The Pros & Cons of Exercise Bikes?

Options
Hey everyone I'm currently trying to eat healthier, exercise more and hopefully lose weight and tone up... as I'm sure all of us are! I'm considering joining a gym but a colleague of mine has recently bought an exercise bike and I'm now considering doing the same as it is a much cheaper option than gym membership. But is it worth it?

If anyone has anything interesting to say about exercise bikes, bad points, good points whatever I'd like to know :)

Ta!

Cat xx

Replies

• Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason against getting a normal bike and exercising outside? I find that if I am outdoors I push myself harder and go further than indoors. Then I have a trainer for my bike so I can set it up as an exercise bike when the weather is bad.
  • blugoogirl
    blugoogirl Posts: 41
    Options
    No, no reason really. Just that an exercise bike is cheaper and the actual cycling bike I wanted to buy isn't sold anymore.
  • LoriLou67
    LoriLou67 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Do you have a "regular" bike? Now, before you roll your eyes at me (lol), something probably even less expensive is to look into setting your bike up on a trainer. Then you can pull it off and go outside when time/weather cooperates! I have my mtn bike on a trainer. The tv is down there to distract me and I recently purchased a mp3 file with workouts (much like a spinning class). Others can probably give you good advice about exercise bikes...I just thought this might be another thing to consider if you have a bike. Happy pedaling!
  • Pieater
    Pieater Posts: 40
    Options
    Be sure to bring some entertainment is you use a stationary bike. I find that if I have some music, an audio book or plant the bike in front of a TV I'm much less likely to get bored and wander off. Sometimes i get lost in my entertainment and forget that I'm peddling for a bit. I recommend using a real bike outdoors if you have the option - I tend to mountain bike for hours on end - especially now that I invested in a nice bike.
  • llyndon
    llyndon Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I bought the bike years ago but it's kinda limited. It was also the most boring thing I ever used to work out and I soon chucked it for a real bike. You might try yard sales or Craig's list to get you a bike you like. I found a great schwinn tourer for 50 bucks at a yard sale one time.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    No, no reason really. Just that an exercise bike is cheaper and the actual cycling bike I wanted to buy isn't sold anymore.

Maybe you can get a cheaper bike for now. I understand having a nice bike. I love mine. But it doesn't have to stop you from getting out there. Check things like craigs list to get a good back at a good price.
  • jerren
    jerren Posts: 196
    Options
    I'm another who started off with a stationary bike and traded it in for a regular bike. I've been using my regular bike way more than i ever did the stationary bike. I actually just got clipless pedals this weekend. I don't think I would have made it this far without my bike.
  • xTattooedDollx
    xTattooedDollx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Bikes hurt my knees and I'd like to burn more calories than a bike does.
  • Sara1478
    Sara1478 Posts: 21
    Options
    I use a stationary bike regularly. I read, watch TV or movies, listen to podcasts and music, while on it. I would prefer riding outside, but a lack of daylight hours, extreme weather, and no bike safe paths/roads are available here. I mix up my exercise with Taekwondo classes and free weights. You just need to find what best fits for you so you can stick with it for the long term. Any exercise is better than no exercise.
  • Darling_Jay
    Options
    I moved back in with my Mum not long ago, and she had an exercise bike just sat there doing nothing. I've put it in my room and it's been a god send. I just get on it whenever, put an album I love singing along to on really loud and just go until the album is finished and I don't take notice of the calorie counter. When i've finished I'm suprised at how much Ive burnt because listening to music makes time go faster. Also, its great if you're in all day and you just want to do a quick half an hour without the effort of getting sweats on, facing bad weather (bearing in mind I live in cloudy Britain) or if you wanna a quick workout before work, or before bed. I am definatley pro exercise bikes. As long as you use it reguarly, its a real investment.

X