Alternative to protein powder Post-workout (to build muscle)

Options
Imanido
Imanido Posts: 186 Member
I am thinking of giving a break to the protein powder after the post-workout (I do free weights and although I am still trying to reduce BF%, I am also trying to build muscle). I am just wondering if the protein (+BCAA+ glutamine) after workout will make such a difference if you substitute it by something else.

For all of you that lift, what was the best alternative you found. I have been thinking of swapping with Quark (similar to cottage cheese, no fat, low carb, and 33 gr. of protein) but then it is a slow release protein and I am supposed to have a faster released protein post workout.

Any good ideas please??

Replies

• FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I think your protein window is at least 24 hours from what I've read here. I think SideSteel posted about this.
    He's in here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    The idea of a protein shake is 2 fold...

1) increase insulin levels (whey is HIGHLY insulinic)
    2) increase daily protein

Both can be done with a variety of things. If you are getting enough protein in your diet without a protein shake (which is the ideal most of us are shooting for), then you don't need to worry much about the protein piece. So all you need to do is spike insulin levels, which is pretty easy.

Chocolate milk is a great post workout drink, but it really comes down having something that will help with your daily macro needs and something that will spike your insulin.
  • Imanido
    Options
    I thought the ideal was to have a fast release protein in the next 20 minutes after the workout, although the 24 hour period makes sense from the general point of view of nutrition. I will check that post from SS :-)
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I thought the ideal was to have a fast release protein in the next 20 minutes after the workout, although the 24 hour period makes sense from the general point of view of nutrition. I will check that post from SS :-)

I'll give you the cliff notes version:

I wouldn't be too concerned about getting in a protein shake immediately post workout.
    I think it's a good idea to get some protein, whether in the form of whey, casein, chicken, eggs, (a meal, basically) within a couple of hours of the training bout to cover any hypothetical benefits.
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    this is very useful I have found, it explains how much you need for macros after a workout :)

it also gives examples etc and proper explanations rather than just 'do this do that'

http://www.sportsdietitians.com.au/resources/upload/120628 Recovery_SD version.pdf
  • Imanido
    Options

I'll give you the cliff notes version:

I wouldn't be too concerned about getting in a protein shake immediately post workout.
    I think it's a good idea to get some protein, whether in the form of whey, casein, chicken, eggs, (a meal, basically) within a couple of hours of the training bout to cover any hypothetical benefits.

hahaha, Thank you so much, did you already read my pm? or did you read my mind?? Thanks for the quick reply, that is what I will do then :-)
  • Imanido
    Options
    this is very useful I have found, it explains how much you need for macros after a workout :)

it also gives examples etc and proper explanations rather than just 'do this do that'

http://www.sportsdietitians.com.au/resources/upload/120628 Recovery_SD version.pdf

Thanks for the info, I will have a look at it.