Why do people listen to Dr. Oz?

Options
No really-it's a serious question. To those that buy into whatever he says...why...why do you do this...?

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Because having a magic pill, powder or potion is a hell of a lot easier than eating right and exercise. Who wants to do any real work when you can be lazy and just take some magic fairy dust and lose 100 lbs overnight?!
  • Griffin220x
    Griffin220x Posts: 399
    Options
    Because having a magic pill, powder or potion is a hell of a lot easier than eating right and exercise. Who wants to do any real work when you can be lazy and just take some magic fairy dust and lose 100 lbs overnight?!

Yup^
  • wolf23
    wolf23 Posts: 4,161 Member
    Options
    Because Oprah told people to.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I've heard it said that because he's a thoracic surgeon he knows what he's talking about. Unfortunately for him, his father who is also a thoracic surgeon has been begging him to return to "real" medicine for years...
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    I've heard it said that because he's a thoracic surgeon he knows what he's talking about. Unfortunately for him, his father who is also a thoracic surgeon has been begging him to return to "real" medicine for years...

LoL...I think it's this and the Oprah thing.

He in fact IS and MD...so he's a doctor...therefore whatever he says must be true...In my opinion, doctors that buy into acai berries, raspberry ketones or green coffee bean extract...sell-out/hack/quack...insert your own phrase here.

He also was on Oprah so he MUST be a genius.
  • rekite2000
    rekite2000 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Because people believe "authority" figures. He is a doctor therefore I should listen. Look at the Milgram experiment- a guy in a white coat tells people to electrute someone, and they say "okay".
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    He in fact IS and MD...so he's a doctor...therefore whatever he says must be true

This.

I had to convince my mother that this guy was a quack. Told her, "Would you take dad to see a cardiologist for his Parkenson's? Then why do you listen to this guy and believe anything about the skittles he tells you to buy working?"
  • mohanj
    mohanj Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I do watch Dr. OZ if the topic interests me. He does talk about lot of alternate medicine and other things which are educational and informational. Just because I watch him occasionally does not mean I do everything he tells us to do. I pick and choose what I like. For example, my husband had hit a plateau in his weight loss journey for a few months and he tried Dr. OZ's 3 day detox diet and he did loose 3 lbs in 3 days and maintaining it. The information could have come from anyone but just hit my husband when he was watching the show. I never buy any supplements.

Why does it bother people if someone chooses to watch and listen to Dr. OZ? There are quite a few talk shows every day and I don't hear people complaining about those. Why complain about him? I like to listen to him because his shows are worth watching. Hope I answered your question.

Dr. Oz is a cardiac surgeon and not a thoracic surgeon.
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    inb4 flame war.
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Doctors are always right! :huh: :yawn: :sick:
  • JenniferMary_9169
    Options

^^^^^^ THIS!!! :flowerforyou:
  • lisasch67
    lisasch67 Posts: 135 Member
    Options

Has anyone seen what Oprah looks like lately??
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Because they are lazy and sitting on the couch watching him, instead of doing something productive
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I think that it has to do with the shows that begin by saying "Gaining weight....it's not your fault" and then they follow it up with "You don't even have to exercise.....just eat this and not that and the weight will fall right off."

Then all you have to do is turn and go "damn I guess choosing to eat crappy food in the past and sitting on my *kitten* must not have been the real reason it must have been ______." Sure!
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Because Dr. Oz makes a lot of money burying an ounce of truth in a ton of horse****.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

You might want to google thoracic surgeon. Just saying...
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    all I can say is no dont do it..............

I have a hard time swallowing anything that man says since he is primarily being PAID to advertise these things. He is making money of people being GULLIBLE!

I am sure the herbal stuff is informative - but does he also tell you that if you are taking other meds, the herbs can MESS with regular medications?

Quit buying what the sell out is spewing.
  • brentalanrhodes
    brentalanrhodes Posts: 82 Member
    Options

This /\
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    I do watch Dr. OZ if the topic interests me. He does talk about lot of alternate medicine and other things which are educational and informational. Just because I watch him occasionally does not mean I do everything he tells us to do. I pick and choose what I like. For example, my husband had hit a plateau in his weight loss journey for a few months and he tried Dr. OZ's 3 day detox diet and he did loose 3 lbs in 3 days and maintaining it. The information could have come from anyone but just hit my husband when he was watching the show. I never buy any supplements.

Why does it bother people if someone chooses to watch and listen to Dr. OZ? There are quite a few talk shows every day and I don't hear people complaining about those. Why complain about him? I like to listen to him because his shows are worth watching. Hope I answered your question.

I can see that...I'm not referring to individuals such as yourself that may pick and choose.

I'm referring to those who buy into everything he says...supplements...alternative medicines that may/may not work...people who base their weight loss and health off of what he says...

Thank you for your honest input. I respect your opinion.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    ignorance.

that's not the same as stupidity. ignorance just means not educated or knowledgeable about a subject.

his viewing audience is largely ignorant of the topics discussed on his show. they are inclined to believe him because they like him and they give him more trust than he deserves because of his notoriety and MD degree.