exercising at night vs morning

Options
CudyBug
CudyBug Posts: 742 Member
Is there really a difference. I figured its exercise so it doesnt matter when you do it but ive noticed everyone talking about getting up early and walking or whatnot. Its more convenient for me to work out at night at home. When I do go to the Y it is during the day but I havent been able to go in a few weeks. Anyways so I normally walk with my kids somewhere if its not too hot out nad then jump on the exercise bike at night after bedtime. I was thinking logically (to me anyways) working out at night is better since I ate all my calories for the day and can burn them off. And it also works out for me to do it after bedtime so I dont have to keep stopping to get something for a child or put someone in time out or anything that occurs here with a 2 and 5 year old.

Anyways so my question is, Is there really a difference in benefits from working out in the morning or at night?

Replies

• ccrunk75
    ccrunk75 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Exercising first thing in the morning helps you to burn more calories throughout the day. I have found that I often eat less (snack less) if I exercise first thing.

My current schedule is to bike/walk/or run in the morning before work and then do another walk/bike/run in the evening. I do strength 3 x per week and alternate this in the evenings with my morning workout.
  • leix
    leix Posts: 176
    Options
    I read exercising 3ish hours before bed keeps ya clock ticking for it burn more calories throught night as you sleep.. ?

I exercise morning, mid afternoon & evening :)
  • NicholeTrussell
    NicholeTrussell Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I think it just varies between people really. Some benefit from it more in the am than the pm. For some working out in the am helps them get their body going, and there are some that have trouble sleeping well with a workout in the evenings! Really it is whatever works for you the most. That being said, you do have to make sure you have enough fluids and food or energy to support your workouts, so you can stabilize your body for recovery after a good workout. Good Luck!
  • shellee9tj
    shellee9tj Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I exercise at night after my kids are in bed (4yrs and 2yrs) just like you I get interupted often if they are up when I try to workout! I feel like if I was over on my cals for the day or almost over, working out at night I can burn it off and make sure I stay under where as if I workout early in the day I have to make sure I stay on track the rest of the day. I say, do whatever works best for you, as long as you are doing something and seeing results then you are golden!! :flowerforyou:
  • crking
    crking Posts: 175
    Options
    I like working out in the morning better. I feel like afterwards my body is still working and burning more through out the day. When I work out at night. I feel like it's wasted because all I do is go to sleep after wards or a few hours after wards.
  • LoveMy4Kids
    LoveMy4Kids Posts: 231
    Options
    I find I lose better if I excercise at night rather than the day, but I do whatever works for my daily schedule!
  • StarryEyedGirl
    Options
    I like to exercise in the morning- I personally find that it helps me stay positive through the day. I think if I had to wait until the evening I wouldn't do it. I don't work and I am home with my kids during the day so that might be the difference why.

I say as long as you are exercising it doesn't matter what time of day! whatever works best for you!

great post, good to see other opinions.
  • janetgardiner
    Options
    If I wake up early to exercise I don't do as much as I'd rather be in bed. For me it's better to get up get ready to start the day and do a nice walk to work. You could walk to school or park with the kids??? I'm a nanny so then I get the older one of to school and before heading back to the house to get the buggy and take the little one for a walk. He's 2 and I make him walk the distance to the park (with him walking it might take us 25-30min, but I think it's teaching him walking is a fun thing to do.) We then play and I walk home fast and he has a well needed rest before he goes home for a sleep. I wear my HRM 2-3 a week while doing all this so I can work out how much I'm burning. I then do a fast walk home at the end of the day. Just with doing these things I've lost 20lbs in just over 2mths.
  • TooFine4MFP
    TooFine4MFP Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I used to love working out in the evening, but now that Im busy w/ ministry, my evenings are always tied up. I now work out in the mornings. It worka great for me because my mind is clearer, and i can get it done and be on with the rest of my day. I've always heard mornings are better for that reason. Plus I don't like working out after eating. Im sure calorie burn is the same whether you do it in the morning or at night. If you workout too late you may find it hard to sleep because your metabolism is revved up.....
  • mamaDaisyJ
    mamaDaisyJ Posts: 395
    Options
    I try to have a walk in the morning with the kids, then workout during naptime, walk the dog in the evening, and sometimes do a yoga before bed. That way, I'm kinda spreading the exercise out through the day.
  • maddox22
    maddox22 Posts: 91
    Options
    It depends on the person. I always work out in the morning because otherwise things come up during the day and I end up making excuses not to do it. Plus, I have found that I have a lot easier time eating appropriately if I start the day with a good workout. However, my husband hates working out in the morning because that's when he has his coffee buzz (he writes code...) and so he only exercises in the afternoon or early evening. I can't exercise that late because I usually end up with an upset stomach, no matter what I eat/drink or when.

As long as you're doing the exercise, it doesn't really matter when you do it. Do it whenever is convenient for you. The differences in calorie burn are minor. However, one thing you should consider and keep an eye out for is that exercising too close to when you go to bed can actually make it harder for you to sleep. Evidence suggests that statistically, for the best sleep, you should exercise at least three hours before you go to bed, or you might not sleep as well. (Of course, everyone is different, so if you sleep like a baby exercising right before bed, then go for it.)
  • handerso
    handerso Posts: 7
    Options
    Like someone else said, I don't think it really matters when you work out as long as you ARE working out. I've known marathon runners who run before work, after work, during lunch. I've known body builders who vary on their work out schedule as well. I find it is more important to find a routine that works with your schedule that you can stick to. If that means working out at night after the kids are in bed, go for it! There is no right or wrong to exercise. It's more important to find what exercise you like doing and a time you can do it regularly. Congratulations on all you have accomplished!
  • BobZombie
    BobZombie Posts: 2
    Options
    I usually work out at night because I always heard that it helps you burn calories while you sleep. I don't think there really is much of a difference, and if there is, it's most likely just affecting each person differently.
  • carilyn39
    carilyn39 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I work out in the morning. I get up around 5 am before anyone else in the house is up. I have 4 kids 17-11 oh and a husband. I am fortunate that my work has a gym in it and i only live 4 miles away. so i come to the gym do my hour then go home by 630 get the kids going, if it is school time, then i get ready to be to work by 8am. if i wait and do it at night i always find something else to do groceries, stuff for husband, you name it. i use that hour for me time. give me a chance just to concentrate on me.
  • summersk
    summersk Posts: 59
    Options
    I find that if I work out first thing in the morning I have more energy throughout the rest of the day and I can stay focused better as well. Also if I work out at night than I can't sleep because I'm too pumped up from my work out. I also have little ones at home so I like to get up before them get my workout in and take my shower before they get up and start running wild! But as far as to whether morning or evening is better, I think it's whatever works best for you. I say as long as you're exercising it doesn't matter when you do it as long as you do it! :happy:
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Generally I avoid early morning workouts, because I usually feel like crap.

I also don't like to work out too late at night cause then I'm up too late.

After work fits perfect, except when its really hot out. Then I am forced to juggle between the above listed evils.
  • CudyBug
    CudyBug Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    Thanx for all the replys. I do walk to the park with the kids and the library on wednesdays for storytime but wtih the weather being soooo hot, im finding it hard to get motivated enough to go to the park. We always do the library because we have books to return that day too. Next week isnt going to be so bad weather wise so Im hoping to get to the park atleast 3 times next week. So i guess technically im working out during the day too but its slower paced sometimes since my 5 year old cries the whole time that she doesnt want to walk. Occassionally I wip out the long double stroller and push that heavey load up the hills to the park but yea i avoid that when i can since my 2 year old is 36 lbs and my 5 year old weighs about the same. Then add in the weight of the stroller! YEA thats a heavey load to push up hills. Good work out but so hard in 96 degree weather lol
  • drizzt41888
    Options
    Working out at any time of day is fine, people will say its better to work out in the morning because it increases your metabolic rate throughout the day, but the same goes throughout the night. If you work out at night it increases your calories burned while sleeping
  • LittleMissNerdy
    LittleMissNerdy Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I workout after work, around 5pm. I love sleep too much to get up even earlier to get to work. I have an hour drive.
  • manhn1
    manhn1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    It don't matter. Really, it doesn't. Exercise when you can.