Does anyone calculate TDEE this way?

Options
When I started MFP (April 2011) I did what most do in the beginning; set up my loss for 2 lbs/week, 1200 calories/day. I ate back my exercise calories.

Then: I was 45, 5'7" desk job, around 30 total to lose.

Now, I have around 10-15 or so left to lose, and I've calculated my TDEE number and that what I use to determine daily calories. My TDEE minus 10% is around 1450-1500 calories if I do not account for weekly exercise when calculating that number.

I prefer to not include the exercise so I don't have to zig zag numbers depending on if I'm exercising or not on any given day, also, I reason I can be rewarded with moar food when I do exercise!

Does anyone else set up TDEE this way? Is this an acceptable way of going about it?

Replies

• servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Unless I misunderstood you, I do it that way too and makes the most sense to me. I don't include weekly exercise when figuring out tdee. I only consider how active I am in general so I pick sedentary. And if I do exercise I log it for that day so it gets added to my daily requirement. This makes sense if you have a desk job or are at home. However if you're a waitress or construction worker you should account for that by picking a higher activity level when setting things up.
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I chose sedentary - I do work a desk job.
  • Paulinefrew69
    Paulinefrew69 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Yes, I work out my TDEE the same way. I don't want to feel i HAVE to exercise no matter how I feel. Less pressure to exercise and I think this makes me exercise more.
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    it is totally acceptable as long as youre still eating back those cals. thats how i do it. i set my MFP standards to my bmr+daily activity which is around 1800 since i'm on my feet all day and then when i exercise i know i can have an extra meal or recovery shake. it works and i dont run the risk of undereating.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    You can do it that way, yes. As long as you eat back the exercise calories.

Personally, I don't do it that way. I focus on one number every single day that has my exercise built in.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    To be nit-picky...technically, that's not your TDEE if you don't include your exercise.

TDEE: (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) = BMR+EAT+NEAT+TEF

BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate): The number of calories you burn at complete rest.
    EAT (Exercise Associated Thermogenesis): Caloric requirements of training, or training expenditure.
    NEAT (Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis): Caloric requirements of activity that is not planned exercise. Vacuuming, driving, brushing your teeth, for example.
    TEF/DIT (Thermic Effect of Feeding or Diet Induced Thermogenesis): Caloric expense of eating/digestion.

Just sayin'.

If you don't like zig-zagging, you can figure out what your average TDEE is for a longer period of time (1-2 weeks) and then eat the average every day. I like this approach, because then I don't have to worry about reducing my intake on rest days. It's not for everyone, though.

What you're doing is fine :)
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    To be nit-picky...technically, that's not your TDEE if you don't include your exercise.

This I did not realize!

I'm sure at some point I'll include weekly workouts in my (true, haha) TDEE...perhaps even average things out for a few weeks as you suggested, I just wanted to make sure that what I'm doing now isn't way off base.

Thanks!
  • dan323
    dan323 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Nope,,,Nada,,,Not me,,,,,
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options

Thanks!

No prob! :bigsmile: