Curves and HRM

Options
Can anyone tell me if you can use a HRM at curves. I have been using mine and it is giving me different amounts of calories burnt from curves smart. This morning curves said 418 and HRM said 280 calories. I read somewhere that you can't use a HRM at curves any help would be appreciated.

Replies

• jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    I don't think so- no. HRM are no,good for strength work.
  • ciarabubs
    ciarabubs Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your reply, I just wonder if you can really burn 418 calories in 26 minutes doing curves, thats why I was going with HRM
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what exactly curves entails, but I do know it is quite easy to burn that much in that amount of time doing high intensity work, such as high intensity strength training, circuit training, or jumping rope.
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Depends on your weight/age, but I'm thinking no, you didn't burn 400+ calories in half an hour at Curves. A really loose rule of thumb (for averageish-weight generally healthy people) is that you can burn 10 calories/minute working as hard as you can.
  • Jovan0609
    Jovan0609 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I don't go to Curves, but I do use my HRM when I'm doing my strength training at the gym or doing a circuit at Planet Fitness. The Planet Fitness circuit is similar to how Curves has theirs set up but it has the weights on the machines instead of just the resistance used by Curves machines. The circuit is about 30 minutes and I generally burn around 280 or so calories so I would probably trust my HRM if I were you. That sounds about accurate for the workout that Curves provides.

Hope this helps. :smile:
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    If you're doing straight up cardio - use the HRM.

If not, don't. HRMs are not accurate for strength/weight training.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your reply, I just wonder if you can really burn 418 calories in 26 minutes doing curves, thats why I was going with HRM

While it's true that HRM's aren't good for strength training, it's also highly doubtful that you're burning 418 calories in 26 minutes.

From my understanding, Curves is similar to circuit training. I'd try logging 26 minutes of circuit training here on MFP and see what it gives you. People say MFP is not accurate but it's been spot on for me.
  • kodom_123
    kodom_123 Posts: 117 Member
    Options

That seems high for 26 minutes but not impossible, I wonder if they are accounting for afterburn maybe?? I mean it's hard to make a blanket statement like you burn THIS many in this circut...because of different fitness levels and people's intensity levels..some folks may go all out and push really hard and some may do the minimum..as well as same person from day to day, the intesity level changes and as well as the more fit you get the less you burn in the same amount of time/activity. So I always use my HRM and know that especially with resistance stuff I am probably burning more throughout the day..with cardio alone, what you see is what you get on your HRM which leads me to think maybe they are accounting for what they believe your total burn may be after the workout.
  • Jujai52
    Jujai52 Posts: 10
    Options
    yes you can! I was a member when I worked at a local Curves (it's a women's only circuit based gym for those who don't know ;-) at my peak - after about 3 months of membership I was burning between 500 & 600 per 30 minutes session - AND IT SHOWED!! that 'interval training' style of exercise is the best! 30 seconds of activity (ie; as many squats as you can get in a 30 second time-frame) then 30 seconds of marching on the spot, then repeat with varied exercises for a total of 30 minutes....brings great results as it locks your fat burning heart rate - yeah you can get seriously out of breath and red in the face if you wan to push it harder! but it is the consistent HR level that burns the most FAT!! woo hooooooooooooooooooo
  • ciarabubs
    Options
    Thanks for all your replys :smile:
  • mich1902
    mich1902 Posts: 182
    Options
    although you are doing resistance work at curves, I was always non-stop, even on the boards. i did find that When I eventually got to goal, i didn't burn as much but that's just natural. In the 30 mins I was working my butt off I burned on average 174 calories according to my hrm. Even at my heaviest(11st 11) i never burned as much as 400-500 cals. I got a fantastic shape from it though and lost lots of inches.
  • kklemarow
    kklemarow Posts: 167 Member
    Options

I've only been using my HRM since Christmas but didn't realize it wasn't suitable for weight/strength training. Why is it not reliable for strength training?
  • jaz050465
    Options

I've only been using my HRM since Christmas but didn't realize it wasn't suitable for weight/strength training. Why is it not reliable for strength training?
    Can't re,ember the science behind it but if you do a search for HRM and strength training you'll see lots of posts on it.
  • jaz050465
    Options
    I don't go to Curves, but I do use my HRM when I'm doing my strength training at the gym or doing a circuit at Planet Fitness. The Planet Fitness circuit is similar to how Curves has theirs set up but it has the weights on the machines instead of just the resistance used by Curves machines. The circuit is about 30 minutes and I generally burn around 280 or so calories so I would probably trust my HRM if I were you. That sounds about accurate for the workout that Curves provides.

Hope this helps. :smile:
    What makes you say you should trust the HRM.
  • kklemarow
    kklemarow Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    jaz050465 - Thank you, I'll look into it.
  • ciarabubs
    Options
    Just saw on a website a Curves HRM, they say it tells you how many calories you have burnt! Wonder if tells you same as the machines