Dumbells and heavy lifting

Options
Okay perfect world scenario , I would be lifting heavy in a gym. Or at the least have all the gear at home. At the moment we have a bench in the garage, which no one uses, but as it's getting cooler I might start, and I have about 40 kilos of plates and dumbbell spin locks. We also have a bar, but as my husband currently can't spot me , I don't use it. I have made strength gains recently and have moved in squats from 7kg to 8 kg on each dumbell. How much of a weight difference does using a bar make? My upper body strength isn't great , but it is improving. I know to hold the dumbells will require more upper body strength as I move up. Also dead lifts are really hard to get right will dumbells One leg dead lifts seem more possible , and I feel them in all the right places. I do know I won't be able to lift as much as using a barbell.

Do you believe a person can get strong when they only have dumbells? Can anyone recommend good solid program? I do use nrolfw as a guideline, but other suggestions welcome. As you can see from my pic I am looking kind of skinny fat :(

Replies

• domdoan
    domdoan Posts: 30
    Options
    sure you can get strong with dumbells.

higher volume training will be key. you really isolate muscles when doing dumbell exercises so keep the weight at a comfortable level.

mix up both strength and hypertrophy workouts.

ex.
    dumbell deadlifts strength 5 sets of 5 reps (all heavy)

ex,.
    dumbell bicep curls hypertrophy
    set #1 5lbsx15 reps
    set#2 7lbsx14 reps
    set#3 10lbsx13 reps
    set#4 12.5lbs x 12reps

just my 2sense
  • PaulFromEssex
    Options
    I only use dumb bells, and for heavy squats, I use wrist straps just to make sure my grip doesn't give out before my sets are complete.

I use a total body workout 3 times a week. All just with dumb bells or body weight. Oh, and no bench either!

10 exercises, super setting each two exercises.

Example
    10 reps of squats @120lb, then without rest 10 reps of shoulder shrugs @ 120lb, then rest 1 minute. x 3 sets.

I can pm you my workout if you are interested, there maybe some ideas for you in it.
  • nuttyduffy
    nuttyduffy Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Check out www.muscleandstrength.com they have some dumbbell only at home workouts that you could follow
  • Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    You can get along just fine with dumbbells depending on your goals. However, you don't have to fear the bar just because you don't have a spotter. You really shouldn't need a spotter unless you're going for PR's (personal record lifts). Check out the websites below. They can all give you a good foundation for lifting, and help you learn to do so with proper form and progression so that you minimize the risk of injury.

http://stronglifts.com/
    http://startingstrength.com/
    http://www.thenewrulesoflifting.com/
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I'm suppose to have a spotter? :p
  • notworthstalking
    notworthstalking Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I would rather have a spotter or a squat rack when using a bar, because I am a wimp. Seriously, I have had one major injury and a minor one. Both work related and improved with strength training, my husband can't work right now and we have two young kids. I have to take care of myself. More than willing to take it slower if I have too. I will check out those links. At the moment my bests are..

Squats, lunges , bent over rows, bicep curls , calf raises with 8kg in each hand. 5kg for the one leg dead lifts and shoulder press. I do a lot on my shoulders as it helps with work, but front and lateral raises are at 3.2kg. I am also working on push-ups and planks and other core. My run walk times are increasing and I feel stronger. My neck still gives me trouble from time to time, but doing weights and stretching help heaps. I work in food production and while it's not heavy as such, it's 7.5 almost non stop with rotating. Getting strong helps with clean up at the end of the night too :) thanks
  • kwilliam2
    kwilliam2 Posts: 35
    Options
    I do believe that scooby uses only dumbbells, he's a wealth of informatoin.

www.scoobysworkshop.com
  • h8fklvr
    h8fklvr Posts: 8
    Options
    I do not have the luxury of a fitness partner or spotter.. Most of all my work is completed with Dumbbells.
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I think Jari Loves workouts with weights are awesome and can get anyone into shape. I also have kettlenetics with a lighter kettlebell but its an aerobic type workout. And I have a lot Heavier Kettlebell just for extra toning in my stomach area.
  • neonemesis
    neonemesis Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    if you want to use the bar just leave the clips off the side and if your in a jam you can just tils to bar and all the weight will fall off of each side. but on that note i just use dumbell's. helps me keep a more even training of each side as with the bar i notice my right side seems to take more weight.
  • fayeonherway
    Options
    I don't have access to a regular gym with a ice free weight set up. I do have access to the gym in my aparment complex with a dumbbell rack that starts at 5 lbs and goes all the way up to 50 I believe.

I am only using dumbbells to do some 5x5 strength training sessions. When I breezing through a set, I increase the weights. I made myself a little book with illustrations and instructions I found searching the web. Youtube has tons of videos and I downloaded a few onto my iPad.

http://www.dumbbell-exercises.com/ (Has a animation to show you how to do each exercises properly)
    http://rachelsbodyshop.com/images/rachel_poster_jul2011.jpg (Tons of exercises in one illustration)
  • 0OneTwo3
    0OneTwo3 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    If you want to get stronger you could try following a program designed for strength gains. something like "starting strength" by mark rippetoe or something similar would be great for a beginner. you would need a barbell for that though and someone to check your form on the lifts.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    You could try New Rules of Lifting for Abs - I just started phase 2. It has a lot more options for dumbell exercises.
  • funhouse77
    funhouse77 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Tagging as I soon won't have much access to a barbell (borrowing one right now) so Dumbell workouts will it for me for a while, some great advice/links here!!
  • Annelies11
    Annelies11 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Bump - me too! Lifting weights with dumbells only
  • Annelies11
    Options
    I do believe that scooby uses only dumbbells, he's a wealth of informatoin.

www.scoobysworkshop.com

Awesome website!! Thank you for the link!
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    Like this, I only have dumbbells at the moment

question : when doing squats with dumbnells, how do you hold the dumbbells? Up near you your shoulders, or down by your legs??? other way?
  • Annelies11
    Options
    Like this, I only have dumbbells at the moment

question : when doing squats with dumbnells, how do you hold the dumbbells? Up near you your shoulders, or down by your legs??? other way?

I hold them up with my upper arms out straight to the sides and elbows bent 90 degrees, so they are at about the height of my ears. I'm not an expert though, but I've seen a trainer do it this way...
  • wwk10
    wwk10 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Me too (access to dumbells but not barbells)
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    bump again