Changed Weigh In Day because of a weight gain??? :-/

Options
I just wanted to ask everyone out there if they've done this before but this past week, I was pretty good with what I ate (considering I had a couple of cheat days) but other than that, I was good and exercised regularly. So my usual weigh in day is Monday but I weighed in on Sunday and had a weight loss of 1.7lbs but then when I weighed in on Monday (my usual day), I gained 1.6lbs!!! I was so devastated because I was like what the heck did I do wrong. I realized that Sunday night, I did have some strawberry shortcake (homemade mind you) which could have been the culprit. But because of that, I took my "weight loss" from Sunday and used that as my overall loss for that week. Am I the only one that has done that lol?

Replies

• coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuations, even from one day to the next, are perfectly normal.
    Weight can fluctuate between 3-4 pounds a day, nothing to be worried about.
  • Lishia1283
    Lishia1283 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Yeah I understand that. But I guess my question is, should I have stuck with the weight loss or the weight gain (especially since the weight gain fell on my weigh in day of Monday)?
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    Oh, sorry! I misunderstood what you were asking...
    I always weigh in on Saturday mornings, before I eat breakfast, because it's the morning after the last day of the week which is better for my schedule, and I only weigh in every other week, not every week. I think if you changed to Sunday it would be fine, because it's the end of the weekend and the start to a new week. Whatever day you feel comfortable with, don't get discouraged because you had a gain on your "regular" weigh in day.
  • Lishia1283
    Options
    Thank you for that. It makes me feel a lot better about my decision to keep my Sunday weight loss lol!
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    I think you are fine also. I weighed at the Dr. and was down 2 pounds, when I weighed at home it was only one pound. I had already entered the Dr. office scale so I just left it as it is.
  • paulbuxton
    paulbuxton Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Stick with the weight gain.

If you use any of the fitbit products for tracking steps or weight, you can use a site called trendweight to look at the underlying trend of your weight rather than individual weight measurements. You can then switch to weighing yourself everyday to get a view of your weight change. It uses the same method as the Hackers Diet for calculating the trend.

You can see my graph here.

https://trendweight.com/u/912939e9145142/
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Since I tend to "behave" on weekdays and go higher sodium on weekends I always weigh on Friday morning. I also don't log gains unless they stick for more than 2 weeks, since I know I would have to eat a ridiculous number of calories to have a non-water weight gain.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Yeah I understand that. But I guess my question is, should I have stuck with the weight loss or the weight gain (especially since the weight gain fell on my weigh in day of Monday)?

I don't even record anything unless it's a loss. I can fluctuate close to 8 lbs over a week and if I had a particularly big dinner one night or went out on the Friday and had a few drinks I guarantee I'll be over on Saturday which is my normal weigh in day. If you obsess over the scale I would suggest not weighing more than once a month. Or just weigh and only record if you are lower than your last weight - especially if you know you are doing everything right. If you aren't then go another week. As long as you are not trending upward for longer than a couple of weeks it's just a temporary blip - just ignore it and move on.

Remember, you have to eat an EXTRA 3500 calories OVER and above your maintenance calories in order to gain a pound.. Most people are not going to be doing this unless they binge for an entire week.
  • Lishia1283
    Options
    Thanks @Koldriana! That's too funny that you mention about not weighing in UNLESS it's a loss because I was really considering doing that for this past week. I've done that in the past where if I was dissatisfied with my weight one week then I would just hold off for another week or so and that usually worked. So I might just do that, if it happens again. I get discouraged real easy when I see the weight gain on the scale so to save my sanity, I will go back to what worked for me in the past. Thanks you guys for all of your great advice!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I don't have a "weigh-in day." I weigh myself everyday. When a loss hangs around for more than two days, then I log it on MFP. It can happen any day of the week. I'm not picky.
  • paulbuxton
    paulbuxton Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Before I got my Fitbit Aria scale I was just logging on the days when I was down. It is quite good motivationally speaking, and whilst you are losing weight it is a good way of seeing the trend. It becomes less useful if you are trying to maintain weight.
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I only record when I have a loss, but it has to be a sticky loss, not just a fluke. So in your example, I would have seen the Sunday loss, made a mental note but not recorded it, weighed on Monday, seen that something fluke-ish was going on, and then continued daily weighing until I saw something relatively stable that I could mark as a loss (if Tuesday and Wednesday weights were back to Sunday level, for instance).