Any physical therapists out there?

Options
slhall0822
slhall0822 Posts: 128 Member
Hi all!

So, I have a random question. I am currently in the midst of an early-life crisis ( I'm only 30 lol) and am considering a complete career change. I'm burned out with the corporate desk job environment and want to make a life change. I have been pondering going to massage therapy school for some time... and that led me to think about physical therapy.

Massage therapy school is MUCH shorter than physical therapy school (which requires a doctorate degree... I already have a bachelors but it is in a COMPLETELY unrelated field). It also seems like massage therapists don't make nearly as much. I'm looking for job satisfaction overall, but of course, my future salary is something I must consider.

Any physical therapists OR massage therapists out there that can offer some advice?

Thanks!

Replies

• SomersMom
    SomersMom Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Just saw your post today. I have been a physical therapist for over 25 years. It is a GREAT profession! We work in a huge variety of settings: hospitals, nursing homes, rehabilitation centers, home care, schools from preschool through college, private practice, amateur and professional sports teams, dance companies, etc… Going back to school is a challenge but definitely worthwhile. Another thing to consider is to look at PT Assistant programs which will get you into the work force more quickly and then you can pursue a PT program. You will need to discuss with the schools if you can do some prerequisites at a local college to make up for what you might be missing with your current bachelors. Look at http://www.apta.org/Careers/ for more information on careers within Physical Therapy. Another suggestion is to see if you can volunteer or work as a tech in a local practice to see if it's a career for you and to see the PTA's and PT's in action. A friend of mine started volunteering and they made a part-time tech position for her. She is in her 40's and is considering getting her degree as a PTA. Good luck!