Did I overdo it or is this normal?

Options
teamAmelia
teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
I can still feel my workout from Saturday, but it's not painful anymore. Sunday morning when I woke up, I could barely move my arms. Later in the day, I could barely walk and made the mistake of walking downstairs. Monday, shoulders were still sore. Today, my abs are still a little tender. I did an hour of Nike Training Club on Saturday, which is activities with 5-lb weights, then I did an hour of BodyCombat, which is various martial arts routines, including kickboxing and karate. Did I overdo it or was my body just not used to that much activity, or is it normal to take 2 days to recover?

Replies

• schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I can still feel my workout from Saturday, but it's not painful anymore. Sunday morning when I woke up, I could barely move my arms. Later in the day, I could barely walk and made the mistake of walking downstairs. Monday, shoulders were still sore. Today, my abs are still a little tender. I did an hour of Nike Training Club on Saturday, which is activities with 5-lb weights, then I did an hour of BodyCombat, which is various martial arts routines, including kickboxing and karate. Did I overdo it or was my body just not used to that much activity, or is it normal to take 2 days to recover?

Just not used to it :) body combat hurts the first few weeks of doing it! My arms and bum are killing from the class last night :)
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Depends. Was this the first time you'd done those exercises? How fit are you?
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I guess the 1st two answered my questions. Yes, it's my first time doing those classes and I'm not fit at all. I weight 223 and am 5ft 8 in-10 in.
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    That is normal.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    it's probably a normal feeling, but just make sure you don't burn yourself out from working out that much each day.
  • twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    make sure you get plenty of protein in your diet to aid repair, but it's normal, as your body gets used to it you'll be near enough ok the following day
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I agree it's normal for soemone who is new to that style of exercising (and to be honest 2 hours is a LOT!)

But once you're fitter and more used to them, then you wont feel the soreness for so long afterwards.
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    But be aware, at your weight, it is very easy to hurt yourself with so much intense activity without previous experience. Be careful of your joints, stop when you feel pain, as you'll burn more exercising regularly than sat on the sidelines because you hurt yourself within a couple of months.

It does get much easier after the first time though. If it doesn't, then consider maybe just one class instead of two for a while.
  • SGSmallman
    SGSmallman Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    make sure you get plenty of protein in your diet to aid repair, but it's normal, as your body gets used to it you'll be near enough ok the following day

Agreed! Eat more protein especially within the first 1-2 hours post workout, those aches and pains are your muscles crying out for fuel to rebuild.

You're basically starving your muscles.
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I am going to go against the crowd here and say that you may have over done it for your current fitness level. Some soreness the next day is normal but not being able to function for 2 days after a workout is too much. You should stop your workout before you reach total exhaustion or muscle failure at least until you are more fit and used to doing the workouts.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options

Agreed! Eat more protein especially within the first 1-2 hours post workout, those aches and pains are your muscles crying out for fuel to rebuild.

You're basically starving your muscles.

NO you are sore cuase you just started out. your muscles are not sending any secret message
  • Normal to take 2-5 days after a heavy workout :)
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I do Nike Training Club, and once I get done with that I am so wiped, there is no way I could even look at another workout.

I say you overdid it, and need to only do one workout per day.
  • ssflbelle2012
    ssflbelle2012 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I can feel your pain OP. I over did the bike riding on Sunday as I couldn't do my leg exercises at the gym on Tuesday. My coach asked what I did over the weekend and when I told him, he said it was too much.. So yes you too could have done too much.
  • thatjulesgirl
    thatjulesgirl Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the world of DOMS - Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness.

When I first started lifting weights I could barely brush my hair or sit on the toilet for a week. You'll feel tight and almost swollen and probably have some stabbing pains, particularly in your bigger muscles like your quads. Oh, and the worst part... it usually doesn't kick in for AT LEAST 24 hours, if not 48... so you'll be thinking "gee that was a good work out" for a full day after and THEN it hits!

Best cure is REST. Do not workout if you can barely walk / lift your arms above your head, you will just do more damage. Drink plenty of water, eat lots of protein and if it gets really bad have a warm (NOT HOT) bath with 1 cup of epsom salts. For legs, as soon as you can start slow strolls - the walking will help.

Oh and the other thing - particularly if you're lifting any kind of weights or doing body weight training - don't weigh yourself the day after a hard workout. The fluid around your muscles will always bump up your weight a little. Don't let it discourage you.

Good luck!
  • pennydreadful270
    pennydreadful270 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I only excercise 3 times a week and that is enough that I basically constantly have DOMS (muscle soreness) somewhere. My BF is fed up of hearing about it all, haha. For three days last week I went down the stairs like "ow, ow, ow, ow, ow".

I have heard creatine is good, drinking plenty, eating plenty. If I don't frink and eat right I definately get the excercise "hangover" with the headache, but the soreness doesn't bother me enough to go seeking out supplements for it.
  • quirkyone1
    Options
    I am going to go against the crowd here and say that you may have over done it for your current fitness level. Some soreness the next day is normal but not being able to function for 2 days after a workout is too much. You should stop your workout before you reach total exhaustion or muscle failure at least until you are more fit and used to doing the workouts.

I agree. I love destroying myself in a workout, but I have also been active pretty much my entire life. 2 hours of that type of workout is a lot for anyone. It is excessive for someone new to fitness who doesn't understand how their body responds and how to fuel properly.
  • drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    Options

I agree. I love destroying myself in a workout, but I have also been active pretty much my entire life. 2 hours of that type of workout is a lot for anyone. It is excessive for someone new to fitness who doesn't understand how their body responds and how to fuel properly.

^ I agree with these ^
  • Kris0109
    Kris0109 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Destroyed my core in the weight room Saturday then did a ~900 calorie Zumba class. Felt like crap til yoga last night ... moral of the story: STRETCH!! (and protein. and water.)