How can i stay on track during the weekend?

Options
What are some good ways to stay on track during the weekend? any strategies?

I make sure monday thru friday i eat so well then i ruin it over the weekends by going way way way overboard..

any ways i can do that less often?

Replies

• GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    Change your mindset.

Not saying this is you, but it applies: I see people all the time that start exercising and eating well for short periods of time, sometimes they stick to it long enough to achieve their goals, but then go back to their old habits and gain the weight back. The problem is that their mindset is backwards. They look at keeping tabs on diet and exercising more as "a chore" that they do when they need to lose a little weight. The problem is, it always comes back when you have that mindset.

However, what if you look at it in reverse? What if eating clean, keeping track of calories, and being more active becomes the norm? What if you accept doing those things as "everyday life"?

When you catch yourself counting down to the weekend because you know you can go out, binge, drink, whatever, then you know your mindset is still backwards. Once you come to terms and truly accept the "lifestyle" you won't care what day it is because it is just what you do. Of course, you still go out on occasion and celebrate things and even overeat, but those are RARE occasions, not every weekend. Once you come to terms with it in your head, it isn't a chore anymore... its just what you do.
  • oXGetFitBabeXo
    oXGetFitBabeXo Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Thank you :)
  • staciedee10
    staciedee10 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I do GREAT Monday - Friday because I am at work and on a strict schedule. Weekends (Saturdays & Sundays) are hard because I do different things on those days than the work days. Sleep in longer, run around all day shopping, eating out, drinking some, boating on the lake, etc. LIFE happens on the weekends and it can be hard to stay as strict as the other days. I drink a gallon of water every day but find it very hard to get it all in on Saturday & Sunday due to not having as strict a schedule. I realize that I need to make good choices on those two days, exercise harder if I eat more, but no matter what happens, I enjoy life to its fullest. :-)
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Change your mindset.

Not saying this is you, but it applies: I see people all the time that start exercising and eating well for short periods of time, sometimes they stick to it long enough to achieve their goals, but then go back to their old habits and gain the weight back. The problem is that their mindset is backwards. They look at keeping tabs on diet and exercising more as "a chore" that they do when they need to lose a little weight. The problem is, it always comes back when you have that mindset.

However, what if you look at it in reverse? What if eating clean, keeping track of calories, and being more active becomes the norm? What if you accept doing those things as "everyday life"?

When you catch yourself counting down to the weekend because you know you can go out, binge, drink, whatever, then you know your mindset is still backwards. Once you come to terms and truly accept the "lifestyle" you won't care what day it is because it is just what you do. Of course, you still go out on occasion and celebrate things and even overeat, but those are RARE occasions, not every weekend. Once you come to terms with it in your head, it isn't a chore anymore... its just what you do.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Part of changing your mindset is to change your weekend patterns. Instead of a weekend crash on the couch, plan a trip to the park. Instead of meeting your friends for bar food and drinks, go out dancing or play a pick up game of volleyball. Instead of meeting your friend or brunch to whine about your week, find a pleasant walk that you can do at made rate pace and still talk.
  • denahuseyin
    Options

I make sure monday thru friday i eat so well then i ruin it over the weekends by going way way way overboard..

any ways i can do that less often?

i am EXCATLY the same.. helpppp :(
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I definitely have this problem too....but I find that if I run a slightly higher deficit on the weekdays then eating more on weekends still gives me a weekly deficit and I'm still lose .5-1 lb per week. As a 24 year old in a big city, I can't restrict weekend calories and have a great social life. Just can't! So I make sure I have the room for the calories and go for a long run Saturdays when I know I'll be going out Saturday night. I dunno, it works better for me....this has to be a sustainable lifestyle change and my lifestyle requires fun weekends!
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    It really is about making a lifestyle change. I am SUPER busy on weekends with the family, and we boot scoot EVERYWHERE! My mom tells me I try to fit a weeks worth of activities in two days! Even with all of that I find it easier to make the choices because I am making healthier food choices FULL-TIME! I modify my times slightly because I am usually up at 6:00 am during the week, but 7:00 am on weekends. I try to keep as close to my schedule everyday so that I am not deprived of vital sleep. Honestly, because I do that I am hardly tired EVER! Basically I have breakfast within 30 mins of waking, and eat every three hours from there. Sunday is my Splurge Day ( I do not call it cheating because I am not dieting so there is nothing to cheat on!) This is the day I might give in to that wonderful pasta dish that has too many calories to be legal! I do try to have it for lunch though so that i can burn the carbs of with afternoon activity. We also make the choice together as a family on what the splurge to be that day. My nine year old LOVES THAT! Sunday is also the day we power down! No Electronic devices allowed! It is all about us that day even if we stay in our PJ's and "Lay like Broccoli" (Pretty Woman Ref) in front of the T.V.
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    Having this mind set has me living life to the fullest, and enjoying the hell out of it even more!
  • sherryshell55
    sherryshell55 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I HAD this problem, until very recently. I find that tracking ahead, really helps to keep me on track. Before I go to bed at night, I know (and have logged) what I'm eating the next day, usually all 3 meals and snacks. If I want to eat something different, its easy enough to change it. When the weekend comes along, I try to log ahead both Saturday and Sunday on Friday night. Logging activity is also very helpful for me.
  • Sarahmeridith
    Sarahmeridith Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    This may sounds strange but this is my third time around and I think im finally getting it.... I was thinking about how hard it was to stay away from all the high calorie foods the last couple times I did this and how angry I got when everyone around me was eating pizza ect.. on saturday night. But then I was thinking I dont remember any specific food or occasion that I missed out on anything because I couldnt eat what everyone else was (or as much as everyone else was) because in the long run the food didnt matter! But if I would have stuck to it and not given in all those weekends I would all ready be to my goal, and i would rather look good on the weekend than eat all those fun weekend foods!!

Sure I still have some bad stuff sometimes but I work it into to my calories and I try to eat clean as much as possible, I have a long way to go still but so far its working!! just remember why you are doing this and know that you are strong enough to stick with it!

Pls feel free to add me!
  • tashannaturnipseed
    tashannaturnipseed Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you for starting this topic!!! I have the same problem.. I just get so busy that I forget to eat then shove food in at dinner ...Mon- Friday is so much easier!!! Thanks everyone for the tips!!:happy:
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    If you stay on track during the wek and have one "bad" day on the weekend - that may actually help you lose weight. At least for me it does. That one higher calorie day keeps my metabolism from getting stuck.

But you can't go into the weekend thinking it is ok to binge eat whatever you want. I try to plan my dinners, and I refuse to eat lunch outside of the house on the weekend unless I absolutely have to.

If you know you are going to eat higher on the weekend - then look at your caloriers planned for the week - and then work those extra calories into your daily calories.. basically eat a little less calories the rest of the week so it all evens out at the end.
  • jazzyfeisty
    Options
    I am the same too! The worst part is, I can only go to the gym tuesday- Friday, because weekends are filled with events and gatherings and usually some drinking. Between my big Italian family feeding us on Saturdays and his Polish mother stuffiing us on SUnday, I have no urge to even track the calories that they force on us. Saturday and Sunday ruin my weekday dieting, and Fridays don't always help either!

Maybe someone knows the most low-cal beers/cocktails out there or any tips to not offend the in-laws when they try to overfeed you???
  • Sarahmeridith
    Sarahmeridith Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    tips to not offend the in-laws when they try to overfeed you???

just tell them what you are trying to do, they will still try, but if they know why they will not be as offended.
  • run_way
    run_way Posts: 220
    Options
    Weekends are super tough for me, too. I get to prepare all of my meals and plan ahead of time on the weekdays, but on the weekends there are so many surprise variables.

My best defense against this has been the MFP mobile app - I log everything immediately or ahead of time if I can. I also try to eat less than I normally would in the mornings because I want to have enough wiggle room in the evenings to have some SMALL indulgences, like a couple glasses of wine or a more calorie-dense dinner.

When you go out to eat, don't order any drinks - it will save you some serious calories (and cost you less). I look up the calories in what I'm going to order before I order it, so then I know exactly what I'm getting myself into. When your food comes out, split everything in half, and only eat half, then you'll have the rest for late night snacking, and you already know how many calories are in it since you ate the other half earlier!
  • CongoClark81
    CongoClark81 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I just make sure I keep Busy! No matter what it is Im doing, as long as I keep moving and doing something, I rarely think of food or eat something I shouldnt
  • oXGetFitBabeXo
    oXGetFitBabeXo Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Wheni first met my goal weight my mother in law always said " your too skinny" , " you dont eat enough" it was ridiculas!

Its not like shes exactly trying to lose weight..

i respect the woman but i think shes over weight.

My next small goal is to only have 1 cheat day and not 3.

I have done this before... i am working hard to get back on track..

people look at me like im crazy for logging but it does work!..

KEEP IN MIND...

YOU AND I CAN DO THIS!!!

Think about how far you have come not how far you have left!
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how you would be surprised about what you will be eating or where every single weekend.. Sure, stuff comes up sometimes - but usually weekends are planned at least a few days in advance, aren't they? You would at least know if you are going to be eating at a party or a restaurant or someone's house, etc. So you can still try to plan accordingly. Unless for some reason you have no say in where or what you are eating on the weekend? But I can't think of a reason why that would happen. Maybe you go to your in-laws for dinner every Saturday. Ok, well A) tell them you are dieting and B) bring something you can eat. Same goes for any parties you go to. Going out to a restaurant? Look up their menu ahead of time if you can. If you have a say in which restaurant you go to, pick one you know has good food options for you. Don't go to McDonald's and then complain you couldn't stay on track. You have control of what you eat, if you choose to control it.
    Sorry to sound blunt, but a lof of the comments here just sound like excuses for not having willpower IMO.