Ok for me to Eat back the calories i've burned?

Options
I do cardio for a couple or reasons. To be more healthy , And get rid of my blood circulation problems.

I'm currently on a 1300 calorie diet , today I walked/Jogged for an hour which burned around 300 calories , but I eat them back because i'd just rather eat if im hungry as long as i don't go over my calories...

So is it ok for me to eat back the calories i've burned for the sake of not being hungry and lose motivation?

Replies

• eamartin
    eamartin Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Yes, You've earned them!
  • MrsPeek
    MrsPeek Posts: 12
    Options
    Yes! Sometimes I exercise just so I can eat more! LOL!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Yes - MFP is set up that you are supposed to eat them back! Your daily goal already has you a deficit before exercise, meaning eat to goal, do zero exercise, and you would still lose weight. Adding the exercise creates too larger a deficit, which is not good.
  • eamartin
    eamartin Posts: 216 Member
    Options

lol me too..
  • IRollC30
    IRollC30 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I do cardio for a couple or reasons. To be more healthy , And get rid of my blood circulation problems.

I'm currently on a 1300 calorie diet , today I walked/Jogged for an hour which burned around 300 calories , but I eat them back because i'd just rather eat if im hungry as long as i don't go over my calories...

So is it ok for me to eat back the calories i've burned for the sake of not being hungry and lose motivation?

When I started doing MFP I would not dare eat my exercise calories back. I did this for about 6 months and then started experiencing serious bouts of fatigue. I have found that if I eat most of my exercise calories back I not only feel better, I'm less likely to binge and my weight loss is more consistent.

Bottom line - eat back your calories, just don't go over.
  • Tachyonic
    Tachyonic Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    If you want to NET 1,300 calories as your goal, meaning that if you exercise off 300 calories, you are then able to add this on, so you'd EAT a total of 1,600 calories, definitely eat back your calories!
  • tonytoo
    tonytoo Posts: 307
    Options
    If you *don't* eat back the calories you might find yourself lacking the energy to exercise pretty soon. Eat and enjoy!
  • barb1241
    barb1241 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Not only is it "okay" but MFP is set up so you are SUPPOSED to eat them back so that your NET is the 1300 or whatever it tells you.

1300 plus 300 exercise == 1600 calories. You should eat that many At the bottom of your food diary, where it has the macro totals for the day-it shows what you've eaten and what your daily goal is. If you log your exercise, it will increase the goal for the day based on your exercise.

Hope that helps!
  • GURLEY_GIRL3
    GURLEY_GIRL3 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I EAT BACK IF IM HUNGRY..IF NOT I DONT. IM NOT GOING TO FORCE MYSELF TO EAT. ANYWAY MOST OF THE TIME IM HUNGRY!! LOL
  • billyboombox
    Options
    Absolutely!!! It is recommended to replace your calories lost with high in protein, low in fat foods... The calories you've burned are from stored fat deposits and the food you should be eating to replace those calories should enable you further to reach your weight loss goals. GO GO GO Lean Proteins, Fruits & Veggies!!!!!!
  • missymakayla
    missymakayla Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I find that if I eat my cal back, i don't loose weight. Everyone is different, It depends on you....
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    Yes - MFP is set up that you are supposed to eat them back! Your daily goal already has you a deficit before exercise, meaning eat to goal, do zero exercise, and you would still lose weight. Adding the exercise creates too larger a deficit, which is not good.
    this.

MFP is already at a deficit, and for most folks.. it's not really that accurate.
  • Ferniand
    Ferniand Posts: 9
    Options
    Awesome :) , Thanks everyone , Good to hear i can eat lots :D
  • momofthreesons
    momofthreesons Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    That's why I do it, well one of the reasons anyway.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    also, for an 18 year old that's working out, you're more than likely undereating by a deficit that is too large. You'll lose weight at first, but it'll stop... and you'll wind up with a screwy metabolism.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

go to that site.

put your information in.

find out what your BMR/TDEE are supposed to be.
  • DorisInTheDena
    DorisInTheDena Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Typically, I eat back about 1/2. I had to see what worked for me. Experiment and see what works for you.
  • HealthyWarrior
    HealthyWarrior Posts: 394 Member
    Options

Definitely have done this a handful of times lol
  • dmeyers1969
    dmeyers1969 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    yup. eat them back
  • nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    If you're hungry, eat them. If you're not, don't. Sometimes I do. Sometimes I don't...lol
  • DanikaAtkins
    Options
    I've only been able to make real progress by NOT eating back the calories I've burned. Lately, I haven't been logging my exercise at all. Even though I use a heart rate monitor, it's not 100% accurate and does not take into account my BMR. An accurate representation would be calories burned minus my BMR for the hour. The calculators that MFP offers are a good estimate, but are DEFINITELY not accurate. At the end of the day, I decided not to make myself crazy and just skip it altogether.

However, if I go over by a few calories I don't beat myself up. I tend to feel better when I do not eat my calories back. That's just me.