Fruit sugars

Options
OK I'm getting really frustrated with the fruit I eat putting me over in sugars! Yesterday I had 1 apple and 1 cup of unsweetened frozen blueberries, the only other thing I ate with considerable sugar in it was my PLAIN greek yogurt. I was 17 grams of sugar over from this. I can't stop eating fruit so what should I do???

Replies

• baileybiddles
    baileybiddles Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. If you look at my diary, you'll see that I'm already something like 60 grams over for sugar and I've only logged my breakfast, lunch and snacks for the day. This doesn't even include dinner.

From what I understand, there are many different perspectives on this. Some people say that sugar is sugar and your body can't tell the difference so you should try to remain under your goal. Others say that sugars from fruit are DIFFERENT and not to worry about going over if it's fruit-related. Me, I just sort of take it in stride. If I'm under my calorie goal and reasonably within my macro goals, I try not to panic. Sorry I'm not more helpful!
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Turn your sugar tracking off.

Solved.

If you stick to your carb goal you'll be fine.
  • jeffd247
    jeffd247 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Back when I was doing WW boards, someone posted a similar thread. The reply that killed the thread was, "Nobody ever got fat eating grapes". :smile:
  • Oncebittentwiceshy38
    Oncebittentwiceshy38 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Back when I was doing WW boards, someone posted a similar thread. The reply that killed the thread was, "Nobody ever got fat eating grapes". :smile:

Haha! I love that! :)
  • chadraeder3
    chadraeder3 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    *not a dietician or medial professional*

If you are going over your sugar because you are eating whole fruits then don't worry about it. Whole fruits contain more then just sugar like fiber and vitamins and minerals, you get more benefit from them then just sugar. Fruits contain fructose which is a mono-saccharide unlike table sugar which is a di-saccaride which is 2 sugars (fructose and glucose). This is all moot if you are specifically trying to limit sugar because of a health problem but even if you have a specific health problem the doctors will still encourage you to eat fruit because of the benefits.

Just because you are over on a category on MFP does not mean you are eating wrong. I go over every day on vitamin C, Iron, and normally vitamin A, it doesn't mean that I am getting too much but I am getting more then the recommended daily allowance. That is just recommended amounts not maximum amounts.
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    The RDA on sugar is "added sugar" so things like the sugar in baked goods, soft drinks, etc. It would be nice if MFP could track it that way but that would be impossibly complicated to program. So, if you are eating healthy sugars then I would kill the sugar tracking and keep inside your carbs.
  • FettsLady
    FettsLady Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I took the sugar counter off as well. Mine was going over from fruits also. I have calories, carbs, fat, sodium and fiber counters on.
  • erinnstreeter
    erinnstreeter Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Turn your sugar tracking off.

Solved.

If you stick to your carb goal you'll be fine.

^^this

In fact, I'm turning mine off now. I'm so tired of feeling like I failed because a whole days' worth of vegetables and no fat dairy put me over. And it's too much effort to calculate the good from the bad sugars.
  • FASTFUELXXX
    FASTFUELXXX Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    IT REALLY DSNT MATTER IF U TURN IT OFF BCZ IF U GO 2 UR DAILY GOALS UR STILL GONNA C DA SUGAR TRACKING. IF I WZ U I WUD TRACK MY FRUIT SUGARS SEPARATELY ON PAPER & C DA DIFFERENCE BETWEEN DA FRUIT SUGARS & OTHER SUGARS DAT U INTAKE. IF IT STILL BOTHERS U THEN MAKE ADJUSTMENTS FA UR FRUIT SUGAR INTAKE.
  • ms_leanne
    ms_leanne Posts: 523
    Options
    The sugar in fruit is burnt with the fibre in the fruit's flesh. Fruit is fine, fruit juices on their own not so much as you don't get the fibre to process the sugars.