NROL4W vs. SL5x5: Does gender matter in choice of workout?

Options
I recently switched programs and a friend asked me "Why NROL4W vs. SL5x5?" I switched because NR has gender specific targeted workouts (supposedly) that account for the specific needs of women. e.g., NR talks about how women are already too strong in the quads & abs. This causes a pull to the front & down of the entire body structure. This can cause us to have necks pulled forward, pain between shoulder blades, & worst case - dowagers hump. So we need to do more to strengthen the upper back, lower back, glutes & hams to rebalance those structures. We need to avoid doing exercises that exacerbate the imbalance. Now, maybe doing SL would've resulted in the same balance, but everything you read in it talks about men's builds and issues. So, that's why I recently switched. What do you all think? Does gender matter when designing & approaching a workout program? If yes or if no, why do you think so?

Replies

• Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Bumping up for comments
  • quirkyone1
    Options
    SL is just fine for women. Squats and deadlifts (when done properly) will work the hamstrings. While I never hesitate to recommend NROLFW for a beginner, I do find that there are some unnecessary exercises included in some of the stages. I remember getting to stage 3 (??) and thinking "I just want to squat and DL!!".