Adding a light extra workout with Insanity

Options
jaina08
jaina08 Posts: 561 Member
I know the Insanity workout is really intense but I have a gym membership and I don't want to waste it. So on rest days and cardio recovery days is it okay if I walk for 30 min on the treadmill and do a 10 minute ab work out?

Replies

• jaina08
    Options
    Anyone have advice? Lol
  • Cajunmalakai
    Cajunmalakai Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Your probably okay walking on recovery days as long as its not real intense. However, you should leave your rest days alone. Insanity is a very intense workout series and resting is just as important as working hard. Your body needs those days to recoup and rebuild. Extra days can easily lead to over training, which in turn can lead to diminished results as well as injury.
  • jaina08
    Options
    Your probably okay walking on recovery days as long as its not real intense. However, you should leave your rest days alone. Insanity is a very intense workout series and resting is just as important as working hard. Your body needs those days to recoup and rebuild. Extra days can easily lead to over training, which in turn can lead to diminished results as well as injury.

Can I also add an ab workout with the walking? If it's not too much?
  • Cajunmalakai
    Options
    I don't think it's necessary.
    Alot of the moves your doing in the workouts will hit your your core pretty hard especially in the Plyo and Power and Resistance routines. Plus, there is already a dedicated ab workout in the program.

What kind of ab workout do you do?
  • jaina08
    Options
    I don't think it's necessary.
    Alot of the moves your doing in the workouts will hit your your core pretty hard especially in the Plyo and Power and Resistance routines. Plus, there is already a dedicated ab workout in the program.

What kind of ab workout do you do?

I have an app on my phone that has a 10 minute ab workout with a basic crunch, right and left oblique crunch, bicycle crunch, reverse crunch, long arm crunch, crossover crunch, half curl, vertical leg crunch and a plank. I guess I should just not go to the gym at all then? And just stick with insanity for the rest of the days?
  • Cajunmalakai
    Options
    you can go to the gym to walk on the recovery days if you want to, but other than, Insanity is pretty inclusive.
  • Cajunmalakai
    Options
    Although, if you want to use the gym more often, it is possible to combine a strength training routine and Insanity in a more comprehensive program.
  • jaina08
    Options
    Although, if you want to use the gym more often, it is possible to combine a strength training routine and Insanity in a more comprehensive program.

Okay thank you. I know that Insanity works out the core but for some reason I don't feel my abs getting sore? When I did my own ab workout yesterday it actually felt sore. Am I doing it wrong?
  • Cajunmalakai
    Options
    Your core is more than just your abs. It includes your back, hips, shoulders and glutes. The purpose of your abdominal muscles is to resist movement, (specifically rotation) in order to protect the spine., and it is key to train your entire core to achieve a lean, strong mid-section.

Don't worry about your abs being sore. Soreness is not an indication of a good workout. Instead, focus on working your entire core and fatiguing the muscles.
  • Cajunmalakai
    Options
    sorry for the wait. I've been away on business.
  • SwimSoccerTaxi
    SwimSoccerTaxi Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I just finished my first round of Insanity and will be starting up again immediately!!! You need to do nothing else besides the workout scheduled for that day. I do have 3 dogs so I power walk with them for 50 minutes everyday as well and I'm beat afterwards!!! You will need the rest days and the recovery week....the second month is CRAZY and that recovery week is what you need to prepare your body! I plan to do the recovery week then start the program again. Good luck....take pictures and do the measurements....you'll be shocked!!!