Two Weeks & No Weight Loss

Options
I've set up my goals in the hopes of losing 1 lb. each week...but since logging on MFP and working out routinely, I still have not seen a drop when weighing myself. I know I'm being impatient, but it's frustrating when I feel like I work out really hard.

Realistically, when can I plan to see real changes? I think I am most in need of advice or general motivation to keep me going.

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    How tall are you?
  • MadisonLeo
    Options
    Takes about 4 weeks for your body to realize what is going on, and to determine that your change in diet is not sending it into starvation mode.

Also make sure you are NETTING your calorie goal and it is not the total amount you are eating for the day. Example? If your calorie goal is 1500, you can eat 2000, but just exercise to bring yourself back down under 1500. This way you have the energy you need to work out and be satisfied for the day and your body knows you are not starving it, so you will burn more calories when you work out.

Hope this helps!
  • Curleycue0314
    Curleycue0314 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    DONT GIVE UP!!!!!! It took me awhile to get the first few pounds off. I found that i WAY overestimated my calories burned until I got a heart rate monitor., BOTH MFP and the Machines at the gym WAY over estimate for instance, My spinning ride last night said 897(by the machine) but based off of my average heart rate and the time I burned more like 627 (based off of using a heart rate monifor). Make sure you are being as accuate as possible becuase that could have mean the difference in 200 calories that i would have eaten back when i didn't need to. Try using a heart rate monitor to track your calories burned. It is MUCH more accuate! Just keep going and keep up your hard work!
  • amtzfamly
    amtzfamly Posts: 12
    Options
    Are you meeting your minimum cal intake? It could be that your body might be in starvation mode and not allowing yourself to lose the weight. If you don't have one yet, I'd recommend buying a calorie counter. I use bodymedia, and it's pretty good at showing me how many calories I burn a day.
  • colie9706
    Options
    I am 5'2'' and 132lbs.
  • colie9706
    Options
    It varies, sometimes I go over my intake a little bit, and other days I'm under by 100-200 cals. I usually run 30+ minutes or do the elliptical, I shoot to burn 300 cals with each workout which I *think* is modest. Trying to underestimate calories burned and overestimate calories consumed...
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It took almost 4 weeks for me to see a loss. Then I lost regularly for a while, then it tapered off and was more sporadic near the end.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Did you workout prior to starting MFP? Often when you start a new exercise program you will produce extra cortisol and this will cause you to retain water. Also, if your muscles are not used to the exercise, they can be repairing themselves, and that also causes water retention. Nevermind that your weight can fluctuate a few pounds on any given day due to water.

Basically, keep doing what you're doing and give it time.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Since you are already a healthy weight, set your goal to .5 lb. per week.

What kind of workouts are you doing? Strength training will help reshape and define your body.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    It's obvious that you don't have much to lose. It takes longer! You cannot expect to lose a pound per week at 132 pounds, especially if you might be building muscle.

I still have 30-40 pounds to go and I am no longer losing even a pound per week (or even if I do, it doesn't show every week). So what. My body will get where it wants to be eventually. I've picked a lifestyle that is sustainable for me for life; there is no finish line. Sometimes I'm going a month without seeing a loss on the scale, but my body continues to improve.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Just a couple of observations...

1.) You're already at a healthy weight for your stats...you're pretty much right where my wife was a few months ago. When you're at a healthy weight, your body is very reluctant to let go of the fat. My wife primarily focused her attention on hitting the weight room with me 3x weekly and doing 30 minutes of aerobic zone cardio 3x weekly. She's actually not even counting calories at this point. She's only lost 4 Lbs in the past 3 months, but she's really benefited from hitting the weights. She's dropped some fat and she's really "toning" up and looking good these days. In summary, she's really focusing more on body composition and changing that rather than big calorie deficits. She's a pretty clean eater and had to give up dairy due to some other issues, but other than that she doesn't overly concern herself with counting every calorie like I do.

2.) Pretty much relates to #1...focus on body re-composition...this means lifting weights. No amount of cardio or dieting is going to give you that tight and toned look...it takes resistance to achieve that look.
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options

1.) You're already at a healthy weight for your stats...you're pretty much right where my wife was a few months ago. When you're at a healthy weight, your body is very reluctant to let go of the fat. My wife primarily focused her attention on hitting the weight room with me 3x weekly and doing 30 minutes of aerobic zone cardio 3x weekly. She's actually not even counting calories at this point. She's only lost 4 Lbs in the past 3 months, but she's really benefited from hitting the weights. She's dropped some fat and she's really "toning" up and looking good these days. In summary, she's really focusing more on body composition and changing that rather than big calorie deficits. She's a pretty clean eater and had to give up dairy due to some other issues, but other than that she doesn't overly concern herself with counting every calorie like I do.

2.) Pretty much relates to #1...focus on body re-composition...this means lifting weights. No amount of cardio or dieting is going to give you that tight and toned look...it takes resistance to achieve that look.

This says pretty much everything I was thinking. The closer you are to your goal, the harder it is to lose. 1 pound/week is a lofty and probably unrealistic goal at your height/weight.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

RE: #2 agree that resistance is key, disagree that it must mean weights. I've had great success with cardio mixed with plyometrics (Turbo Fire) and bodyweight exercises in reducing BF and toning up in general.

I'm not suggesting there anything wrong with lifting weights, but there are alternatives for those that don't enjoy lifting or have access to weights.
  • VoiceOfTrenton
    VoiceOfTrenton Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    If you weren't active before, it's going to take longer for your body to turn around and go from, "I'll barely cooperate with you" to "I can't wait until we exercise again!"

If you're close to your goal weight or within a healthy weight range, the last pounds will take more effort than the first.

All of it involves reasonable goals: you may not lose a pound a week now, and then lose two pounds a week later.

All of it yo-yos: don't despair if your weight comes back up and goes down again; if you stick with it, it's always going to be an overall downhill trend.

All of it depends on what I call "The Good Health Tripod": Diet + Exercise + Sleep. Kick one leg out from under the tripod, the whole thing topples.

Don't stop! And don't give up! Just accept that nature isn't on a perfect timetable but your body will eventually reward your efforts.
  • colie9706
    Options
    Thanks for all the great advice everyone.

It makes sense that it's harder for me to lose quickly...I need to remember that so I don't get frustrated and give up! I've been focusing on running because I would like to be able to run longer distances, but I'm going to have to start incorporating weights...

As for water retention, I've noticed I am bloated quite often as opposed to 3-4 years ago...not really sure why, or why I am always retaining so much water...

Thanks again everyone!
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged :) Keep at it and do what you need to do, it'll come off :)