How Much Did You Pay For Your Heart Rate Monitor?

Options
I am interested in buying a heart rate monitor but when I looked online they were like 40+ bucks! I am on a tight budget right now and I am hoping to spend less then that. I am just a poor college girl :P Would buying a used one from ebay be just as good?

Replies

• pfenixa
    pfenixa Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I bought my HRM for $27 at Walmart. I've read people that think it doesn't work right but I bought one a couple weeks ago and it's worked perfectly fine. It's Sportline, the S7 HR Monitor. It counts HR, has a clock with the date, an alarm, a stop watch, and it counts calories burned. I guess the gripe is that it's most effective if you reguarly have it check your HR by pushing the button on the front, which can be a pain if you push it too hard. The instructions even say push it "gently" but when I first got it I was getting so mad pushing hard on the button and getting no reading. If you're not after one that counts calories (which I always figure is what people really want it for) I'm sure you can find cheaper, but this one counts my calories just fine for the price.
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    $40? You must have found one that doesn't have a chest strap or doesn't track calories because they are usually $70+. I paid $70 for a Timex Personal Trainer w/ chest strap and tracks calories.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    My wife paid about $90 for my Polar Ft7
  • sexyvirgo911
    Options
    Yes you need the chest strap to get accurates readings. I purchased mine at Big5, it was on sale for $50 (oregon HRM) . It works great & tracks eveything. HR, BMI, Fat %, calories, speed, distance, stopwatch & its waterproof. Check out the sunday sale papers. Ebay is ggod but you have to pay for shipping on most items & the price youd pay is almost retail.
  • surlydave
    surlydave Posts: 512 Member
    Options

Damn, I couldn't find an FT7 for less than $100. But I agree, anything that cheap must come without a chest strap, which means it's not as reliable. If you are on track with your goals, I wonder if you even need one.
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    My wife got me the Sportsline and after a week and a half it started malfunctioning. It would try to take readings when I wasn't even wearing it and when I would wear it would stop taking reading about 20-25 min. into a workout. I'll be returning mine this afternoon.
  • SoliQ
    SoliQ Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    http://www.gtmstores.com/i-3821440-mio-motiva-stride-heart-rate-watch.html

I got mine and lov to get the accurate calories burned.
  • Gerkenstein
    Gerkenstein Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend you read this before purchasing one. It has really helped me and I'll be purchasing the Polar FT7 from their website for about $120

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak?month=201003
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I paid $30 for mine on a closeout sale. It originally retailed for $90.

If you don't get the ones with the chest strap that continually monitor your heart rate, you might as well get nothing. The other ones only measure your heart rate when you put your thumb on them so in between times you take a reading, your HR could be varying wildly.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options

Damn, I couldn't find an FT7 for less than $100. But I agree, anything that cheap must come without a chest strap, which means it's not as reliable. If you are on track with your goals, I wonder if you even need one.

I remember her saying she went back to the site, I think it was amazon and it was more so I think it was on sale
  • snmonson
    snmonson Posts: 79
    Options
    The ones I was looking at were watches.. DAMN! Okay haha looks like I will have to start saving. They really seem worth it to me.
  • InsanityLover
    Options
    I got mine at eBay for ONLY $5.99 ... It's the same one they have at WalMart that cost almost $30 ... I love my HRM! =)
  • doodlbug
    doodlbug Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    This is one time where paying a little extra is really worth it. I got a Timex that retails for about $90 for about $66 on Amazon and it is definitely worth the money.
  • Joscelle
    Joscelle Posts: 93
    Options
    I got my polar f6 from sears for just under $53.00 (has a chest strap, normally around $100 not on sale).