Bike rack

Options
I have a hybrid bike that for the most part, I've just laid across the back of my mazda5 but now I need to progress to one of those bike racks.......any advice on choosing one? I can easily google what is a best fit for a mazda5 2012 but I'm a little nervous, as car stuff is not my strong point. Figured, I'd check here and maybe someone has some advice.

Replies

• timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Does your Mazda have a hitch? I put a hitch on my Mazda3 just for the purpose of carrying a bike rack. Took less than 10 minutes to install. If you don't there are other options - good ones like Thule or Yakima seem to be well-reviewed. You can see some here:

http://www.etrailer.com/trunkmount-2012_Mazda_5.htm

I prefer hitch-mounted racks. More secure and stable. In that type of product you have platform style where the bike sits into wheel holders, or you have the hanging style where the bike is attached by the upper frame. I used a Swagman XTC platform rack and love it for our two mountain bikes.
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I would look at the Saris Bones rack. It is versatile, easy to hook up and take off and switch to different cars and fairly reasonably priced. I wouldn't suggest leaving it on permanently because it can get stolen. The other option, although quite a bit more expensive would be a Thule roof rack system.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    I got this one because it fits my hatchback but would also fit any other car:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000QJ8BV0/ref=oh_details_o04_s02_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • RunReadEat
    RunReadEat Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Although more expensive, I prefer roof racks to truck racks. (1) I found putting the trunk rack on and taking it off to be a hassle, especially when I needed both the bike and the trunk! (2) I was always worried that there would be some freak accident that resulted in my bike being squashed. (Okay, that one might just be me being wierd.) (3) I found the straps flapping around annoying. (4) I always felt like the bike was more secure on a roof rack. (Locked down, as opposed to bungee corded, or what have you.) (5) One downside of the roof rack, other than price, if you're short, and/or your bike is heavy, it can be awkward to get it into place.

Thule and Yakima both make high quality racks.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Do your research. You can get a trunk mount hitch (straps, easy on/off), a roof rack (if you have runners already), or you can get a hitch mounted to your frame (durable, not as difficult as it sounds).

If you get a hitch, I would strongly recommend an auto shop to put it on - bolt AND weld for a stronger bond. Also, carefully inspect anything you order online for bends in shipping. The slightest tilt will make the experience miserable. I used E-trailer for my old car, and Amazon for my new vehicle. Both have a free shipping policy.

I currently use a Thule "Spare Me" spare tire mounted hitch. I would recommend that brand for hitch and roof. I have a friend that has a Saris trunk mount and he swears by it. Don't go cheap on a trunk mount - the cheapos will damage your paint.
  • been285
    been285 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    this is really just like figuring out what car you want to buy, and your first choice may not end up being the one.

1. Know anybody with a rack who can show you how your bike works on their car/rack.
    RU outgoing enough to talk to strangers at the park or the staging area for your local bike clubs ride ?

2. I can only share my situation, your needs are your own.

a.. I tried a trunk rack on my hatchback when I first got a bike with all the straps, hooks ect , I was not amused.
    b. My suv is tall and I often bike alone,,, no roof racks for me ... sigh
    c. I got a receiver bolted on at U- haul ( seen the empty square box/slot in the back of some cars ) they come in two sizes 1½ and 2 inch. your hitch rack should match or you will be messing with an adapter.
    d. Need my rear hatch,, so I got a rack that could tilt with bikes on,,, or fold without bikes.
    e. no top/cross bar on my bike ( they do sell adapters ) so no hanging racks for me.

Just to add to the confusion.... SeaSucker.com sells a suction cup rig that while not any cheaper would be less permanent.

read,, try if you can,, decide... good hunting.

• Laura42012
    Laura42012 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Wow - there's some great advice here. At least, I know what direction to go in now! Thank you :)
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I've heard that roof-mounted bikes will drag down your gas mileage, so that's something to take into consideration too.
  • Laura42012
    Laura42012 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I've heard that roof-mounted bikes will drag down your gas mileage, so that's something to take into consideration too.

I have a roof rack but....I'm 5'3 lol....I'd need a stool to accomplish a whole lot up there.