low or no carbs

Options
17forbes
17forbes Posts: 33 Member
Hi.
I am contemplating doing a low cardor no card diet to kick start a faster weight loss. So i can then maintain my weight at the new healthy level.
Any advice..
Ps i know about BMR and TDEE but was considering the low carb only as a short term idea.

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Hi.
    I am contemplating doing a low cardor no card diet to kick start a faster weight loss. So i can then maintain my weight at the new healthy level.
    Any advice..
    Ps i know about BMR and TDEE but was considering the low carb only as a short term idea.

If you are concerned with fat loss and not weight loss, low carb doesn't offer significantly greater fat loss than other diets holding protein and cals constant
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Go no carb and die of constipation.
  • Squamation
    Squamation Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Unless you plan on doing the low/no carb long term I would keep your carbs at their current level. Focus instead on eating whole grain and complex carbs.
  • iLoveMyAR15
    iLoveMyAR15 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    IMO dont do it if you cant stick with it long term; once you stop you will gain the weight back, sometimes more.
  • SwimSoccerTaxi
    SwimSoccerTaxi Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Low and no carb will give you the same results as proper portions (weigh portions) and good nutrition (no processed foods and proper macros) but you won't feel deprived, light headed or dizzy. You will also find working out and the recovery difficult without the proper nutrition. I'm currently reading "Food for Fitness" which is geared to athletes (I have 2 adolescent athletes) and the information on carbs is very interesting. Your body needs them for immediate fuel. Your brain needs them to function. Do the research and then decide what is best for you. My premise is always...."Can I do this forever"....if you can't then don't start!
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    You could look into keto. A lot of people have had success with it.

Here's some info about it: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gZfJejOM8fJsX1iCilmnpp1qmT_KncJwWCR4-EsaEHc/edit?pli=1

http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq
  • 17forbes
    17forbes Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I dont tend to sustain it as a lifestyle change. But i am peri- menopausal so my body wants to hold onto any fat and store it round my middle, i just want to get my body to use what is already stored and then sustain it.
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Balance your intake of carbs and be mindful what kind of carbs you are consuming. My carbs look high but in reality most of them for the most part are from fruits and veggies. Simple carbs in morning thus far has worked. Complex throughout the day. The added bonus to the latter is the fiber. As a female guidelines state you should be around 25 a day. Between the balance of complex carbs and protein along with low sodium I am finding being hungry a deficit atm even an issue as to why I am not getting hungry.
  • Phrakman
    Phrakman Posts: 113
    Options
    I dont tend to sustain it as a lifestyle change. But i am peri- menopausal so my body wants to hold onto any fat and store it round my middle, i just want to get my body to use what is already stored and then sustain it.

Then you will need a calorie deficit not macro elimination.
  • keola64
    keola64 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Bad carbs are no good..But carbs from good sources = fuel for your body , protein for sustaining muscle mass while on a low calorie diet, cut any excess sugars and alcohol as it is a high contributer to belly fat, make sure your fats are healthy fats, manage your macros and get a lot of high paced cardio. But cutting out good carbs is in necessary.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    You could look into keto. A lot of people have had success with it.

Here's some info about it: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gZfJejOM8fJsX1iCilmnpp1qmT_KncJwWCR4-EsaEHc/edit?pli=1

http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq

This. Keto is a great sustainable option.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    The big "jump start" of low carb is mostly water weight. After the first month the actual fat loss continues at a steady but lower pace. If you just want to jump start your weight loss with low carb and then switch to a higher carb diet, don't bother. It won't work. Your jump start will be just water weight. As soon as you increase your carbs the water weight will come back.

I have maintained a very low carb diet for almost a year now. I do so because of the benefits I get from low carb living. There are too many to list but they include diabetes control and it's the only way my body loses weight.
  • grandmastime
    grandmastime Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I went low carb. Not by choice. However I found out that I have to take a fiber supplement to keep me from getting bound up. I am also in peri menopause and found that adding supplements help with both the holding weight at bay and balancing my hormones.
  • OkieTink
    OkieTink Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    What's the difference between keto and Atkins?
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    A keto diet is any low carb diet that keeps your carb intake low enough for your body to be in ketosis. Ketosis is when your body is burning fat which produces ketones for energy.

The Atkins diet is a specific low carb diet. I've never been on the Atkins diet. My understanding is that in the induction phase of Atkins the carb level is low enough to be in ketosis. Subsequent phases increase the amount of carbs. I don't know if the amount continues to be low enough for ketosis.
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options

For the purposes of the BroSci level of info on here, they are pretty similar. Atkins is keto, but keto isn't necessarily atkins.
  • tracymat
    tracymat Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I recently tried Keto and I just couldn't eat that much fat. I still try to maintain "low carb" but I think I have my carb macro set to 20%.
  • tracymat
    tracymat Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Keto is actually low carb, moderate protein and HIGH fat.

Atkins pushes high protein a little more.
  • peggysue218
    peggysue218 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Go no carb and die of constipation.

True statement. I did low carb (under 20 g a day) for two weeks about a month ago. I lost 8 lbs but gained 2 back so I quit. Basically, it was hell and it isn't worth it. Low cal is as good if not better for dropping lbs.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    This. Keto is a great sustainable option.

Keto is not sustainable and should not be done for more than a week, maybe two.