!

It will get better eventually.
    PS I wouldn't let anyone near me with a knife!!

Thanks thats some really good tips there! I wasn't prepared for the pain this morning - its awful when you dont fully expect it too!
  • sarahf3092
    Options
    I have a LOT of clients with PF (I'm a massage therapist). In addition to most everything everyone else has listed here, I would recommend foot massage to keep the plantar muscles looser. I would absolutely recommend investing in one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Relax-Body-Porcupine-Massager-reflexology/dp/B0063MRFA2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1365503253&sr=8-2&keywords=reflexology+roller

Use once or twice a day and also freeze a bottle of water and roll your foot on that to take down any inflammation. It will help TONS. I alternate the roller and the frozen water bottle when mine starts to flare up and it really really helps and has kept me out of having to have surgery. Good luck!

Thanks - nice to also have an input from someone who helps people with this injury. Looks like an interesting implement there - reasonable enough to try out as well!

Thanks so much! :)
  • dolphins10
    dolphins10 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I suffered from PF last Novmeber when I took on daily walking after purchasing FITBIT. One day I walked 10 miles just to get a 10 mile FITBIT BADGE, that walk killed my feet in a bad way. I was in agony with pain, I could hardly sleep at night. Following morning I went to see my doctor and on advice, I gave up walking for few weeks in order to allow time for the damage tissues in my feet to repair. I also invested in a good pair of walking boots. I do feel bit sore every now and then but nothing like the pain I experienced back in Nomeber. Now I walk 4-5 miles daily, so far so good! Let your body tell you when it's had enough!
  • massage_gal
    massage_gal Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'm an orthopedic/sports massage therapist, and I treat PF all the time. It's a matter of stretching and massaging your deep top calf muscles. Look up the soleus, it is the muscle beneath the gastrocnemius, right in the center (below a few inches) in the back of the knee. It'll be very sore. And stretch your toes up, PF can be caused by sleeping with your toes stretched down all night under tucked covers. You might find relief from those boots that you wear at night that keep your toes up.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,355 Member
    Options
    I have been a martyr to my feet for years. I had to always buy shoes with room for othotics, not pretty, and could not wear sandals in summer. Since I lost weight and have been exercising and stretching they are so much better. Rest it for now and go swimming and stationary cycling. Then do the thing with the frozen bottle and look up how to stretch those calf muscles. Sounds mad but it's vital. I also every day do arch exercises religiously, again on the net, and can now walk around the house rising onto my balls, something I have not been able to do for 25 years. I think the cross trainer has also helped as you have to roll your feet so it strengthens them. I do ankle exercises also and a lot of balancing (standing on one leg in yoga poses ) All these things take time, but not so long ago I was barely able to walk. Now all I have left is a slightly dodgy hip!
  • MsBobLoblaw
    MsBobLoblaw Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Ouch! I got a moderate case of PF last year when I put off buying a new pair of running shoes and continued using my old ones which were worn out. Huge mistake! I had to cut out all my running and could barely hobble around for a couple months. Once the pain went away, I got fitted with a new pair of running shoes, and my feet have been fine since. Lesson learned!!! Now I track the mileage on my shoes and will definitely not put off replacing them next time!

Good luck to you!
  • Zepplipop
    Zepplipop Posts: 33
    Options
    I have it in both feet, bursitis in my left foot and a heel spur in my left foot. I can barely walk sometimes because my feet hurt all the time. But I'm pretty tough I just take some ibuprofen and keep going! So far the only treatment I've received is steroid shots and night splints. Hoping it just goes away.

Edited to add-- I also hope losing my weight will help too.
  • sarahf3092
    Options
    Yeah ill definately look up the massage and stretching techniques - definately worth a shot at the simpler things initally. Hopefully it will help it before it gets even worse.

Thanks for all the support everyone :)
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I already had good quality shoes, so I am wearing TWO inserts in my shoes now. One is a general full foot insert for people who exercise or on their feet a lot, and the other is a heel only insert for plantars.

I hate to go around with shoes at home, so I grabbed these from the store: http://www.asseenontv.com/strutz-cushioned-arch-supports/detail.php?p=371775

I got everything I needed from Walgreens. My foot pain is practically gone, and when it is there, it is nothing compared to what it was so I can deal. Going pure barefoot is a big no no. Any time I try to do that, I hurt and quickly. I will wear the strutz all the way up until when I get in the shower.
  • Cderziotis
    Options
    I had it in my left foot, spoke to my podiatrist and received platelet rich plasma therapy (PRP) it was a simple procedure where they remove the plasma from your blood and inject it into your foot: you are off your feet for a few days. it does take a few months to have your own platelets regenerate and heal yourself but I haven't had issues in years. I suggest you speak to your doctor and ask him about PRP and search online, there is a lot of info out there. good luck.
  • Christina9388
    Options
    I used to suffer from plantar fasciitis also and I found that spinning/cycling was the only exercise that I could do without causing pain (like running or walking). I've been spinning for a year and a half and have not had any flare ups since. If you're looking to be active without the foot pain, I suggest taking a spinning class or going outside for some cycling. Good luck!
  • ALBY777
    ALBY777 Posts: 2
    Options
    Yes I had it a while ago. It was excruciating first thing in the morning. Thankfully the pain subsided during the course of the day. It has gone now but can come back I am told.
  • Docpremie
    Docpremie Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I was having a severe problem with plantar fasciitis a few years ago. I tried the Orthaheel brand of flip-flops & they made a world of difference. They really fit your arch (I have high arches), so they support the arch & keep the tendons stretched. I've had a terrible time finding tennis shoes for a variety of reasons. I've tried all the major brands. When I started exercising again, my heels started to throb. I checked out the Orthaheel website & they now make sandals & tennis shoes. I got my tennis shoes 3-4 weeks ago & no more heel pain whatsoever! If you check out their website, they will also give you the names of local businesses that carry their shoes. Luckily I found a local small family owned business which sells really high quality shoes. I was able to be fitted for the tennis shoes. Since the Orthaheel shoes/company was started by a podiatrist, I find I need a smaller size than most of the current trendy shoes. They are truly made to fit your feet & have appropriate support everywhere. They also have a wider/appropriate foot box, so I don't have problems with irritation & numbing of my fore foot.

I highly recommend the brand!!! I wear Alegria shoes for work, as I'm standing a lot (I'm a neonatologist, newborn intensive care physician, and work 26-28 hour shifts.)

http://www.orthaheelusa.com

By the way, when you first get them, don't wear them for long stretches the first few days. Your feet need to adapt to the shoes & vice versa. You should "break them in" over the course of a few days. The enclosed pamphlet that comes with the shoes gives instructions about initial wearing.
  • marylou1976
    marylou1976 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I have it, have had it for about 3 years, I've had the steriod injections, also a treatment called shock wave therapy, both worked for a while then it came back! I am currently seeing a orthapedist and I have inserts for my shoes, they are brilliant, I still have pain but nothing like before. I have fallen arches. I am also a sports therapist and the exercises advised by other people that have replied are good. I have the website for the place I got my insoles at home, I will email it to you. And as for getting running shoes and getting your gait analised etc, running shoes are for running, only buy running shoes if you intend to run, you need a good pair of walking shoes/trainers with good heel support. My orthapedist told me it is pointless getting your gait analised as if that is the way your feet/body leans then it is the way it should be, he said unless you are an elitle althelete it makes no difference at all
  • sarahf3092
    Options
    I have it, have had it for about 3 years, I've had the steriod injections, also a treatment called shock wave therapy, both worked for a while then it came back! I am currently seeing a orthapedist and I have inserts for my shoes, they are brilliant, I still have pain but nothing like before. I have fallen arches. I am also a sports therapist and the exercises advised by other people that have replied are good. I have the website for the place I got my insoles at home, I will email it to you. And as for getting running shoes and getting your gait analised etc, running shoes are for running, only buy running shoes if you intend to run, you need a good pair of walking shoes/trainers with good heel support. My orthapedist told me it is pointless getting your gait analised as if that is the way your feet/body leans then it is the way it should be, he said unless you are an elitle althelete it makes no difference at all

Thanks will definately take this advice on board. I'm not really a runner no, more gym classes / dance / attack etc and then just the usual day to day routine and walking. Would be good if you could send the website - worth a look at what others are usuing/wearing!
  • sarahf3092
    Options
    I had it in my left foot, spoke to my podiatrist and received platelet rich plasma therapy (PRP) it was a simple procedure where they remove the plasma from your blood and inject it into your foot: you are off your feet for a few days. it does take a few months to have your own platelets regenerate and heal yourself but I haven't had issues in years. I suggest you speak to your doctor and ask him about PRP and search online, there is a lot of info out there. good luck.

Never heard of this before! Will have a google and read up about it - definately worth questioning doctors on.