Yogurt

Options
emccand
emccand Posts: 195 Member
So how does everyone feel about yogurt, healthy or not?

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Yogurt can be healthy if you don't get the kind that has candy stir-ins. Some is rather sugary or has lots of chemicals, but I do like it. Greek yogurt is especially awesome because of the extra protein kick.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    It's awesome. I eat boatloads of it. So much that I've started making it myself. (So easy and cheap!)

But yeah, the flavoured, sweetened stuff can be super high cal, and the "sugar-free" or "fat free" "diet" stuff is low cal but usually pretty low in protein (hardly worth it IMO).

Plain greek yogurt (or homemade stuff) is the bomb. Sweeten with fruit or honey if you're so inclined.
  • emccand
    emccand Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I like the 99% fat free stuff from yoplait but with sugars and carbs idk if its even worth eating it. I have tried greek yogurt and do NOT like it lol!
  • allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    not all yogurt is equal. Flavor and mouth feel depend a great deal on the starter culture. I personally like the Fage 0% greek yogurt with a tablespoon or two of all fruit preserves, jam or fresh fruit added (per 8 oz serving). You DO need to read the ingredients label and stick to the plain milk and culture brands - many of the "cheaper" brands add gelatin and other "fillers" to "improve" the texture and have way too much refined sugar. Starting with plain yogurt and adding your own fruit or other sweetening ensures that you know exactly what you're eating.
  • RyanneRose
    RyanneRose Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Loving Chobani greek yogurt with the fruit in it. That's what I give to my daughter as a snack (she's 1yr), so we have it on hand all the time. I'd say unless you're eating the really sweet mix-in kinds with the stir-in cookies and sprinkles and stuff, it's probably pretty good for you. fat free, sugar free, no calorie...etc versions of most anything aren't worth the reduction to me because i think they taste funny...if I'm going to eat something, I might as well eat something that tastes good. I'd rather "spend" 250 calories on something nice than 90 on something that'll leave a bad taste in my mouth.
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Fage 0% greek yogurt with some blueberries/strawberries stirred in. Nuke them in the microwave before adding if you feel like them jammy.
    This is a real staple for me, and I love it. If I'm feeling needy then I crumble up a mini meringue (15 cals) and that's pretty special.
    I once tried adding a sugar free, under 10 cal jelly (hartleys) and that was like a really decadent dessert.

I know... How sad am I?! :laugh:
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Depends on the yogurt. If HFCS or acesulfame potassium, is on the label then I say NOT. Fat free, I also say not. We need some fat. I really enjoy kefir here lately. It's thinner than yogurt but thicker than milk, and it tastes very good.
  • slroggemann
    slroggemann Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    not all yogurt is equal. Flavor and mouth feel depend a great deal on the starter culture. I personally like the Fage 0% greek yogurt with a tablespoon or two of all fruit preserves, jam or fresh fruit added (per 8 oz serving). You DO need to read the ingredients label and stick to the plain milk and culture brands - many of the "cheaper" brands add gelatin and other "fillers" to "improve" the texture and have way too much refined sugar. Starting with plain yogurt and adding your own fruit or other sweetening ensures that you know exactly what you're eating.

this.

I mix frozen fruit into plain greek yogurt for a really tasty snack :)
  • BranMuffin947
    BranMuffin947 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    HEALTHY!!

WARNING: only buy PLAIN yogurt; 0% or whole is fine, while whole tastes so much better!
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    That is so true. I only buy plain yogurt, than add either frozen mango, banana, strawberries. I Costco sells an Indian plain Whole yogurt thats to die for, costing less than $5.00 for a large tub.
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    HEALTHY!!

WARNING: only buy PLAIN yogurt; 0% or whole is fine, while whole tastes so much better!
    Just curious here, why the "WARNING!"?
  • sk_pirate
    sk_pirate Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I love yogurt, but enjoy eating with a purpose. I choose Greek because it bumps up my protein without a tonne of sugar or fat. I used to eat Activia until I realized how much sugar is in one little pack. Then I went with the no-sugar aspartame crap, not worth sacrificing taste for cals.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Yogurt is YUMMY and healthy... If you don't do dairy you can make it from alternate "milks" I make yogurt regularly and even strain out the whey and make yogurt cheese from it. The only time I buy yogurt from the store is if I need to pick up a small tub of it to use as a starter in order to make more yogurt!
  • tong806
    tong806 Posts: 9
    Options
    Yogurt is good but not for everyone. Like everything has it positive and negative. I am lucky I can have it, and I enjoy the tart taste. I like dairy yogurt and non dairy yogurt.

I make my homemade yogurt, and add in fruits, honey or brow sugar. (http://www.easy-homemade-yogurt.com/)
  • WhiteGirlWasted13
    WhiteGirlWasted13 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I like the 99% fat free stuff from yoplait but with sugars and carbs idk if its even worth eating it. I have tried greek yogurt and do NOT like it lol!

I hated it the first time I tried it, too. But now, it's a regular staple in my protein category. I'll give you a couple ways to make it more palatable. First off, I buy the plain, organic greek yogurt from Trader Joe's. I feel strongly about organic foods, but I know not everyone does. If this is you, just make sure whatever you buy is the full fat, nothing added, just plain greek yogurt. Next, take some natural applesauce, no sugar added, and mix it in equal parts to your yogurt (I use a half cup of each). Then I add a splash of McCormick's vanilla extract (no HFCS) and a dash of ground cinnamon and mix it all up really well. I swear, it's like eating custard or something. The first time I tried this, I literally licked the bowl. :)

The other way I like it is to take the same half cup of yogurt and add frozen strawberries (8-10) and blend it all up in my Vitamix. The frozen berries end up making the whole thing like some kind of sorbet, so it feels like I'm eating ice cream for breakfast. Sometimes, I'll add the splash of vanilla extract to that, too. But even if I don't, it's still delicious!

Good luck, and keep trying. It's definitely worth it!
  • BranMuffin947
    Options
    HEALTHY!!

Just curious here, why the "WARNING!"?

lol warning! for the sugar-loaded yogurts.
  • BranMuffin947
    Options
    yogurt is an amazing protein source & it's great in smoothies =)

Instead of buying a 'protein bar' why not just eat a container of yogurt for protein?? Now that I think about it, why don't more people do this? If they are eating the protein bar for protein, why not get it from a more 'natural' product?
  • obrientp
    obrientp Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I meant to buy 0% Fage, but grabbed the 2% by mistake. It's sooo good and creamy, but I really don't want to use up 190 calorie for yogurt. It's back with maybe an occasional 2%er thrown in on a heavy workout day.